cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Should we stop paying taxes?

I mean if the government is broke and shutdown then why send money to them?  I wouldn't send money to a closed store.

5 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Should we stop paying taxes?

Even if you owed them money. I've paid bills to closed businesses before because I owed them. I don't know why anyone wouldn't. Except if you are chiseler and don't pay your bills.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

If I'm not getting the services that I am paying for how do you justify charging me?

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Without fudging the truth, what percentage of your gross turnover would you pay in taxes?  It might surprise you to find out who is paying the taxes.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

You are paying for the services you already got. You owe the money because the tax code says you owe it.

They don't have to justify it. They have the law on their side.

Paying what you owe to a business that has closed is particularly important. Thus helping the proprietor to square up as many of his loose ends as he can. I don't know what logic you would use to stiff him.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Well assuming that a closed business was like the government and it didn't actually produce anything but offered an alleged service then when it closed I could no longer get that service so I don't think I would continue paying a service based company that no longer provided the service I had been paying for, for 50 years.

If I had actually received some goods that were in my possesion and I hadn't paid for them then I would leagally and morally be responsible to pay.

Notice the difference?  The government isn't giving me the services that it is supposed to and I've been paying for 50 years.  Now that it allegedly is going to quit even pretending to offer service why should I pay my taxes?