cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bruce MN
Advisor

Such a shame that Mitt didn't win

We could have brought an entire Nation, or at least the subservian half of it to the right and into the light. F me. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/mormon-woman-awaits-excommunication-decision-huge-burden/
27 Replies
gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

Re: Such a shame that Mitt didn't win

I dont even think her excommunication would matter to anyone.  Those Mormons are the greatest tartuffe going around and there is no god anyway so what is the problem.  She gained nothing by joining those fraudsters so she lost nothing by being excommunicated.

hardnox
Advisor

BTW, saw Book of Mormon a few weeks ago.

It can make people of faith a bit uneasy with things like a rather silly Jesus giving his prophesy to Joseph Smith about the golden plates and the two lost tribes of Israel that inhabited North America a few thousand years ago, etc. But in fairness, how exactly do you treat that? Or is it inappropriate to discuss it at all?

It's ultimately not altogether unkind to the sect- the theme is about the utilitarian role of religion. Mormonism might have made people better than they might have been otherwise just as the convenient untruths that the missionary tells the African villagers to find relevance to their situation were (' The Book of Mormon says that in order to cure the AIDS you must not have sex with a virgin but with a frog").

I'm actually an adherent of a relatively utilitarian religion- Methodism, which was crafted to help desperately poor people elevate their conditions. The difference is that John Wesley didn't add anything to the Bible.

BTW also, much made here of all the black folks voting for Obama. In the 2012 race, how do you think they felt about a guy from a cult that is based on the fable of two warring tribes with the black race being the fallen people. And didn't admit black people untiul 1978 when Jimmy Carter threatened to revoke their tax exempt status (I'm thinking IRS scandal here, for sure).

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

But, let me guess, "Mormon" Harry Reid and all his shenanigans is okay?

hardnox
Advisor

I don't get a vote in Nevada, and no.

Can't say that I would have voted for Romney in 2012 but might have supported him in 2008 (before the GOP wnet totally looneytunes) had he made a thoughtful renouncement of his Mormon membership.

I'm more comfortable with non-religious folks than with members of pseudo-christian cults.  I don't really want people who hold crazy beliefs getting their finger on the button.

Or if they don't really believe those things that's kind of troubling too.

We have constituional protections for Bahaais and Zorasterians and even wiccans. OK with me, but those affiliations do offer some insight into the peron's likely leadership, imho.

Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

Nuts, your observations on the effects of Romney's mormon handicap are apt, and it makes it pretty apparent that if he had been all he is and was, plus a mainstream Christian, he undoubtably would be the one figuring out the quagmire in Iraq right now, rather than the zero.

I , for one, still await seeing what a true conservative , Christian candidate can do in a national election. Been waiting for that for all of my voting days.

hardnox
Advisor

Thinking back. I'll not offer up Jimmy Carter (not conservative and whatever).

Ticking down the list to find somebody, I think Hoover was pretty authentic to his Quaker faith.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

It`s amazing at how the Mormon religion is thriving in the western states.  I have shirtail relation that are Mormon, but don`t know much about it.  They are healthy, polite, hardworking, successful,not criminals.  I voted for Mitt, he seems to have the ability to straddle the secular world just fine.

But with religions that are what we would call whacky, isn`t that a endorsment of reining in "presidential executive orders"?  If congress had more power then you`d have 535 members that could tap the brakes if a nut got past the goalie.  You`d hope at least half of congress would be some what "sane".

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Example: House of representatives today. The majority in the house is not sane.

hardnox
Advisor

No quarrel.

It is as I said, the utilitarian view of religion. It is unquestionablly better that the Ugandans believe that having sex with frogs is the way to cure AIDS if the alternative is having sex with virgins.

But in my view of Christianity, there is no cause to invent stuff out of whole cloth in order to establish your exclusive community.