cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sniper beats Jesus

Overtakes The Passion of the Christ as highest grossing 1st month release of an R rated movie. What a country.
17 Replies
Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

Re: Sniper beats Jesus

Hollywood might want to take note of that...two top grossing movies are from Clint Eastwood and Mel Gibson, and not from some liberal bar mitzah producer.

Taking back America starts with taking back the media.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

I still haven`t seen "Passion of the Christ" even through I think it can be bought in the $5 bin at WallyWorld.   i`m sure it is very powerful, it`s just too emotional, given the story, it`s all compacted into the last hours of Jesus` life.   "Sniper" has been out awhile and I haven`t seen it, next week it comes to our local community run theater and I`ll support it there.  As I understand, Sniper isn`t a John Wayne rah-rah movie, it shows the gritty side of the entanglements that our politicians get us in and the broken kids that come back in the aftermath for the years to come.

A neighbor and I were talking about war awhile ago and he wonders why the WWII generation went through war and PTSD didn`t seem to affect them at the high rates as today`s wars and wondered out loud "Are we püssies today?".    Well, my take is the family structure was stronger and the whole country supported you when you came back, also many in that era grew up hunting and butchering.  A 8th grader back then was more educated than a associate college degree today.

OKdon
Senior Contributor

Re: Why of course!

It isn't that their productions are works of art. NO siree! It's because violence sells wether it be in the media or video games. The rah rah shootem down is the mindset of our gun lovers an dunfortunately our children. Some folks can't wait for the 7 year old to become 8 before giving them fire arms. The movies teach them that all disputes are solved by violence. And you sir are a great example of that.

Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

Re: Why of course!

Are you starting to talk to yourself, Shifty? I have never threatened anyone on here with physical harm , while you have. Or did you forget those times?

I did mention a couple of times that a few posters might benefit from a good hit from a 2X4, administered of course by a loving family member or friend.

What?  You are too young to have known any WW2 combat vets in the couple of decades after the war.  I knew, and was closely relted to, alot of them and they were deeply affected.  A couple of things though about then that aren't there now for vets.  The GI Bill and actual opportunities to utilize it's benefits in creating businesses, vocations and occupations.  Those sort of things give purpose to a person and help keep troubles off the mind.

I also knew a number of elderly WW1 Vets.  Older gentlemen who had been totally seen and used as disposable.  Missed knowing alot of them, as from what the community told me most of those who had seen combat came home and drank themselves to death of otherwise self destructed.

And FWIW, the percetage of US servicemen who served in WW2, late as we got in in Europe, even in the primary theaters who actually saw combat was rather small.  Particularly in comparism to the Brits, French and most certainly the Russina/Soviets. And of course, the Germans, Italians and Japanese.

But the PR machine and the movies and literature made it impossible for a  7 year old boy to go to the 4th of July parade or Memeorial Day services in a small Midwestern town in 1956 and not assume that every one of those VFW and Legion members carrying a wooden gun in the parade hadn't shot himslef a Hun or a Jap or two.

And yes I believe you are correct...

...in your analysis of American Sniper in that it apparently does get into the entanglements and aftermath thing to a degree. 

I don't know if you've checked out the Wilborn show that replaced Colbert  but it's good.  Has panel discussions like the egomaniac Maher does, but actually lets the panelists express themselves and doesn't guide the conversation on ideaology.

http://www.cc.com/full-episodes/vpe3mc/the-nightly-show-monday--january-26--2015-season-1-ep-01005

Run forward to around 7:20.  He's got a couple of vets on there, one a prolific sniper like Kyle.  Damned good stuff IMHO

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Oh yah, they had what was called "shell shock" , those that had it the worst during those great wars didn`t want to talk about it and were always deadly scared of another war that "young people would have to go through".  At family gatherings after so long of time they would have to go out on the steps for a "smoke" and you knew they were best left alone.

This is one of those "know it all" statements that I`m going to make but I never knew of a WWI WWII or Korean vet that took his own life.  Vietnam and the latest skrimishes the suicide rates seem to be more prevalent.

A place to start.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/23lkz3/were_veteran_suicides_a_problem_after_wwi_or_w...

The common knowledge that I grew up under said that WW1 vet suicides and mental health catastrope issues were endemic. But all in rather hushed tones.  WW2 had somehow legtimized War to the point that there wasn't much negative expressed, other than in some fabulous novels and not many people actually read all that much.  And those who do somehow seem to have themselves convinced that everybody does.

Vietnam changed some of that, but by the 1919 was a long time ago.

Samthehumble
Senior Contributor

WW1 in particular, its was pretty common for men to basically go nuts.   The hell in many places was beyond anything anyone could endure, and it just went on and on without end.   People just broke.  If ever the was an argument against people allowing themselves to be ruled by governments the insanity of WW1 made it.