cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor

Taking Bin Laden’s Side

Taking Bin Laden’s Side By NICHOLAS D. KRISTOF

Is there any doubt about Osama bin Laden’s position on the not-at-ground-zero mosque

Osama abhors the vision of interfaith harmony that the proposed Islamic center represents. He fears Muslim clerics who can cite the Koran to denounce terrorism.

It’s striking that many American Republicans share with Al Qaeda the view that the West and the Islamic world are caught inevitably in a “clash of civilizations.” Anwar al-Awlaki, the American-born cleric who recruits jihadis from his lair in Yemen, tells the world’s English-speaking Muslims that America is at war against Islam. You can bet that Mr. Awlaki will use the opposition to the community center and mosque to try to recruit more terrorists.

In short, the proposed community center is not just an issue on which Sarah Palin and Osama bin Laden agree. It is also one in which opponents of the center are playing into the hands of Al Qaeda.

These opponents seem to be afflicted by two fundamental misconceptions.

snip-.

President George W. Bush was statesmanlike after 9/11 in reaching out to Muslims and speaking of Islam as a religion of peace. Now many Republicans have abandoned that posture and are cynically turning the Islamic center into a nationwide issue in hopes of votes. It is mind-boggling that so many Republicans are prepared to bolster the Al Qaeda narrative, and undermine the brave forces within Islam pushing for moderation.

Why do so many Republicans find strip clubs appropriate for the ground zero neighborhood but object to a house of worship? Are lap dances more sanctified than an earnest effort to promote peace?

snip-

And this is an earnest effort. I know Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf and his wife, Daisy Khan — the figures behind the Islamic community center — and they are the real thing. Because I have written often about Arab atrocities in Darfur and about the abuse of women in Islamic countries, some Muslim leaders are wary of me. But Imam Feisal and Ms. Khan are open-minded and have been strong advocates for women within Islam.

snip-

The second misconception underlying this debate is that Islam is an inherently war-like religion that drives believers to terrorism. Sure, the Islamic world is disproportionately turbulent, and mullahs sometimes cite the Koran to incite murder. But don’t forget that the worst brutality in the Middle East has often been committed by more secular rulers, like Saddam Hussein and Hafez al-Assad. And the mastermind of the 1970 Palestinian airline hijackings, George Habash, was a Christian.

Remember also that historically, some of the most shocking brutality in the region was justified by the Bible, not the Koran. Crusaders massacred so many men, women and children in parts of Jerusalem that a Christian chronicler, Fulcher of Chartres, described an area ankle-deep in blood. While burning Jews alive, the crusaders sang, “Christ, We Adore Thee.”

20 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Taking Bin Laden’s Side

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

And if they build the mosque at ground zero they will use that to recruit more terrorist. They use everything to recruit more terrorist, because they are extremist. It can only be stopped by the moderate muslims.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

BTW, when did George WE Bush go from being a cowboy who lied and people died to being spokesman for the muslim world? LMFAO!!!!

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I know, I know. Don't even respond John, I'll grow up and have another beer because of my blinding, bigoted hatred islamophobia. LMFAO!!!!!!.....ROTFLMFAO!!!! George W Bush is now a statesman!!!!! ROTFLMFAO!!!!

Hey I know.... Let's send George W Bush to the muslim nations to build Bridges and bring the muslim imam back home.  Yeah should mend some fences. I'm sure all the muslims will now love George W Bush!!! LMAO for a week.

Highlighted
Advisor

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

The New York Times says President Bush was like a statesman to the muslims after 9-11......I'll bet Kieth Olbermann and Chris Mathews are both laying on the floor, foaming at the mouth, twitching!!!

Highlighted
Advisor

WHOO! Get a grip!  What hysterics!  Guess you know the rational logical people are not buying the hate monger's BS and the only one who fall for it are some Plumber Joe types and people who believe Plain is genus.  In the long run the self serving politicians and those who have sold out are going to get the same result as they did last time, with that birther type mickey mouse.

Don't get so hysterical, I'm a farmer I work during the day when possible, I'm not ignoring you, but you ain't got anything but silly fear mongering.  They are not going to requit terrorists, maybe they will bring people to understand their religion is not sinister, and that is what you fear the most, peace.

Yes you need more beer, get drunk enough you can go to sleep without laying awake fearing Arabs under your bed or lurking in that dark closet.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

You can't be scared when your laughing!!!! Thanks for making my day. Took one of our daughters to college today, was feeling kind of down till I read your post. Just gota love that New York Times and live in wonderment of the liberal mind. George W Bush a statesman after 9-11. LMAO.

YEEEEE HAAAAA!!!

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

WAIT, what was that noise......I think Ariana Huffington just hit the floor!!!