cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

Re: Student Assessment of 15-year-olds alarm U.S. educators....

Bruce, the down fall started as the government said no need to worry, big daddy government has your back. That was the start of from each according to his ability, to each according to his needs. From that day forward the ability of the individuals diminished and his needs increased. From there was lost self respect, no need for it, the government is who earns respect. With the loss of self respect, respect for everything else is lost because everything, including respect, belongs to the government, which provides for all needs. As education goes, so will health care, and everything else the government is given control of.

Advisor

Wealthy industrialist played a very large role, they own(ed) the government. I urged people to read it before, it'll open your eyes. http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/underground/toc1.htm
Advisor

Those results should tell you a great deal. Maybe the test measures usefulness to a centralized economy.
Senior Contributor

That kind of resembles "Who Rules America, Power, Politics, and Social Change", only with a focus on education.

Honored Advisor

Interesting points...and as a generation of prospective parents is poorer-educated, their children are even less advantaged at home.  We are a couple of genratiosn into declien in many way snow, so the results are becoming more pronounced. 

I read an unrelated but comparable maesure on international infant mortality rates in a magazine this week.  The US doesn't rank nearly as well as...say France.  We save a lot of very tin y preemies, who are defined as "liveborn," and then they die later.  In France, if the gestational age of a fetus born is not at least 26 weeks the baby is deemed a stillborn.  Period.  It is a miscarriage, not an infant death.  So, does the US really have a higher infant mortality than the French, or do we just try to save more extremely immature babies at birth? 

One must wonder what the comparative numbers would be if we all used the same yardstick. 

So, whenever I read comparative statistics, I always want to know if every country tests as universally as the US (or at least the part I live in) does.  Using the same test is one thing, but you'd have to administer it to the same profile of children nationwide to yield anywhere near equivalent assessments. 

When I taught, we had to make even quite disabled children go through the motions of taking standardized tests, and their scores weighed very heavily on student performance.  To be honest, we felt it was a farce.  Still it's the only way to make a level assesment of school systems in the state across the board. 

Even then, schools that do a better job of special education, and thus draw parents with children with problems (they used to move into our county in VA for that express purpose)  coudl end up looking like they are less effective educators.  See what I mean? 

There are statistics and damned statistics.  Don't know which these may be....

Honored Advisor

One thing about communist countries CHINA in particular have nothing against CHEATING.  China, 12yr old  gymnasts claiming they were 14.  Years ago East German "women" in the Olympics, wasn`t real clear if they were male or female. Education is no different, I don`t know how PISA tests were conducted but if Internationaly monitored the classrooms could have been stacked with bright students.  The US and I suppose Canada Smiley Wink would be just among the few that wouldn`t cheat.

Advisor

Kind of, but isn't that work generally favorable to social change and its agents?
Veteran Contributor

"The US and I suppose CanadaSmiley Wink would be just among the few that wouldn't cheat."........?????????

Do a search and find how many teachers that have given students answers to tests.......here is one of the many I found.....

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2011/03/10/20110310teachers-cheat-to-improve-students-test-gr...

You evidently don't think anything like this happens....???

Honored Advisor

It doesn`t surprise me in the least.  If cheating goes on in the developed countries it`s going to be X times greater in a armpit country. There are a hundred ways to skew numbers, a poor country may handpick those it educates and, or just give the students the answers, which makes comparison tests only worth of wiping your butt with.

Senior Contributor

Oh yeah, because people have to be able to recognize the chain of events, or how things got to where they are now to be able to change them going forward or into the future.

I browsed over that article and didn't want to start reading it now because I know that I'll be distracted soon. But, I believe that it addresses quite a few issues that are never spoken of, but should be.

Right now my son is reading The Fourth Turning, and I'll read it when he's done with it. Our educational "system" is somewhat by design dysfunctional, that's how our society has ended up with the top 1-2% owning everything or anything of any productivity. Add in some general laziness and apathy along with convenient distractions like MTV and youtube/American Idol and as a whole we're right where the cat-herders want us. My wife and I have went to sometimes extreme lengths to go against the flow in regards to our kids' education, and it's importance. Our kids aren't hermits, or are we trying to create some reclusive freaks of society, but we put their learning above practically everything, including cars, housing, etc. The sad part is that they would do OK at public schools and achieved great success at a private school, but they have risen to the top so to speak because others or practically all kids their age haven't had the same amount of importance on education directed to them. Both working parents, credit card and massive mortgage debt, and crappy jobs along with a focus on material things has fostered a generation of basically, losers because education was handed off to others in the public(babysitting)school system.