cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
18 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Suck it Bundy

I think as people get more "progressive" the idea of a "single tax" will apeal more and more.  That is everyone owns all the land and the producers pay tax or "rent" on it and that will be the "single tax".  No doubt that the one willing to pay the highest tax....or be most politically connected will be in control of the land.

http://www.dollarsandsense.org/archives/2006/0306gluckman.html 

Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

everytime a progressive sings "this land is my land, this land is your land" they get a woody guthrie.

If the current trajectory would hold, the 2014 republican win excluded, we will not have private property rights in a generation, at least in the ag sector. If farmers, such as my father and grandfather, would have refused to play ball with the government and not accepted the commodity payments in place of a free market, maybe we would have more farmers and more political clout still.

Stalin and Mao did it with guns, exiles, and executions. America consolidated the farms into collective farms and drove out the small independents by harnessing human greed and using the marketplace.

Samthehumble
Senior Contributor

In 1879 that was something to think about.  in 2015, imagine the tax that would be required if that was the only funding of our bloated monsterous government.  No way.

Its a worthy idea though.  Since we're not starting from scratch the public would have to first buy the property back at fair market value.  Access control would also still fall to the tenant, you couldn't have the public squatting whereever they liked or no productive use could be made.    It would be a tremendously corruptable system, as whoever was favored by the government would be given control, but that is the same as how the government hands out favors now. 

Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

South Africa has the blueprint in place already and I imagine Barry and Erica studied that extensiviely.

wehav
Senior Contributor

When people talk about greed and blame BTO's as greedy I wonder if their being disingenuous.  As a kid growing up on a small by today's standards farm I remember our phone bill was about $20 a year and the electric bill was about that much a month.  I even bought gasoline for $.10 at the gas station during one of the many gas wars.  A candy bar bigger than today's was a nickel and a new truck was $1600.

I went to the movies for a quarter and got a decent box of popcorn for $.10.  After getting sick and spending 10 days in the hospital my day paid out $900.  A visit to the doctor was $5.

My first big 4WD tractor, a Case 2470 was around $20,000 maybe $25,000.  I remember trading in a 1270 Case on it so it's a little fuzzy.  We had been looking at a 4400 JD with both heads and backed out when they raised the price from $14,900 to a little over $16,000.

My point is everywhere I look prices have exploded, my first teacher received $800 a year and now the kindergarten teacher gets $50,000 in our system.  Not only that by my teacher had to clean the school and the toilets.  Everything fell on her, compare that to today's teacher who babysits half the kids.

I don't think it's any person's greed in farming that has made big operators it's the greed of government and society forcing people off the land as they can't make a living.  government is the source of inflation, just compare government worker wages to the private industry wages.  Every year they get an increase, every year the budget gets bigger. 

Samthehumble
Senior Contributor

That paying out fair market value is not what they've got in mind.

Make nearly everything in some way illegal,  asset forfeiture for anyone the rulers find objectionable, exemptions for those prefered. 

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Except Sens. McCain and Flake who just agreed to give away a large tract of Arizona federal land that is held as sacred land by the Apaches to a foreign copper mining company.
bruce MN
Advisor

Wow

Not one word about ag in there except for the fact that three-quarters SUPPORTED livedtock grazing. And no mention of wether or not those who supported it had any problem with a grazer welching on the rent.

Trying to figure out how the article precipitated the topics in the ensuing discussion????

Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

Re: Wow

thats what happens when you are too lazy to give a synopsis of the article except for your subject line.