cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single Payer Priorities II

I was pondering something this weekend.  So many of the O'mama supporters are fanatics about the central government being the sole provider of health resources to the population.

Health care is important.  However, eating is even more important to life.  Food is a "right", yes?   So, in like fashion, I propose the idea of the central government be in the complete control over all things regarding food and nutrition.

The central government has the only and final say on who grows any food supplies, regulates the grower's vocation and decides the compensation that farmers should receive.  The central government then decides on what, and how much food people are to be given from the government supply.

This will ensure that the central government will be in charge of who gets to eat and who gets to eat what is decided for them.

Since Dale loves the "Affordable Healthcare Act" so much, he will truly love the new "Affordable Nutrition Act".

"Free" food for all!   Well, all those who support the Central Government, that is.  

It seems that the original thread is not allowed to be brought to the top any longer.  Okie Dokie, fine.  I can cut and paste the major parts of it up to a new thread to continue the conversation of what the role of the All Mighty Federal Government is with every detail of our daily lives.    

38 Replies

Re: Single Payer Priorities II

@kraft-t wrote:

Is that You or I need not be a trained professional or need a disinfected environment to give a guy a sandwich. We can do that most anywhere and keep them from starving if we so wish.

Medical care requires a trained professional and a clean environment with medical equipment  and skill to provide that service. Yes we already do provide government services to assist in feeding the hungry as we should.

You are still side stepping the premise that Food is the most important "right" that everyone can claim.  Most folks can live quite a while without any medical care, but no one can live without a guaranteed supply of Food.   Food is too important to trust to the free market to implement.  Food should be regulated to everyone as to their needs and not one mouthful more.  The prices paid to farmers to grow it must be set by the Federal Government as to insure fairness to all, yes?

The all knowing Federal Government knows better as to what crops must be grown and who is allowed to grow it.  Only the Federal Government can be trusted with such an important part of our daily needs, yes?

@r3020 wrote:

@kraft-t wrote:

Are You saying government ought to take your farm subsidies and subsidize cigarettes and soda pop?

Don't go the new york or california for your transfats. Stay where you are to insure your freedom from such oppression.

I swear you would complain if you were hung with a new rope!

Only in the world of Mr. Don Kraft is not taxing something labeled a subsidy. You want to stop obesity, tax insulin.

Ooooooh, That is hitting Don where he lives!  :smileylol:

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

You're not comparing apples to apples. 

To be the same, the government would buy all your food for you, and for the most part decide what you eat.

They would then put price caps on how much could be charged for said food.

On top of that, if the farmers or ranchers make too much profit anyway, they will have to give everyone a 'refund' of any excess income they may have recieved.

Let me know if I missed anything.

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

I have personal experience that there is PLENTY of training and disenfecting done in the food chain.  The single biggest reason we don't have a neighborhood butcher shop anymore, is because of all the special rules and regulations that must be followed, in order to run one.  You would be amazed at the reguations anymore. 
Our local grocery store can no longer do anything more to meat than slice it at the Deli.  Can't even grind hamburger, because there are products containing wheat or wheat flour within 100 feet of the meat grinder.  Can't make thier own sausages or ring bologna anymore for the same reason.

@Nebrfarmr wrote:

You're not comparing apples to apples. 

To be the same, the government would buy all your food for you, and for the most part decide what you eat.

They would then put price caps on how much could be charged for said food.

On top of that, if the farmers or ranchers make too much profit anyway, they will have to give everyone a 'refund' of any excess income they may have recieved.

Let me know if I missed anything.

Yes, you have it pretty much covered.  To make sure that everyone was fed fairly, the government would have to have everything from genetics of seed to distribution of actual food under their control.  Much the same way as the Obamacare program will have to work.

@Nebrfarmr wrote:

I have personal experience that there is PLENTY of training and disinfecting done in the food chain.  The single biggest reason we don't have a neighborhood butcher shop anymore, is because of all the special rules and regulations that must be followed, in order to run one.  You would be amazed at the regulations anymore. 
Our local grocery store can no longer do anything more to meat than slice it at the Deli.  Can't even grind hamburger, because there are products containing wheat or wheat flour within 100 feet of the meat grinder.  Can't make their own sausages or ring bologna anymore for the same reason.

The big food "players" would welcome total control of the food chain by the Central Government.  That way they could make sure that no other competitors would show up on the scene to cut into their action.

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Bull crap

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

more bull crap

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

piled higher and deeper!