cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: Student Assessment of 15-year-olds alarm U.S. educators....

@BA Deere wrote:

One thing about communist countries CHINA in particular have nothing against CHEATING.  China, 12yr old  gymnasts claiming they were 14.  Years ago East German "women" in the Olympics, wasn`t real clear if they were male or female. Education is no different, I don`t know how PISA tests were conducted but if Internationaly monitored the classrooms could have been stacked with bright students.  The US and I suppose Canada Smiley Wink would be just among the few that wouldn`t cheat.

And of course it could just be that their school system is better.

I hit a chemistry course in grade 12 that first 2 exams left me with a very low mark. Did not bother studying for final since I thought it was a lost cause.

Final in grade 12 was a provincial exam to get your grade 12 certificate and I pulled a pass with just a few marks extra.

BTW others in my year from other classes who had been passing failed the provincial exam. Did I mention I had a young teacher the other 2 classes had an old teacher who set the in school exams but obviously did not teach the curriculum.

Senior Contributor

@Samnospam wrote:
Could it be that the problems at home and the problems at school are related? Related in that the parents are a product of the same system that the kids are in. No one seems willing to consider this. If our educational system was designed to bring about social change, and it was, could this be a result of that change? If our schools are specifically designed to dumb down the populace, well look, dumb parents, duh.

You pose a good question. We see the same surnames doing the same things in school with our grandchildren as we saw when we were there. Perhaps one extra generation with some. Is it the upbringing or is it genetics?? You know hyperactive, unable to control themselves rather than those who can apply themselves to the work at hand.

On the other hand there are those from the same households who do well in school, get a good education despite the financial disadvantage they have and go on to have productive lives.

So many variables that are very hard to figure out. 

Senior Contributor

@bruce MN wrote:

Understanding what you are talking about and have it gauged somewhat the same way but am thinking that you are way too conspiracy bent on it. Seeing what one sees from extreme religious conservatives...that it has to be a conspiracy...that it had to be engineered out of evil.. when it doesn't. I take it more as a natural human devolution based on a temporarilyy percieved absence of scarcity.

There's a break point somewhere..some moment when the water went over the levee as far as children ill equiped to raise children began having them. I think it fits somehow into the same pattern as the slots between the wars, only we didn't actually have one...the Cold War didn't require sacrifice and didn't build resolve like the real ones did. We covered and pushed forward our recessions with monetary foolishness, leaving the money available for leverage for debt and consumption of massive amounts of non-essentials.... off trendy and frivolous stuff. And a ridiculous personal dwelling infrastructure that's going to weigh down on governments and financial entities and all fo teh people for a long, long time.

There is a huge mass of essentially 35-45 year olds or so.....Reagan and Cosby kids.....who never, regardless of the realistic bank accounts or equity situations in their families went without much of what they wanted. Particularly as the suburbs expanded and there was alot of service jobs sprining up. And never really had to learn or know much other than to where to go to buy the  right stuff. And, again, now they have kids and limited instincts to understand what we are facing.

Genuinely tough times and catastrophes and wars are awful things. But they can/did provide a intermitent casting of shadows between them that people live and have experiences under.  I'm not so sure we just aren't paying for not having one in that orderly 25 year or so sequnce. Getting your kids to understand that deprevation and degrees of want are a real possibility may be every bit as importnat as helpiing them learn to read.

Hopingth ephysics isn't such that this big dump isn't going to have to make up for 2 of them,

I follow what you are saying and maybe that is why farm raised kids do better, at least many, because they have seen the financial restraints that farming puts on a family at least some years.

I also think from what I have heard my parents, aunts and uncles talk about that even in hard times some people did not learn to manage their finances and I know of 35-50 year olds who do very well at managing their resources although they may be a minority.

Senior Contributor

Re: Maple syrup time?

@GreaTOne_65 wrote:

Hey, Canuck! Has the sap started running? My brother and I used to tap sugar bush too! It meant the start of farming for us. We only did it as a hobby, I think we may have had 2-300 taps, we built a shanty back in the woods, collected the sap with a OC-3 Cletrac, and a stone-boat with a 150 gal tank on it, what a time we used have!!

GTO you were big operators, we only have 120 taps. More trees but all the pails we have. Just do it for our own use, family and a few friends.

Sap started running this week, just mediocre runs so far but some everyday and our little pan can just keep up.

We do it the old way, just for 'fun'.

Our kids used to enjoy helping and our grandkids get a kick out of going to the bush in the old trailer behind the tractor.

they are not real good at hauling pails around the bush yet but we all have fun.

Took first boil off last night. 22 litres. Usually get around 60-70 litres by the time we are done and will last us for maybe 2 years but families are getting bigger may have to do it more often.

I am not in the pig barns any more so should be easier this year but of course I have been looking after others livestock while they are away this week so harder than when the barn was at the same site as the boiling.

Believe me it would be cheap to just buy the stuff but ours is a little thicker than what you buy and tastes better too!!!!!Smiley Very Happy

Senior Contributor

Re: Maple syrup time?

Around our country, we were just doing it for the fun of it and selling some to buy the things that made it even more fun. Right off the top of my head, I don't remember how many gallons we made. The last pan we had was a 4'X8' evaporator, a really nice rig. We had an old 200 gal, bulk milk tank on stilts that we used for a holding tank. The evaporator we had was a work of art, and really made boiling syrup fun, put it in one end and take the syrup out the other. We used wood to fire it, so when we were boiling, one kept track of the fire while the rest of us cut wood. Boy, we put some long hours on that job, but we were younger then, and wading around in mud and water a foot deep, with 2, 5 gal. pails of sap was good for us! LOL!! We all loved the smell of the sap boiling, one of the things I miss about spring.

Honored Advisor

Your story Canuck reminds me of the first Biology test I took as a freshman, I studied my butt off and was going to ace that sucker.  In my stupidity put a line through the correct answers instead of circling them as the instructions said, well I got a big fat "0".  I asked the teacher "WTF!!" well not really Smiley Happy and he said "welcome to the real world", that miss step sort of ruined the rest of the year in that class for me and I became a Creationist, no I always was Smiley Happy.  Interestingly enough the Teacher was a Christian and would explain the other side of evolution. I`ve often thought the Teacher should have let me retake the test and give me a break that one time, but no dice. 

How important are schools to your success?  Well, I have a BiL that sailed through school, Valedictorian, when he got to college it was a different story he had to study and has had job issues in the real world.  I was a average student, my only claim to fame is that I never cheated. The most successfull kid in my class cheated his way through. Another kid who was in the special "dummy group"  got quite successfull building spec homes.  There is something that makes someone do well in the real world that has nothing to do with school, I call it "ether" or spunk.  Because if you look a countries with an allegedly superior school system,the rest of their country is a diaster, yet the US can`t keep `em out.  Go figure.

Veteran Advisor

When I used to go to Winnipeg had a fellow up there give me some" second run" he called it---the syrup was fantastic ! !Smiley Wink

Advisor

In your own acronym   WTF? is this about?

" Because if you look a countries with an allegedly superior school system,the rest of their country is a diaster, yet the US can`t keep `em out.  Go figure."

Who? Whihc ones is that? A mess, or messes over what? As defined by what or whom? And I can't believe that you guys could see any country in any bigger mess than you  over and over again and again  on a daily basis describe our country as being in..

Honored Advisor

Let`s say you`re 20 yrs old Bruce with no family ties anywhere, wouldn`t you rather live in the US? On Canuck`s list the US`s score was 23th.  The top 5 were Shanghai-China, would you rather live there???  Korea? Finland?  Hong Kong?  Singapore?   I`d be willing to wager all 5 of those countries are full of people that would jump at the chance to move here, even though we`re number 23.  Also there is not a long line of US citizens wanting to move to ...a Finland. As much as we complain about this country we have it the best in the world, Singapore for example is extremly harsh on criminals with public caning and such. Being 23th isn`t all that bad considering you don`t have the worries of number 2, Korea.

Advisor

Lots of stuff you can find in here BA.

http://www.migrationinformation.org/datahub/historicaltrends.cfm#news

Just click around. Maybe it wil convince to stop just grabbing stuff based on presumptive winger ideaology off of the top of your head.  You probably don't get challenged that way at the fertilizer plant or over coffee after church, Of course there you don't write it out for participants in the discussion to review and reflect upon.

As for jumping at teh chance to move here, I'd be curious as to just how many other parts of this country you'd be willing to pick up and move to? Without your money, of course. Can see yourself as having lived and prospered as you have in very many other places other than where you were hatched without any pail to drink out of and no creep feed?