Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor

Tar sand sludge pipeline leaking

11 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Re: Tar sand sludge pipeline leaking

I gather you have an issue with the Canadian oil sands?
Highlighted
Advisor

I have a problem with leaking pipelines and pollution.  I've heard all the propaganda surrounding tar sands and pipelines,  if you want to believe, it's your right. however don't bother parroting it for my benefit.

I also have problems with international corporations buying favors from the US government, let them pay their own way and build refineries in Canada-

Major Athabasca Oil Sands Projects (as of December 2007)[19]
Project NameTypeMajor PartnersNational Affiliation2007 Production (barrels/day)Planned Production (barrels/day)
Suncor Primarily Mining Suncor Energy Canada 239,100 500,000
Syncrude Mining Syncrude Canada (some China, USA) 307,000 550,000
Albian Sands Mining Shell(60%), Chevron(20%), Marathon(20%)[20] UK/Netherlands, USA 136,000 770,000
MacKay River SAGD Suncor Energy Canada   30,000 190,000
Fort Hills Mining Suncor Energy(60%), UTS Energy(20%), Teck(20%)[21] Canada   — 140,000
Foster Creek, Christina Lake[22] SAGD Cenovus Energy[nb 1](50%), ConocoPhillips(50%) Canada, USA     6,000 400,000 [23]
Surmont SAGD Total S.A.(50%), ConocoPhillips(50%) France, USA 193,000[23]
Hangingstone[24] SAGD Japan Canada Oil Sands (JACOS) Japan     8,000   30,000
Long Lake SAGD Nexen(65%), OPTI Canada(35%)[25][26] Canada 240,000
Horizon Mining and in situ Canadian Natural Resources Limited Canada 500,000[27]
Jackfish I and II SAGD Devon Energy USA  ??   70,000[28]
Northern Lights Mining Total S.A.(60%), Sinopec(40%)[29][30][31] France, China 100,000
Kearl Mining Imperial Oil, ExxonMobil USA 300,000[32]
Sunrise SAGD Husky Energy(50%), BP(50%)[33] Canada, UK 200,000[33]
Tucker SAGD Husky Energy Canada  ?? 30,000[34]
Oil Sands Project Mining and SAGD Total S.A. (76%), Oxy (15%), Inpex (10%) France, USA, Japan 225,000
Ells River SAGD Chevron(60%), Marathon(20%), Shell(20%) USA, UK/Netherlands 100,000[35]
Terre de Grace SAGD Value Creation Inc Canada 300,000[36]
Kai Kos Dehseh SAGD Statoil Norway 200,000[37]
Saleski SAGD Laricina Energy(60%), OSUM(40%) Canada 270,000[38]
Black Gold Mine Mining? Korea National Oil Corporation South Korea   30,000[39]
Total       726,100 5,068,000   
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

@johnaa wrote:
Tar sand sludge pipeline leaking

Awesome!  I'll bring my spoon.  Smiley LOL

@johnaa wrote:

The world is a dangerous place,

Oh wow, good point.  Better take this!  Smiley Tongue

Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

I merely asked a question. In that regard I take it the answer is yes that you do. However that said was the massive oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico a better plan?
I was recently at a convention where one speaker from the United States told us he had visited every single town in Canada and the United States along the proposed route of the pipeline and spoke to them about their concerns and also addressed the issue of jobs. You see the jobs are not simply in laying pipe, it's in making steel, making pipe, transporting pipe, equipment, ect ect and its not just for the pipeline. The amount of steel, materials, safety equipment, electronics, construction equipment involed in the oilsands is astounding. All concerns aside his point was simple, if you tell the oilsands producers we love your business, we love selling you our products, we love the jobs the oilsands provide for America but we won't help you move your product to market then perhaps they to will look elsewhere.
The United States can obviously do as it pleases that is your right as a nation. That said saying no to the pipeline simply means the oil will go west, it will go to the coast, and it will be loaded on super tankers and shipped to China.
The Chinese clearly see the benefit in having a reliable energy supplier with a stable democratic government that is a willing trading partner.
You have to admit it certainly is an interesting world when America prefers to buy oil from its enemies and ship it from the Middle East; and Canada is forced to ship it's oil across the Pacific to communist China.

ps your chart is seven years old we are up to around 1.7 million barrels a day in the oil sands

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

@johnaa wrote:

http://www.ipsnews.net/2013/04/leaking-pipeline-offers-warning-on-keystone-xl-proposal/

We've been piping oil for decades and there have been no huge disasters so far. Either we pipe it and get in on some of the work and revenues or it will all go some where else. That will leaves us more dependent on middle eastern oil.

Highlighted
Advisor

I guess you can't remeber how much oil the USA gets from the middle east>  I know you have been informed several times.

According to this, Crude Oil and Total Petroleum Imports Top 15 Countries, as of November 2010, the top source of crude oil for the US is…Canada. Followed by Mexico. Indeed, of the top 15 countries that import oil to the US, 51.33% of them are in North America. If we add the rest of the Americas, 60.04% comes from there. If you combined the imports of the “West” (i.e. Canada and European nations), you have 34.28%. All in all, the United States got over 75% of its crude oil from non Arab states in November of 2010.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Better we build a couple new,  efficient refineries right here in USA,  preferably close to where oil is now being produced from the Baaken and yes,  a refinery capable of cracking that type of oil coming from Canada. 

The more we here in USA control within our own  borders in refinery capacity,  the safer we are from some tin pot dictator acting up in a third world nation that sets world oil prices zooming upward.   Not a good idea to be reliant upon third world nations these days because they're not stable.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

@johnaa wrote:

I guess you can't remeber how much oil the USA gets from the middle east>  I know you have been informed several times.

According to this, Crude Oil and Total Petroleum Imports Top 15 Countries, as of November 2010, the top source of crude oil for the US is…Canada. Followed by Mexico. Indeed, of the top 15 countries that import oil to the US, 51.33% of them are in North America. If we add the rest of the Americas, 60.04% comes from there. If you combined the imports of the “West” (i.e. Canada and European nations), you have 34.28%. All in all, the United States got over 75% of its crude oil from non Arab states in November of 2010.

Just look how much we could separate ourselves from the middle east if we would also get more oil sand from Canada. They have it to sell, we need it. We are next door neighbors. A win, win from the world.

Highlighted
Advisor

That sound good to me, I heard a new refinery is being built in North Dakota.  I would hope it is the best and lest polluting plant possible, however it seems it is a rather small one, producing diesel and a diluting product to make transporting Canadian sludge through pipelines.

My biggest concern is for the world left to future generations as well as today's environment.

It's doubtful the propaganda and hysteria thrown around the last few years by politicians , oil corporations, and other liars is any more trustworthy than campaign promises.  If you look over the EIA site, it appears the refining capacity is quite adequate when they and their bought and paid for politicians are not trying to get something from government and the tax slaves.  The multi national oil cartels keep their information as secret as possible and cannot be expected to be close to Honest, which this passage from the U.S. Energy Information Administration suggests to my thinking:

"EIA cannot determine exactly the amount of crude oil produced in the United States (U.S.) that is consumed, as refined products, in the U.S. However, the majority of the crude oil produced in the U.S. is refined in U.S. refineries. The U.S. also produces other liquids that are used in the refining process that are added or blended with the refined products. In December 2012, the U.S. produced about 7.03 million barrels of crude oil per day and imported about 7.58 million barrels per day.

--->  EIA is not able to track how much domestically produced crude oil and other liquids are exported in the form of refined products. <--  The small quantity of crude oil produced in the U.S. that is exported, nearly all to Canada, may actually be returned to the U.S. as refined products."

http://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=268&t=6

While the "third world nations" may not be too reliable on the surface, they are usually dependent upon daily cash flow from selling their oil.   I am much more distrustful of the Nations and oil corporations ruled by so-called royalty and monarchs(BP, Royal Dutch Shell and the Saudi owned companies, etc) who are flush and able to play games to increase their profits over the long term and buy off media and governments.