cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bruce MN
Advisor

Sympathy for policy makers

Either side.  Efforts fruitless.  Let anarchy rein.  Let all who feel disconnected morph into the feral existence they seem to crave.

1/3 of Americans don't know that ACA and Obamacare are the same thing. 45% don't believe ACA will be repealed if Obamacare is.

What did it say in Ecclesiastes about futility?  

13 Replies
ihtractortherap
Senior Contributor

Re: Sympathy for policy makers

Hmm, maybe that says something bout our education system!
bruce MN
Advisor

He!!ishly good reporting by "the other paper" in "the cities"

ihtractortherap
Senior Contributor

For one thing Trump can't bring prosperity on his own. Its going to take the cesspool we call Congress.
At least two things must happen, audit the Federal Reserve and bustup and prosecute the medical monopolies. If the debt came down and medical costs reigned in , prosperity would follow.
RJG640v8
Senior Contributor

Re: He!!ishly good reporting by "the other paper" in "the cities"

thanks ! Good read. I grew up in Crawford County on a Dairy and Crop farm.  It illustrates the fact that things stay the same. What was talked about in that article as to how it is now, is how it was 30 + years ago there. Jobs that pay little and few opportunities. You could stay and be poor or move and better your situation. The best jobs were working for a school district , the County , or the Medical professions. Other than that it was pretty hard scrabble. For farmers you were either on the steep rocky clay knobs and hills or you were in the valley with good dirt but frequently flooded out.   Beautiful country to drive through or go hunting.

hardnox
Advisor

Not that I'll find more than a very limited number of takers on the proposition here, but no doubt in my mind that this is the logical outcome of 8 years of GOP nihilistic obstructionism. Who could have imagined that The War on Truth would go from brushfire to all out conflagration in less than a year?

But the fact that Things Actually Can Get Worse will only dawn on many slowly, and one at a time. For many, never.

And hard tellin' if we go too far down the rabbit hole before enough recognize they were had.

hardnox
Advisor

It requires no explanation as to why this is how it is at this site- that nobody wants to go there.

But I'm always fascinated by these snapshots of rural communities by outsiders who can't even imagine the role that the decline of agriculture, particularly since 1980 has played.

They drive into town and assume all those pickups mean there muct be a lot of farmers- or for that matter people with jobs at the elevators, feed mills, co-ops etc.

bruce MN
Advisor

Exceptional supplemental piece

bruce MN
Advisor

It was interesting that the one farmer who was quoted was described as having dealt with lower milk prices by turning to growing 10000 acres of corn and soybeans.

Mpls. Tribune ran a big piece on school bond taxation.  Kept referring to "farmers", when the issue is production Ag acres.  Way more owned by people who don't live in the District and certainly aren't working farmers in very many instances.

The Grant-Wood image continues to work extremely well.  Just simple servants of the land, doing all they can to feed a hungry world.  (Not sure how cutting off trade is going to play on that stage).

hardnox
Advisor

The large gated community to your south that you often refer to is a prime example.

Even there, a percent or two, at most, are directly involved in ag production at an economic level. But several percent more of the depleted population either own or have hopes of inheriting* a piece of ground (and probably almost tilted with the dollar signs flashing in their eyes recently) and just expect the gubmint to keep tilting the table toward their laps.

And now they probably want to run off the Hispanics who underpin the "low cost producer" globalist meat economy (after IBP and Iowa RTW broke the meatpacking unions).

As I've noted before in my rants about the extraordinary sense of entitlement among The Good People, also did their part in setting the Arab Spring in motion and undermining Europe and NATO in the process. 

Which is now a good thing, for reasons that entirely escape me.

*Another phenomenon is the younger folks who pretend to be farmers so they get preferential interest in the inheritance.