cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: Student Assessment of 15-year-olds alarm U.S. educators....

This is what I've been saying all along.  The failure of our educational system starts and stops at the home.  If a student is lucky enough, they come from a two parent home.  Yet, in most cases both of those parents work.  They either don't have the time or energy to spend with their children reading, writing, etc.  They sit their kids down in front of the electronic babysitter known as the television.  It's not just education here.  We have a serious obesity problem in children because all they do is sit around in front of a tv or computer.  My sister-in-law is a teacher, and she teaches a relatively small class of around 25 students.  The problem is you have kids in a single parent welfare home all the way up to kids from very intellectual parents.  The slow kids fall behind, but they have no parenting to help them catch up.  What happens then is the faster learning kids are then held back because the teachers are forced to leave no kids behind.  Three decades or so ago, parents took the responsibility of helping their children succeed in school.  Today, they do nothing other than blame the teacher if their kid falls behind. 

Senior Contributor

There was a movie that came out a few years back called Idiocracy.  While the movie was supposed to be a comedy, I think it held a pretty good theme as to where we are headed as a society.  Of those prospective parents, who normally has more children:  the poorer educated or the higher educated? 

Advisor

Could it be that the problems at home and the problems at school are related? Related in that the parents are a product of the same system that the kids are in. No one seems willing to consider this. If our educational system was designed to bring about social change, and it was, could this be a result of that change? If our schools are specifically designed to dumb down the populace, well look, dumb parents, duh.
Advisor

Understanding what you are talking about and have it gauged somewhat the same way but am thinking that you are way too conspiracy bent on it. Seeing what one sees from extreme religious conservatives...that it has to be a conspiracy...that it had to be engineered out of evil.. when it doesn't. I take it more as a natural human devolution based on a temporarilyy percieved absence of scarcity.

There's a break point somewhere..some moment when the water went over the levee as far as children ill equiped to raise children began having them. I think it fits somehow into the same pattern as the slots between the wars, only we didn't actually have one...the Cold War didn't require sacrifice and didn't build resolve like the real ones did. We covered and pushed forward our recessions with monetary foolishness, leaving the money available for leverage for debt and consumption of massive amounts of non-essentials.... off trendy and frivolous stuff. And a ridiculous personal dwelling infrastructure that's going to weigh down on governments and financial entities and all fo teh people for a long, long time.

There is a huge mass of essentially 35-45 year olds or so.....Reagan and Cosby kids.....who never, regardless of the realistic bank accounts or equity situations in their families went without much of what they wanted. Particularly as the suburbs expanded and there was alot of service jobs sprining up. And never really had to learn or know much other than to where to go to buy the  right stuff. And, again, now they have kids and limited instincts to understand what we are facing.

Genuinely tough times and catastrophes and wars are awful things. But they can/did provide a intermitent casting of shadows between them that people live and have experiences under.  I'm not so sure we just aren't paying for not having one in that orderly 25 year or so sequnce. Getting your kids to understand that deprevation and degrees of want are a real possibility may be every bit as importnat as helpiing them learn to read.

Hopingth ephysics isn't such that this big dump isn't going to have to make up for 2 of them,

Senior Contributor

You're all right in the assessment of things. We're at the peak of our existence so to speak, whereas the total and combined accumulation of our monetary system, along with a rigged education, economy, etc., etc., has brought us to where we were eventually going to be.

The various designs to develop "workers" that would spend all their earnings, along with all the creative enticements along the way to enhance the velocity of spending, has brought us to this point. Go to college(accumulate student loans)buy a house(take out an outlandish mortgage to offset inflation which passes off your increase in equity onto the following generation), go on vacations via a credit card, and don't forget that car(or 2) loan or even a lease too.

Yes there is a lot of people in our society that haven't had to face any sacrifices. My wife's version of Reaganomics is FARRRRR different than mine, just for an example. But we keep doing the same things over and over as a society, all the while everybody wants and demands change. When we can change things, then nobody wants to. Look at government budget cuts for an example of just that.

The economy is bad and getting worse by the week/month, and the coming debt repayment doesn't look peachy either. Now our government wants to get involved in yet another fiasco in the Me/NA, and usually when all else fails economically speaking, war is/has been the default position.

Senior Contributor

When was the last time that the sacrifice for war was shared equally? The last few conflicts and wars have been brunt by those who thought that serving the country was an alternative way to pay for college. Money and the scarcity of it has regulated the schools to deprive the brightest the challenges necessary for "the right stuff," and left the below average intellects a false feeling of accomplishment. There is plenty of blame for the problems we have in education, but do you want to educate like the Chinese?

Senior Contributor

Not advocating that at all. But, as you pointed out, war is the default position that the PTB take(Presidents and Congress)precisely BECAUSE the sacrifice isn't shared equally. Remember back when Mitt Romney's draft eligible young men were asked why they were for continuing actions in the M. East, but said "they were doing their part by campaigning"??

Heck, during the Revolutionary War, the "founding fathers" sent their slaves in their place to do their fighting. About the only true shared sacrifice, or as close to it as it comes, was during the Civil War here.

If you get a chance sometime go to the website for the Council on Foreign Relations. All the crap happening in the ME/NA was planned and the plans for implementation put into action, along with knowing about our financial crisis that was coming at us at a very fast pace. Remember when Biden said that Obama was going to be challenged or something to that effect within a couple of years??

I'm not for it at all as our son just turned 18, I'm just saying the past tells us what's more than likely going to happen, especially if you factor in the CFR stuff or plans for other countries' future, and all that is/has unfolded there so far.

Advisor

Pertinent to your post but probably meaningless without reading the whole thing. http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/chapters/16a.htm
Senior Contributor

Re: Test results, Kay

Kay I have seen the argument about the high infant mortality in the US being caused by heroic efforts to save new borns. There is some truth to the question of how stats are recorded and when a birth is recoreded as a live birth BUT I have also read reactions from people who have studied the results and they still claim infant mortality is higher in the US than many other countries. Cause was claimed to be the poor who can not afford medical care before and after birth. Your example of France is a country with a health care system that is available to all.

As with all stats the measurement system has to be equal to get good results. As I understand the PISA tests are the same across the countries taking them. I suppose you can always argue that translation or something skews the results but I would think they would try to make them as accurate as possible or there would be not benefit to a country bothering to take them.

It is always tempting to excuse the results because of the test or the judge. But hey the US did not do badly. The US was fully average and if I remember correctly it was the poor students that dragged you down. Other countries have been able to improve the results from their poor students and bring their scores up. I think there were findings in the results about countries that had a system that did not differentiate good and poor students into separate systems or maybe it was keeping  resources equal in all schools that increased their results.

It is not just in the $$ spent but how they are used and spread out to everyone.

Do not have time to look all that info up again. Working at maple syrup right now and the days are long.

Senior Contributor

Maple syrup time?

Hey, Canuck! Has the sap started running? My brother and I used to tap sugar bush too! It meant the start of farming for us. We only did it as a hobby, I think we may have had 2-300 taps, we built a shanty back in the woods, collected the sap with a OC-3 Cletrac, and a stone-boat with a 150 gal tank on it, what a time we used have!!