cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Contributor

Student Assessment of 15-year-olds alarm U.S. educators....

This from the most expensive education system on the planet......

!cid_28D5D472977149728FBF86D9DF5B5FBC@SobieskiFarm.png

41 Replies
Advisor

Re: Student Assessment of 15-year-olds alarm U.S. educators....

Duncan is one of the real good publicos out there. Hope they come up with something. NCLB one of the worst peices of legislation in our history.

But whatever they propose it wil take the support of stakeholders and we are probably too polaraized for anything constructive to come about. You can rest assured that any and every idea will be savaged by somebody with a substantial following.

You seem to complain about alot of things but fit right in here with 3020 and wehav (and Mitch McConnell and Eric Cantor i D.C.)   in never offering anything.....just insinuating that all would be better if they'd just step aside and let your side run things, autocraticly.

What ya' got for solid ideas?

Honored Advisor

We can blame schools all we want...too many parents do not require enough of their children, and expect the school system to instill everything. 

If all schools would be required to do in America is teach reading, science and math, and practice assignments were uniformly done at home (homework), our kids would rank better. 

Senior Contributor

I think the report you posted is referring to the PISA tests.

A couple of weeks ago I posted about some of the points from a report on these tests.

http://community.agriculture.com/t5/Ag-Forum/More-about-education/m-p/58781#M20412

It has a link to a summary of the tests with lots of reading about what seems to work in some countries and what seems to be the problem in others.

http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/34/60/46619703.pdf

There is a list of how each of the countries stood in the tests somewhere in that report I think.

Some interesting things are indicated in the report and some of the findings indicate the simple solutions some advocate do not work well and other simple solutions do work that people seem not to like to do.

Pick a miserable weather day and delve into it. 

Senior Contributor

While I will not disagree with all you say Kay it is not all that simple.

If the parents have not had an adequate education the children will not get that type of help at home no matter how much we all know it is the best way.

the above link has a lot of info in it and I think one place indicates that reading to the child is a great benefit.

Another thing it points out is the countries that do better in the PISA tests do not abandon the children who find schooling hard. It has been a while since I read down through it but I think it shows bottom scoring children are fewer in the higher scoring countries but the best students still score high. Some how their systems manage to bring the poorer students up and so improve their overall average score.

I think that report also shows the countries that do not 'fail' a student but keep them with their same group have fewer students scoring poorly than the countries that fail students and hold them back. 

A lot of reading in the whole report and lots to interpret.

Advisor

I don't think you can tear the guts out of our culture and think children will spring forth unscathed. This is the achievement of 100 years of social experimentation.
Senior Advisor

@Samnospam wrote:
I don't think you can tear the guts out of our culture and think children will spring forth unscathed. This is the achievement of 100 years of social experimentation.

OK Bruce, there you have it, the whole problem summed up in one, easy to understand, sentence. It is a GOVERNMENT created problem and who the libs look to for a solution......government. And to think your problem is with the extremist baggers.

Advisor

Wondering here...I agree we have way to much and very inefficient governmetn, and agree that we have some huge problems with these literacy rates and proficiency scores but how do you pin that oon "governmetn"...how has it been caused by government?

Sam and everybody else here seems to be able to at least talk about parerental deficiencies,

You sound as though you feel there is some Ministry of Culture or something.

FWIW the govt. pretty much over the past couple of decades has been able to do little more than garbage detail working behind rampant personal consumer debt and reality TV,

My take on those scores is that this current batch of kids tested is the first generation of children being rasied by a generation of children who were turned over to television. Who learned danged to near everything they know and who built their consumption values around it and who are now assuming that it is harmless to their spawn.

Senior Contributor

@r3020 wrote:

@Samnospam wrote:

OK Bruce, there you have it, the whole problem summed up in one, easy to understand, sentence. It is a GOVERNMENT created problem and who the libs look to for a solution......government. And to think your problem is with the extremist baggers.

That r3020 is an opinion.

From the following report the top 5 + USA

OECD average

Shanghai-China

Korea

Finland 

Hong Kong-China

Singapore

US

500...... which is 17th place

Facts r3020, Facts and I do not think they show capitalistic, conservative governments are on the top of the heap OR 'leftist' countries are on the bottom.

Here are the bottom 5

Luxembourg

Austria

Turkey

Chile

Mexico

Senior Contributor

LOL, yup and don't forget rampant and widespread use of air-conditioning too. "Back in the day" it was hotter in the house than outside, so naturally of course, we chose the lesser of two evils and opted for skin cancer instead. The only thing that saved Captain Kangaroo was that his show came on at 8:00 am, any later and he'd have been SOL. Once we went outside, the door got locked anyway.

But then again, being told to grab some razor blades and play in the middle of the road probably wasn't the best of ideas, so we made do with the Romper Room version of a car and the old stand-by, a stick.

Boy how times have changed, huh. Now we put our time and energy into our kids' education and grooming of self-sufficiency. Maybe we should have chose that flat-screen TV route instead, of course on credit too. LOL

Education and the results from it won't change unless the people that are in the position to make decisions(the parents) get motivated and participate in their kids' future. Till then, as usual nothing is done but talking about it.