cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
greenhouse man
Senior Contributor

So if he wasn't political as we all thought.... Where were his parents?????????

I think if my son went down this far I would have had him committed. Why are they not answering more questions? How could they let this disturbed man go on this long without help? This may seem harsh, but I would think it was my responsibility as a parent myself.

He lived at home from what I gather(Hell with all the misinformation he may have lived in another state for all I know).

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/jared-loughners-friend-says-suspect-did-not-watch-tv-disliked-th...

11 Replies
KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

Re: So if he wasn't political as we all thought.... Where were his parents?????????

Perhaps he needed better ACCESS TO HEALTHCARE even though we have "the best healthcare system in the world" even without people like him getting the treatment they need.

greenhouse man
Senior Contributor

You have to be kidding me "KNAPPer"???? More Politics??? Let it go man.

@KNAPPer wrote:

Perhaps he needed better ACCESS TO HEALTHCARE even though we have "the best healthcare system in the world" even without people like him getting the treatment they need.

Oh no. I know for a fact under our current system...(I know someone kind of like this with poor parents) He can get all the help he needed. Once a person is deemed a threat.... They will do everything to protect us if the right person is in charge. How can you bring up more politics now??? It is obvious this was just a poor kid with problems. He should have been put somewhere.

KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

Re: You have to be kidding me "KNAPPer"???? More Politics??? Let it go man.

I think you're wrong. You have too much faith in a system you idolize, yet know little about. If you go to a hostptal and read the notices about what they provide to people with no insurance, you will find that they only will "stabalize a condition" or refer someone to "another facility." I'm not bringing up politics. I am simply pointing out the options for mental health available to those without financial resources. If you want to call it politcs, then by all means, let the politicians deal with this. Without insurance, who pays for anti-psychotic drugs? The hospital? Some benevolent fund that does not exist? No, the person or the person's family pays for the drugs and brother, they are expensive. The "best healthcare syetem in the world" will not pay. No money, no care. Just temporary stabilization. It is difficult to have someone committed as insane. They have to do something insane first...like kill a bunch of people.

tomtoolbag
Veteran Advisor

His behavior was showing signs that he was desperately seeking attention or in need of help, simply by his escalating actions. He lived at home, and yet he was displaying bizarre behavior and was kicked out of the community college he was attending. Who was paying the tuition for him, considering that it has to be paid up front? Did his parents notice, and if they did did they wonder why he obviously wasn't attending college? I can see how his behavior made him shunned by what are considered his peers, but you would think that somebody would have said something to his parents at least, or that maybe they would have noticed the stuff in their home or what he was doing while he was at home. I saw a "display" of whatever it was supposed to be in THEIR home or yard, and they didn't notice that??

There were a lot of things that most people would/should have noticed, but him being expelled from college would have sent off alarms in most parents lives, especially since he lived at home with them.

schnurrbart
Frequent Contributor

Re: So if he wasn't political as we all thought.... Where were his parents?????????

Don't know but one reason they might not have had the money and the gov cut $34 million out of the state's mental health program last year.  Now few people can afford it.

schnurrbart
Frequent Contributor

Well, I guess he wasn't in the right place because AZ gov. cut $34 million out of the mental health funding in the state so now very few people can get the help they need.

schnurrbart
Frequent Contributor

Someone (like all of you righties) said that the shooter was just a crazy guy.  Yes, he was a crazy guy WITH a gun!  Crazy people with guns kill people.

greenhouse man
Senior Contributor

@KNAPPer wrote:

I think you're wrong. You have too much faith in a system you idolize, yet know little about. If you go to a hospital and read the notices about what they provide to people with no insurance, you will find that they only will "stabalize a condition" or refer someone to "another facility." I'm not bringing up politics. I am simply pointing out the options for mental health available to those without financial resources. If you want to call it politcs, then by all means, let the politicians deal with this. Without insurance, who pays for anti-psychotic drugs? The hospital? Some benevolent fund that does not exist? No, the person or the person's family pays for the drugs and brother, they are expensive. The "best healthcare syetem in the world" will not pay. No money, no care. Just temporary stabilization. It is difficult to have someone committed as insane. They have to do something insane first...like kill a bunch of people.

You are not very educated on our system my friend. The states have "state" hospitals for a reason. They pick up lots of tabs. So do Private grants. We had extensive medical bills 2 years ago.(Several thousands of dollars.) They told us if we waited long enough we could get grant help and they would pick the entire bill. I paid it myself by the way. There are lots of ways to pay. I Paid for my twins delivery at a rate they agreed to of $200 a month. If I would have been poor they said they would have accepted $50. They are not all evil like you think. You also don't get the fact that our governments main charge is to protect us.

When they put people with serious mental issues away it can be paid by the state if the person is deemed a serious threat to public safety.  Just because no one can pay does not mean they release him you twit. And learn how to use spell check.

dagwud
Senior Contributor

Not sure if it played factor but Bart is right in that many states have cut their funding for mental health care the last couple of years as they struggled to make ends meet.   Iowa's governor who was a Dem cut our state's mental health funding by 15% last year.

Tom, I believe I read where the community college called the boy and his parents in for a meeting and it was mutually decided he would leave school and not return unless he had some type of mental health check up approving him as being safe.

I saw on the news tonight where they were reporting that neighbors had an uneasy feeling about Loughner and said if they accidently had a ball roll into his back yard they would rather just leave it and go buy a new.  They also had on a past friend of Loughner that said one of their favorite past times was going out target shooting.  The freind said over time he had noticed anti social changes in Loughner and became afraid to continue to go out to the dessert alone with Loughner to target shoot.