cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

Speaking of separation of church and state

This school is going to a religious institution for their graduation.

Do they not have a Gym in their school?

A Southwest DeKalb High School star student said she will not attend her own graduation because it's being held in a church. 

May 25 is when the senior class will have their graduation at New Birth Missionary Baptist Church. 

Nahkoura Mahnassi, 16, and her mother, Alisha Brown, said it's a poor choice on the schools part because not everyone is a Christian and they feel like the ceremony should be held at the school or at a neutral venue like the Georgia Dome. 

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/student-refuses-go-graduation-new-birth-missionary/nMT7k/

9 Replies
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Re: Speaking of separation of church and state

I will be the first to say, I do not know the layout of the church, the school, or anything else, other than what the article says here, which makes it sound like the school doesn't have a facility big enough.

However, other than being a church building, what makes one think that the students will be somehow indoctrinated by the church?
We have a Catholic church, locally, that rents out their gymnasium for things like that, and you would never know it was church owned when they hold a commencement in the building.  Last year, I don't even remember there being a cross, or any other religious symbol you could see as you walked in, or went to the grandstands.  I do not see how simply using the building steps into the bounds of establishing any kind of government religion.  I would be curious as to what it costs to rent the Church auditorium, vs. the Georgia Dome, as well.  It very well could be for fiscal reasons.

Also, what would happen, if they did have the graduation at the Georgia Dome, and someone who dislikes football, were to be offended, and refused to attend?  Should they move it, again?

What about all the schools we have in the US, that are named after the famous clergyman Martin Luther King, Jr., that get government money?

I'm not trying to be facicous, but merely point out, that just because a building has a name on it, with religoius overtones, and is used for a public function, does not mean that whoever walks inside, is being indoctrinated.

bruce MN
Advisor

One of our girls had an intentionally secular civil ceremony wedding on a beach and still was able to have a (wet ) reception in one of those Catholic gymnasiums.  Hired the parish ladies aid/auxilary or whatever they call themselves to do the food.  Nobody was saved that night.

r3020
Senior Advisor

The great thing about this country, a church is kind enough to offer their building for the public to use and everyone is free to attend or not. That's how it is suppose to work.

dagwud
Senior Contributor

Canuck, I think the girl needs to get over it and quit complaining.  It is not a religious event but a graduation held in a building that houses a church.

Our local school has allowed its gym to be used for a few funerals over the years when a much larger venue was required.  That did not make the gym a relious building or a house of worship. 

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

A church is just a building, bricks and wood. In the picture it looks very nice and spacious. It boils down to if someone wants to bellyache, they always find something to be miserable about.

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

High school graduation is no big deal any way. 

It is what comes after that will make or break a persons future.

But I think everyone answering this are christian believers any way so would not bother them.

I do wonder what some of the people who post on this site would think if they were asked to go to a Muslim Mosque for their graduation or maybe a hall for devil worshippers.

Hey, they are just buildings, right?

r3020
Senior Advisor

I just wouldn't go.

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

Well I guess that answers my question.

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

What's the difference?  If there isn't room in the schol, and they have to have it elsewhere, someone will find a reason to not like it one way or another.  My nephew's graduation was on the football field, and there were people who didn't like that it was outside.

Should they not be able to have it in a VFW hall, if there are war objectors?

A sports arena?  What if people object to the sport?

The ceremony is just that, a ceremony.  You still get your diploma if you don't go to it.