cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Tax deductions

http://washingtonexaminer.com/13-tax-deductions-you-never-knew-existed/article/2547268

In the United States of America, a woman and her husband or sperm donor can get a tax deduction for having an abortion. I never knew this before. Is the end near yet, God?

14 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Tax deductions

Dumb question, but if you pay for your own birth control, and can deduct it, does that mean that if your health coverage pays it for you, you have to list it as income?

Senior Contributor

Re: only demonrats pay to kill babies

it is a great club to be in ----any libs wanna try me or still  skeerd

Veteran Advisor

Re: Tax deductions

Yes, that is a dumb question. You don't get to deduct the part your health insurance pays on anything because that isn't out of pocket expenses. As long as something is legal, your out of pocket expenses count toward your medical expense deductions but only if you itemize and have enough medical expenses in relation to your income to qualify. Chill young man!
Senior Contributor

Let me try again

I don't think you understood my question, so I'll try wording it a little better.

It seems a person can deduct the cost of birth control from their taxes, according to the link above.

If that is true, does someone who's birth control is paid for by another party (insurance, employer, etc.) consider that as income?

Senior Advisor

Re: Let me try again

Most employee benefits are not taxable items. Workers that have been employed for years have had the benefit of untaxed insurance benefits, Which employers have been able to expense on their tax returns. It's only been in the last couple of decades that self employed people have been able to deduct health insurance costs.

Senior Advisor

Re: only demonrats pay to kill babies

I'll bet your mother has had so many regrets!

Senior Advisor

Re:Is it not a medical procedure? NT

NT

Senior Contributor

Actually, it has really only been in the last few years, unless you were in a corporation, at least here in NE.

Veteran Advisor

I think you could apply that logic to everything health insurance covers. I broke my face. Surgery cost $15K. I paid my deductible and insurance paid the rest. Should I have included the thousands that insurance paid as income when I deducted my medical expense on my tax return?