cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Starting to catch on

Just who it is that is encouraging the raging masses. It's new players...folks who were once modest...socially conscious (either secularly liberally or religious conservatively) and aware of what the "other" 90+ % were dealing with day to day. And I suspect that it's become a mucha bigger player in the attitudes of commodity farmers than it was back in the days when maintaining the humility bit was more of a universal convention....particularily back when there were 10 where there now is 1. Many here who fall into the income range being discusses within the past few years

...follow the links in the article back:

http://delong.typepad.com/sdj/2010/09/in-which-mr-deling-responds-to-someone-who-might-be-professor-...

9 Replies
Advisor

Re: Starting to catch on

I read this far: "The government had, you see, made promises--very popular promises--for Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security without proposing sufficient funding streams to pay for those promises.." WRONG. The government did what no insurance company would ever have been allowed to do, it spent the entire funding streams for the programs. The programs only hope of ever working was a constantly expanding population and economy. MASSIVE FAIL!
Veteran Advisor

If you were to have read on or tracked back through the links you'd find that what you say is what is more or less what is being addressed. What to do in the face of that unfortunate reality.

You seem perfectly willing to die on some mountain of public regret. How about coming down and lending a hand?

Senior Contributor

Bruce, I don't have a problem with the article per se.......but then you make the link from the article about how the relative income levels of people obscured them to people below, which is valid, to a jump to saying that commodity farmers are blind to those sympathies, which I find to be a bunch of crappola.

I think that you, like Hobbyhorsefarmer, have an animus to those producers that farm on commercial scales. And it is not just because some have had a few years of above average income...you yourself made the comment that both you and your wife have usually paid the max each year in social security taxes, so whatever niche in life you are at, you are highly successful in the income accumulation scheme.

I think it comes from some form of envy...maybe you have made a lot of money but missed out on land buys...maybe land is always too expensive, or you do not want to make the sacrifices to buy land. Is this what is going on?

Veteran Advisor

Actually I see the folks who post at this forum as a bit of an misrepresentative anomoly.

Most commodity farmers that I hang with are, and always have been, generally apolitical.

No envy here...it's just that I don't see things as "us" but rather as all of us.

And FWIW, I just spent a few days with, among others, some highly compensated professionals who would fit into the description in the article and most of them are Democrats and social liberals and I was extremely disheartened to observe that they would be of the conviction that this mess has to be striaghtened out, but not at their expense. They are very expectful of their lifestyle. Status can be just as relative as anything else.

Not sure where I heard or read it said but if the millenials ever catch on and get a clear picture of the distribution and how it came to be and is protected by politicians of both parties you'll see "change" that makes something like restoring pre-Bush tax rates look like chicken feed. Would be much better for all if we took a measured egalitarian approach along with some moderation in ambitions in some areas...but we won't. Aren't wired that way.

Veteran Advisor

Senior Contributor

You must have had the blinders on for most of your life if you are surprised that social issue democrats do not want to be taxed.

Milligan quoted the old saying and it  is worth repeating

"dont tax you...dont tax me...tax the man behind the tree"

there is always someone or some other entity that should be paying their fair share of taxes, according to these folks, and they will be the first to avail themselves of any tax dodge they can find. And Nursing Home assistance, too. BUt that is a whole issue by itself.

Veteran Advisor

No Red..it's a new phenomena...a product of the bubble aided "New Democrat" prosperity. The Clinton, DLC progressive betrayal.

Working class blue collar Democrats who were the heart and soulof the party always have been in favor of things being paid for.

But I agree to a point...it is discerning. Sorta like one of those things you knew might be there but hadn't been faced with. But not an "always" thing, as you infer.

Senior Contributor

Bruce wrote-"Working class blue collar Democrats who were the heart and soulof the party always have been in favor of things being paid for."

The trouble is Bruce the government has never been honest about the cost.

Advisor

Last week you argued that our elected official were powerless fronts for the permanent government.  Now you expect me to give a **bleep**?