Did you mean: 
Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

Shocking....just Shocking

13 Replies
Snooky1953
Senior Contributor

Re: Shocking....just Shocking

I don't see how you can buy into that timeline and still buy into the Bible's timeline.  I'm pretty sure I read here about that according to the Bible, things aren't millions of years old like some believe.  Can't put my finger on it but pretty sure that was posted.  Aside from the timeline, what is so shocking?  Just look at how our American ancestors are on record for some pretty shocking treatment of "lesser" souls through out history.  Other groups have also done some pretty bad things to others they considered beneath them.  By omission, you condone a lot of talk along those lines right here with the comments of CB and lippy.

hardnox604008
Advisor

The theory is losing support but it was once proposed that the red hair mutation in humans came from our neanderthal ancestors. Current thinking is that it is a different and distinct mutation.

Being descended from a red haired Irish grandfather I'd kinda liked the thought of being part neanderthal.

Probably just as well now, though, as I don't really like thinking about being a prey species. A friends college age sister made me feel like one once, though.

KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

I wouldn't take much stock in that article if I were you. First question I have is if Neanderthals were food prey for stone age Homo Sapiens, then why aren't Neanderthol bones (with butchering marks) found along with the bones of other prey in Homo sapien archeological sites? If Neanderthosl were eaten and thrown in the trash heap with all the other food trash, then were are their bones? The answer is elsewhere because this is a junk article. (notice I omitted the word "science.")

Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

Actually if you want to do some "digging", you will find previous archeological articles that do report findings of Neanderthals being eaten.

One large find of Neanderthal bones had clear scrapings on the bones and evidence of bone marrow being sucked out. I think this was at the Spanish site that was long thought to be the last stand of the Neanderthals. First reports said that the Neanderthals, a pretty social and peaceful group according to most, ate their own.

Later reports have scientists owning up the to fact that "we", ie modern man, ate the Neanderthals. People hate to admit their own evil.

Understanding our past is crucial to both policing ourselves, and to welcoming faith and spirituality into our souls.

KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

I thought those sites were Neanderthal sites with Neanderthal remains in them and not Homo sapiens sites with Neanderthal remains in them. Makes a difference.

Samnospam
Advisor

"By omission, you condone a lot of talk along those lines right here with the comments of CB and lippy." bull, I'm responsible for what I post and what I agree with by affirmation. Same as you.
johnaa
Advisor

What's for supper

What the matter?  Do you believe man has always been civilized.  Europeans were lice infested, they didn't even take a shower before bed, didn't even have a change of clothes.  It's not like the movies where everyone is dressed in clean wrinkle free duds and had compassion for others.

Cannibalism was part on human evolution, I mean meat is meat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannibalism#Pre-history

snip-- In 2003 a publication in Science received a large amount of press attention when it suggested that early humans may have practiced extensive cannibalism.[19][20] According to this research, genetic markers commonly found in modern humans worldwide suggest that today many people carry a gene that evolved as protection against the brain diseases that can be spread by consuming human brain tissue.[21

Some anthropologists, such as Tim White, suggest that ritual cannibalism was common in human societies prior to the beginning of the Upper Paleolithic period. This theory is based on the large amount of "butchered human" bones found in Neanderthal and other Lower/Middle Paleolithic sites.[45] Cannibalism in the Lower and Middle Paleolithic may have occurred because of food shortages.[46] It has been also suggested that removing dead bodies through ritual cannibalism might been a means of predator control, aiming to eliminate predators' and scavengers' access to hominid (and early human) bodies.[47] Jim Corbett proposed that after major epidemics, when human corpses are easily accessible to predators, there are more cases of man-eating leopards,[48] so removing dead bodies through ritual cannibalism (before the cultural traditions of burying and burning bodies appeared in human history) might have had practical reasons for hominids and early humans to control predation.

In Gough's Cave, England, remains of human bones and skulls, around 15,000 years old, suggest that cannibalism took place amongst the people living in or visiting the cave,[49] and that they may have used human skulls as drinking vessels.[50][51]

According to one historical account, aboriginal tribes of Australia were "most certainly cannibals", and would willingly eat anyone who was killed in a fight; they would also eat men famed for their fighting ability who had died natural deaths "... out of pity and consideration for the body".[52]

KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

Johnaa - the assumer

I don't have a problem saying Homo sapiens were (are) cannibalistic. We all know there is evidence of cannibalism through human history. What I have a problem with is saying that Homo sapiens ate all the Neanderthals on a regular basis when there is no evidence to support that in the archeological record. The article cited that presumably butchered Neanderthal remains were found only in Neanderthal sites so far. Call me a stickler for truth. I also don't think being cannibalistic concludes or precludes being "civilized." Were the people in the Donner party "uncivilized?" Hardly. They were survivors. The Anasazi resorted to cannibalism at times, but they had a intricate culture that I would call civilization.

I am quite aware of the Paleolithic era and things that happened in that time, but I just thought the presumption that Neanderthals were regular prey of Homo sapiens, when there is no proof of such, needed correction. Could it have happened - sure. But before I would state that it happened, I would require proof, otherwise it is idle speculation.

r3020
Senior Advisor

Re: Johnaa - the assumer

@KNAPPer wrote:

I don't have a problem saying Homo sapiens were (are) cannibalistic. We all know there is evidence of cannibalism through human history. What I have a problem with is saying that Homo sapiens ate all the Neanderthals on a regular basis when there is no evidence to support that in the archeological record. The article cited that presumably butchered Neanderthal remains were found only in Neanderthal sites so far. Call me a stickler for truth. I also don't think being cannibalistic concludes or precludes being "civilized." Were the people in the Donner party "uncivilized?" Hardly. They were survivors. The Anasazi resorted to cannibalism at times, but they had a intricate culture that I would call civilization.

I am quite aware of the Paleolithic era and things that happened in that time, but I just thought the presumption that Neanderthals were regular prey of Homo sapiens, when there is no proof of such, needed correction. Could it have happened - sure. But before I would state that it happened, I would require proof, otherwise it is idle speculation.

There was a story just a few days ago where a terrorist cut the liver out of his victim and ate it. Well, he thought it was his liver. A medical dude who viewed the video said he ate a lung.