cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rawhide
Advisor

Re: TX storm

You shouldn't have to put de-icers on windmills with all the global warming should you?  I mean it seems obvious

r3020
Senior Advisor

The man made global warming crowd are perplexed. Their sky is falling but it is because of the cold.

jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

@r3020 wrote:

The man made global warming crowd are perplexed. Their sky is falling but it is because of the cold.

Our skies not falling - not by a long shot.  Global warming predicts extremes of temperature and storms. Just like what we have going on.

Jen

RJG640v8
Senior Contributor

@sdholloway56 wrote:

too busy seceding to buy the anti-icing packages for their windmills.

And up here we keep a fuel oil reserve for the peaker turbines in case gas pressure drops.

Dear Texas State Government ,

I know you have been busy trying to throw out WI, MI, PA and GA election results , overturning ACA , and dealing with unusual weather.  If you have a minute , maybe two,... you might consider regulating your Energy industry.

Signed,

Concerned Citizen of a State you tried to meddle in. 

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Whether or not windmill blades have deicers is probably the decision of Mid America Energy or whatever subsidy sucking COMPANY that put them up.   I can`t see a Governor micro managing the design of windmills.  

r3020
Senior Advisor

Just as in the days of George Washington and Abraham Lincoln. Even in the days when Bruce Jenner was on the Wheaties boxes. But now we have 6 years until extinction. No the sky is not falling, but the oceans are going to drown us.

RJG640v8
Senior Contributor

@BA Deere wrote:

Whether or not windmill blades have deicers is probably the decision of Mid America Energy or whatever subsidy sucking COMPANY that put them up.   I can`t see a Governor micro managing the design of windmills.  

Well.....  the buck usually stops at the top.  If nothing else, they,  I would hope have an EMS in place. Part of that is having a head , who reports up the chain , and up the chain and so on and so forth and it is the Govs ultimate responsibility..... hopefully if they are any good they have game planned as many scenarios as possible to at least have a system in place to thwart or lessen impact. And a plan for recovery and continuity. EMS and Procurement would obviously work together to make sure they put out for bids what it is they need. From what I have read , various and multiple sources , it was indeed a decision made by the state of Texas as to what their needs were. Whomever would have bid them a proposal and upon acceptance delivered what was spelled out. No more and no less per the contract.

looks to me like it is lonely at the top time.  

r3020
Senior Advisor

It is becoming quite clear the governors need to call for more fossil fuel powered generation. Green is unable to provide for demands.

rickgthf
Senior Advisor

Re: Before you build more ...

Before you build more coal-fired plants maybe you should ice-proof your poles & wires.

Quote:"In Texasdamage includes close to 63 transmission lines and 57 substations. Because the damage to the transmission system is so vast and immense, in many cases special equipment will be used as we begin to dismantle mangled structures made up of steel, concrete and tensioned wires."

All the generation capacity in the world won't help with a functional distribution system,

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

I was at a guy`s place a while back and one of the roads were closed with trucks hauling in windmill blades, i says "what the heck, are they wore out already, they aren`t that old" and he says "nope, they decided to put in longer blades" .  These windmills don`t last forever...yeah yeah yeah eeeeeverything`s political, I get that blame the guy or gal in office if they aren`t in your party.  

There`s a saying "Don`t build a church based on Easter service attendance" .  If you have ice on the windmill blades, you also have ice on the powerlines and transformers, a down line and poles put you out of commission as surely as a little ice on the blades.  How common is ice on blades in Texas?  How reliable are deicers? What are the cost of deicers?  Now the biggie, how much does everyone`s electric bill go up putting deicers on blades if this is a one in ten year occurrence?  See, I bet none of you bashers have the answers to those questions off the top of your heads.

Speaking of BLAMING those at the top!   If it was governor of Florida sticking Covid people in nursing homes....Katey bar the door!!!