cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Something you don't want to talk about

October is Prostate Cancer Awareness Month.  Show of hands guys, how many get regular testing for this?

I'm halfway through a study on treatment, six-courses of chemo followed by surgery.

Take it from me, the digital exam and biopsy were not bad.  I know we guys don't look forward to it but it tells more than a PSA.

A majority of men over 70 have it but never experience any problems,  so it isn't a question of IF but of WHEN.  Under 60 and it is a very dangerous disease.  Often after discovery it is simply a matter of keeping an eye on it.  Often the treatment is worse than the disease.

Mine is considered aggressive so every three-weeks go to KU Cancer Clinic and shoot up $30,000 worth of drugs.  Since I am in this national study, the drugs are free.

Do it or I will hunt you down like a cur dog and sing you songs...

7 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Something you don't want to talk about

I hope you have a positive outcome Ernie.

My daughter is getting married next month and her future mother in law fell yesterday in her yard and needs a total hip replaement. 83 years old. Instead of traveling to our joyous event she will probably be confined in a nursing home if she survives. Life can turn to crap in an instant.

Best of luck to you to you...  Don

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I'll keep you in my prayers. I am only 36, but I was told to start thinking about this. It seems the cancer does not always go after the older folks alone. I have to admit, I don't want to do it.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

The very best of luck Papa, cancer is a heidious disease, but they have made some tremendous strides in it's cure.

For the answer to your question, about being checked, I have been checked for about 30 yrs. now. So far it has enlarged, but anything out of the ordinary, PSA is normal. Next week is my annual check-up next week.

Good luck to you, my friend.

Senior Contributor

It is most dangerous IF you are under 50-yrs-old.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Good point...my Grandfaterh was over 80 when diagnosed (back in the late 1970s) and the Drs' told him that at his age teh cancer would grow slowly and not much use to doing anything. What you said,.

I'm 61 and have been getting the finger and the blood drawn every year since 50.

My very best to you, Keep us posted.

Highlighted
Senior Reader

Ernie,

It is a good thing that you are engaged in this research program.

I had mine taken care of with cryo surgery where as they freeze the organ.

Is this an option for you also? BTW I am 78 yrs old.

Frank

Highlighted
Advisor

My father died from prostate cancer at 74. they told him his was the slow growing kind and a little radiation would keep it in check. I'm 51 and get checked annually and anally. My doctor is a woman with small fingers.