cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hardnox604008
Veteran Advisor

Stay at home former President

"As the news broke on Saturday that former President George W. Bush had abruptly canceled his scheduled appearance this week in Geneva to avoid the risk of arrest on a torture complaint, my first thought was — how humiliating, not only for Bush but, by extension, for all Americans."

http://original.antiwar.com/mcgovern/2011/02/09/americas-stay-at-home-ex-president/print/

7 Replies
GreaTOne_65
Senior Contributor

Re: Stay at home former President

how humiliating, not only for Bush but, by extension, for all Americans

Sorry, nox. I don't agree with that! The Republicans should be the ones, who are humiliated! He brought this disgrace upon us with their blessing, now let them be the ones to shoulder the blame. The left were shouted down about his pig-headedness. I think it is fitting, that he dare not leave the country. He's a prisoner of his own making. At least it shows what the rest of the world thought about his policies, and the right should hang their heads in shame, but we know they won't, they don't have the strength of character to admit he was the worst thing to ever befall our nation, now they have the gall to try and blame it on the man ELECTED to clean up HIS mess.

dagwud
Senior Contributor

I heard that claim on the Bill Maher show Friday night.   I would think if he was worried he would not even consider any visits there in the first place.  Be interesting to learn more on this story.

A couple of the guests on Maher's show including Egyptian born author Hooman Majd who seemed to be no friend of Bush or Repubs claimed that the U.S. is still currently practicing extraordinary rendition (farmed out torture to other countries.)  If true it would make Switzerland look bad by arresting Bush while Obama gets a Nobel peace prize.

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

What I wonder is what would be the response of the administration and the american public if a foreign nation or the world court issued an indictment..

I am thoroughly disappointed in the justice department for failure to investgate the wrong doers during the last administration. Not just questionable act by those in the administration but those in the mortgage markets, financial ,markets, security rating companies and the like.

I can imagine those things would take time and resources, but we are about to let criminal activity to go on without challenge or even an investigation.

dagwud
Senior Contributor

I'm not as surprised Don that the Obama Justice Dept. has not gone after the past administration on war crimes or torture as they had hinted about early on.  I have always believed that when Obama or anyone becomes president and realize that they are now the one responsible for the safety of millions of Americans that they would start to see things in a different light which would explain why our country is reportedly still practicing extraordinary rendition. 

I like you am deeply disappointed that we have seen no real investigations or even a single prosecution for wrong doing by those responsible for for the mortgage, financial, and security ratings disasters.  While it would be nice if Obama directed his Justice Dept. to work aggressively on this I blame Congress and both parties for being content with simply sweeping the dirt under the rug.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

In the army, it was always joked that there was a "West Point Protection Society" meaning that officers who were grads of The Point always took care of each other.  Same with the political "hill" and all involved except the gophers.

tomtoolbag
Veteran Advisor

There are some human-rights groups that have a 42 page legal template ready for Bush if he travels to one of 147 nations that have signed the Convention Against Torture, and have it at the ready for him to be presented for indictment when he goes to any of those countries.

The PTB here obviously have looked the other way but other countries haven't. I doubt we'll ever see his feet swing from the end of a rope though.

dagwud
Senior Contributor

LA Times - Obama preserves renditions as counter-terrorism tool

The European Parliament condemned renditions as "an illegal instrument used by the United States." Prisoners swept up in the program have sued the CIA as well as a Boeing Co. subsidiary accused of working with the agency on dozens of rendition flights.

But the Obama administration appears to have determined that the rendition program was one component of the Bush administration's war on terrorism that it could not afford to discard.

"Obviously you need to preserve some tools -- you still have to go after the bad guys," said an Obama administration official, speaking on condition of anonymity when discussing the legal reasoning. "The legal advisors working on this looked at rendition. It is controversial in some circles and kicked up a big storm in Europe. But if done within certain parameters, it is an acceptable practice."

Don't you think Obama's continued use of of the rendition program makes it hard for some coutries to get serious about going after Bush?