cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Contributor

Start a GoFundMe for Your Local US Farmer in Need

An Australian 11-year-old started Round 2 of a GoFundMe called "A Fiver for A Farmer" for Aussie farmers suffering from drought and has raised over $58,000 in 1 month.

https://www.gofundme.com/a-fiver-for-a-farmer2019

Last year, a US dairy farmer ran a GoFundMe.  She raised over $165,000.00 and avoided foreclosure 1 week before they were going to auction her dairy farm.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/money/2018/09/20/desperate-dairy-farmers-use-gofundme-save-way-life/1...

If people will donate hundreds of thousands of dollars for waiters and waitresses who didn't get the tip they thought they deserved, why not help your farmer neighbor by suggesting a GoFundMe and linking it on your #NoPlant19 Twitter pages.   At the very least, it will help draw attention to the severe financial difficulties that farmers are currently facing.

7 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Start a GoFundMe for Your Local US Farmer in Need

I have mixed feelings about "go fund me" stuff, it doesn`t solve anything.  And that`s the way it is with farming, there is going to have to be a culling of the herd, whether we get $5 each from 10,000 strangers, we`d need money next year too.  

My Daughter makes $4/hr waiting tables during college, but with tips it`s probably $25-$30/hr.  The tips go to her but it actually helps the restaurant owner by not paying his waitresses a living wage and artificially gives the patrons the illusion the prices on the menu are less expensive than they really are.

All this "cost shifting" ...we sell China $10 in beans but we are EXPECTED to buy $400 in Walmart junk in return or they throw a hissy fit.   We have pretty much open immigration for cheap labor for employers and the taxpayer steps in making those lower than standard of living jobs whole.  

To those that drink beer it`s like a "pretzels & beer" situation, either they have too many pretzels or not enough beer.

Veteran Advisor

I find it amazing....""the culling of

The herd"".

You tell that to people under stress,

That work hard....

You know BA .... I know why you

Are so big on gun rights....you

Do need one for your own

Protection....making such

Statements.

Veteran Advisor

At  least  this  year  we  won't  be  funding  those  immigrants  ,  cause  we  won't  owe  any  taxes  -  look  on  the  bright  side  -   -   -

When  they  deduct  those  immigrants  taxes  from  their  paycheck ,  does   that  go  for  crop  insurance  funding ,  -  maybe   -  ? 

Veteran Advisor

A  reminder ,  the  business  corporation  in  Bentonville  Arkansas,  seems  to  have  political  clout,  far  exceeding  folks  around  this  sight  -   -   -   

Honored Advisor

I might very well be one of those in the herd that is "culled".  A nice fellow passed away very unexpectedly the other day at age 52.  At the luncheon in the church basement after funeral, a local BTO sidled up to the son trying to rent his ground.  Well??? You can`t make this stuff up anything you`d make up wouldn`t compete with reality.

But while a lot of us cry in our soup about "Trump & tariffs".   $3.20 cash corn and $7.84 cash beans isn`t slowing some from wanting to be king of the world.   There must still be "too many of us" if the only way you can rent land is at the funeral...I won`t go there, so I will probably get "culled".

Veteran Advisor

BA   -  Good   points,   while  the  Thoughts  &  Prayers  deal , has   another  prime  example   -   -   -   

Veteran Contributor

I don't want to mention his name since the intel might fall into the wrong hands.

But I have a friend who has left strict instructions to not rent the farm to anyone who even hints at it before his body gets cold.