cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Tanks and planes to Egypt? Paid for by the American taxpayer?

Just the what, not the why, as in WHY is the Obama administration doing this?  10 fighter jets, and 200 Abrams tanks, more or less for free?

http://www.examiner.com/article/barack-obama-set-to-give-egypt-10-fighter-jets-200-tanks

35 Replies
johnaa
Advisor

Re: Tanks and planes to Egypt? Paid for by the American taxpayer?

The US has been supplying arms to Egypt for decades, making sure Israel has superior weapons.  Guess why.

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

I know they have been sending them arms for a long time, I just didn't know that they were paid for by American taxpayers.

r3020
Senior Advisor

@Nebrfarmr wrote:

Just the what, not the why, as in WHY is the Obama administration doing this?  10 fighter jets, and 200 Abrams tanks, more or less for free?

http://www.examiner.com/article/barack-obama-set-to-give-egypt-10-fighter-jets-200-tanks

Because Obama supports the muslim terrorhood. Doesn't matter how many Christians they slaughter.

ollie2655
Senior Contributor

Re: any thing to break america

and want more taxes !!! any libs out there or all in hiding
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

It was my understanding, that the deal was cut in 2010, before the Muslim Brotherhood took over.

But even then, why were they free?

r3020
Senior Advisor

@Nebrfarmr wrote:

It was my understanding, that the deal was cut in 2010, before the Muslim Brotherhood took over.

But even then, why were they free?

They changed leadership, that is enough to void the deal. Why were they free, be a good question to ask Hillary.

johnaa
Advisor

Re: Tanks and planes to Egypt? Paid for by the American taxpayer serfrs?

No personal opinion intended, I'm anti-Empire.

Quid pro quo.   The Empire needs to buy friends.

This is the first best thing I could come up with without spending more time, it's a little out of date, but the logic is still valid as it ever was.   All this hot air is just more D vsR politic propaganda and noise from the ignorant fools of the hatemonger's parrot cages. 

http://www.cnas.org/node/5654  Better to read the whole article.

snip--Also suddenly at risk, along with Bright Star, is the access of U.S. military forces to Egypt's sprawling naval facilities at Alexandria and the huge Cairo West air base, as well as over-flight rights and guaranteed transit for U.S. warships through the Suez Canal -- all critical underpinnings of the U.S. ability to project power in the region, to contain Iran, reassure Israel and strengthen stability.

As Defense Secretary Robert Gates observed after meeting with Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak two years ago, the United States relies on "full participation and leadership from Egypt'' as it grapples with Iran, the Arab-Israeli peace process and post-war Iraq.

Losing that relationship and access "would be a strategic disaster,'' said James Phillips, senior Middle East researcher at the Heritage Foundation in Washington. "Not only because it would damage our capability to mobilize naval and other forces to help contain Iran, but also because it would weaken our whole defense strategy and network in the Middle East.''

It is that kind of worst-case scenario that military planners must take into account. At the Pentagon, where many officers have close personal friends inside the Egyptian military, there are both public and private expressions of hope that Egypt's military will help ease the country safely through the current turbulence.

But in contingencies or crises, American forces have depended heavily on Egyptian facilities built with U.S. aid to U.S. specifications to accommodate U.S. forces as they move from the United States and Europe to Africa or westward across Jordan and Saudi Arabia to the Persian Gulf. American nuclear powered aircraft carriers, whose jets are playing a major role in Afghanistan, rely critically on their expedited use of the Suez Canal, giving them easy access to the Red Sea and Persian Gulf.

snip-Without Egypt, they would find their options for shipping air and sea cargo, refueling and repairing aircraft and consolidating troop movements narrowed to those along the Persian Gulf. The loss of landing rights in Egypt, for example, might mean that in a crisis, wide-body jets, each carrying hundreds of troops, would have to fly directly into congested Persian Gulf airfields, rather than into Cairo West, from which smaller transports would ferry troops into action.

KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

Ain't Nothin New

Although I agree that Egypt should probably pay for it's own military, it is certainly nothing new and if you name a Congress, Republican led or Democrat led, or any Preident, there has been a lot of military aid to Egypt.

"Between 1948 and 2011, the United States provided Egypt with $71.6 billion in bilateral foreign
aid, including $1.3 billion a year in military aid from 1987 to the present. Since 1979, Egypt has
been the second-largest recipient, after Israel, of U.S. bilateral foreign assistance.3 In July 2007,
the George W. Bush Administration signed a 10-year Memorandum of Understanding (MOU)
with Israel to increase U.S. military assistance from $2.4 billion in FY2008 to over $3 billion by
2018. Egypt received no corresponding increase in U.S. military aid; instead, the Bush
Administration pledged to continue to provide Egypt with $1.3 billion in military aid annually,
the same amount it has received annually since 1987. Unlike with Israel and, separately, with
Jordan, the Bush Administration’s pledge did not involve signing a bilateral MOU with the
Egyptian government. Congress typically specifies a precise allocation of foreign assistance for
Egypt in the foreign operations appropriations bill. Egypt receives the bulk of foreign aid funds
from three primary accounts: Foreign Military Financing (FMF), Economic Support Funds (ESF),
and International Military Education and Training (IMET)."

From Congressional Research Service: Egypt: Background and US Relations - Sharp 12/6/12

KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

Note that above I posted a quote from a document. I am sure anyone could find it should they care to read more. I guess people think Obama was the first to prop up Egypt militarily? They obviously don't know much about foreign affairs and their own congress and presidents - republican or democrat. I first learned about the  about the relationship decade or more ago when I visited Ft. Benning and saw all the things that Fuad donated as a "Thanks." There was a large exhibit in the museum that Fuad gave.