cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
cmilligan1958g
Senior Contributor

Spring Break

Spring break has begun and I will be working on building even more new fences this week. I've put in over a mile during this winter and will finish lots more this year, Lord willing. 

Strong high tensile electrified fence looks good and will hold cattle in, and trouble out. πŸ€ πŸ‘

14 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Spring Break

Looks good Craig!  Do you build fence for hogs as well?  and do you travel?  πŸ™‚

r3020
Senior Advisor

Only one strand is hot? We usually have two.

cmilligan1958g
Senior Contributor

I could, I suppose. For hogs, I would make every other wire electrified and hook it up to a Gallagher 110 volt energizer, four ground rods, that puts out over 14,000 volts of shock. 

My fences, on the bottom are spaced six inches apart and stretched so tight, that you can strum it like a guitar. For hogs, I would put an eighth wire, closer together on the bottom half. 

The deer have a hard time crossing my fence, it is so tall. 5 and a half feet to the top wire. 

cmilligan1958g
Senior Contributor

All you need is for the nose wire to be "hot". I have seen the bull hit it and knock him onto the ground. The more strands that you have energized, the more the output voltage drops. 

However, the perimeter fences on our place have multiple lines electrified to keep invaders out. Those fences could be quickly switched to make them, let's say, a lot more "deadly", if need be. 

ihmarty543282
Senior Contributor

Is that a farm lane or a road?  Glad my cattle and fence days are over...What town does the water tower belong to?

elcheapo
Veteran Advisor

Why use the fancy electric fence rather than barbed
Wire ?
cmilligan1958g
Senior Contributor

That is just half of our farm lane.  The water tower is the local rural water supply tower. We are the highest point in northern Warren County. The huge house is former Major League Baseball player Casey Blake.  He is a super great guy. He even has his kids stack hay in the summer time for their horses. 

cmilligan1958g
Senior Contributor

Because 14,000 volts bites harder than barbs, and high tensile wire lasts 85 years and does not sag. 

It is super easy to string up, electrify, and keep tight with in-line tightening spools. 

Barbed wire is so 19th Century. 

elcheapo
Veteran Advisor

Very little used here. My first worry is the fence
Charger in dry grass. Then the deer like to jump
Over and break fence. Then I doubt the plastic
Insulators will go for 85 yrs

There is a device that you might want to look
At. I think the name is fence guard. It constantly
Monitors the ele fence system
If voltage drops, fence break or failure. It uses
Cellular, and emails you when it detects.
They run $200 to 300, and I think $10 a month
Or less