cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

So interesting it deserves its own thread.

'nox posted this yesterday in his lone nut thread:

"If the bad act is committed by a member of a group you wish to demonize, attribute it to a community or a religion and not to the individual. But if the bad act is committed by someone whose profile, interests and agendas are uncomfortably close to your own, detach the malefactor from everything that is going on or is in the air (he came from nowhere) and characterize him as a one-off, non-generalizable, sui generis phenomenon."

Read this link and especially the comments, rather than recognizing the "uncomfortably close"  the left leaning site and its many of its patrons want to spin yesterdays lone nut as being anti -immigrant motivated.   

9 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: So interesting it deserves its own thread.

Thinkprogress did quote what the man had said. Seemed like fair reporting to me. We here are living proof that anybdody with a computer can make stupid comments. And a bunch of them have done so there. Heck, we have aposter child for it in ollie.

I'd heard none of this anywhere and had only heard that he was an Al Gore inspired animal lover who wanted the human race to get out of the way of nature. I'd assumed that he was going to be attacked from the right for that.

Advisor

What the commentor's posted is important because we're discussing it in the context of 'nox's qoute.

Clearly, given the title and focus of the article, what it wants you to focus on is  something antithetical the values of the site's audience, but not in truth the motivation for the nut.

As I went back through the comments there are a number who characterize the "uncomfortably close" nut job as just a rare outlier.

Veteran Advisor

Yes, the primary "left wing" violent extremist element remaing in the US today is green in some form or another- animal liberation, earth worshipping, something.

And yes, their rhetoric can contribute to violent acts on the part of borderline (or fully) unstable people.

I don't approve.

If there is a difference between that and the he current RW eruption it is only quantitative- which is to say that the sheer number of potentially susceptible people is far higher when major media are deeply invested in elevating the emotional fervor.

Advisor

Al Gore is a violent left wing extremist?  The major media is not deeply invested in that WHOLE thing?  Whaaaaaaaa?

Ummm, back to the subject.......

"If the bad act is committed by a member of a group you wish to demonize, attribute it to a community or a religion and not to the individual. But if the bad act is committed by someone whose profile, interests and agendas are uncomfortably close to your own, detach the malefactor from everything that is going on or is in the air (he came from nowhere) and characterize him as a one-off, non-generalizable, sui generis phenomenon."

I've noticed that this "uncomfortable" closeness also often leads to the "I don't approve, but look at those guys they're worse" type of comments.  Lots of detaching going on..........

Senior Advisor

Some one should have told the guy Algore's global warming is nothing but a bunch of made up crap.

Senior Contributor

Couldn`t find the link in your post, Sam. The media loves to tie a criminal in any far out way to consevatives, such as "The serial killer may have  voted for  Republican  Susan Collins!!!". However they coverup the leftist criminals. Here`s one of Earth Day founder`s pedigree, Ira Einhorn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ira_Einhorn  

Notice lieberal Arlen Spector was instrumental in getting the piece of sh!ts bail reduced.

Advisor

Veteran Advisor

I'm glad we provide so much mirth.

This will be like telling a Mormon that Joseph Smith really didn't have magic decoder glasses, but,

If they are to extend some tax cuts they should be targeted toward small business and job creation.

Slight increases for people ovr $250K taxable and 15% rates for hedge funds etc., don't by much all though they are squealing the loudest.

I think FICA holidays and other tax credits for hiring, continuation of fast depreciation (the tiny portion of $250K plus non-corporate businesses would have limitless opportunites to avoid those onerous tax rates).

I,m just as amused and call gotcha on that.

Advisor

I think you got a bit lost, but I know where you are.

I think they can tinker here and there, grant favors where ever they are trying to gin up some votes, but it won't change anything.  Piling more debt on a debt cause depression will just make things worse in the long run.

I have this cartoon in my head of a conspirist convention, the birthers on one side, truthers on the other, each discussing how wacked out the other side is.  On the stage is either Elvis or the Dead Kennedy's.  I just need a cartoonist to draw it up.