cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
r3020
Senior Advisor

Re: Teacher to student: can't write about Jesus

@KNAPPer wrote:

Well, I have found a copy of the resolution for you if you care to see. I also found many other resolutions where Christian churches were commended - as a matter of fact, so many that I quit looking and only posted the first few I ran accross. So, apparently there is no separation of church and state or commending a religious organization does not constitute a state sponsored religion. Either way, your connection between the paper and the commendation(s) is very tenuous at best.

https://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?141+ful+HJ484 (Islamic center)

Church of the Infant Jesus of Prague: https://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?141+sum+HR28

Sixth Baptist Church: https://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?141+sum+HR37

Third Baptist Church: https://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?141+sum+HR45

Little Zion Baptist Church: https://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?141+sum+HR110

Williamsburg United Methodist Church: https://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?141+sum+HR147

I posted a copy of the resolution.

WCMO
Senior Advisor

Am thinking there is more to the story.  In general, the 2nd grader should be able to write about any hero they desire, be it Abraham Lincoln, her daddy, Jesus, Superman, whoever.  Since the Mom talked to the teacher, and feels the situation is still not resolved, there are a few possible answers -- either the teacher is an idiot, or the teacher is simply trying to encourage the child to think about something else; and perhaps the Mom is over-reacting to something that is not really an issue.  It could be that the Mom is a religious fanatic, or it could be the Mom is an athiest, and anything in between -- this probably has more to do with the situation than the child's 2nd grade assignment.  Mom might just be pissed because she suggested the little girl write about Jesus in the first place.

The is newsworthy only in the Bible Belt.

bruce MN
Advisor

I grew up in what was considerrably more Bible Belt then (the 50's) that it is now.  I think you've got a pretty good handle on this. I'm quite sure that in the public school that I and my siblings attended in a conservative town and county where just about everybody attended church regularly. The "stricter" ( a term everybody used then and I still hear sometimes) churches were in the majority. This seneario would have played out as that a sudent would have been discouraged from if not summarily prohibited from such a project. Discouragwed by general agreement out of some unwritten code that had to do with the matter of Separation.  Not as it would  seen from religious conservatives today, but as it would have been by them then.  Along with everybody else.

This is probably a Mom who is fanatic about her evangelicalism who encouraged and likely set this whole thing up, using if not abusing an impressionable and quite likely intimidated if not terrified  6 or 7 year old child in the process. A Mom may very likely get some of the same emails, publications and signals picked up by the fillings in her teeth that 3020 does.  It's just one big huge national project and won't end any time soon. And as you say, most likely quite regionalized.

Husker-J
Senior Contributor

Thousands die each day because of no insruance?  
Don't you think that is a bit exaggerated?

As to the subject at issue, I think that the poster that said that there is more to the story, is probably right.

However, in 2nd grade, if it truly was an 'open' assignment, they should be able to write about anyont they wanted to, whether it be Jesus, Big Bird, or the Flying Pizza Monster.

I don't think it would be a big deal at all, keeping religion out of schools, and I wouldn't even be posting on this thread, if it weren't for assignments like this:

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/parent-stews-over-son-s-islamic-assignment

-snip-

Seventh-graders at Martinsville East Middle School were asked to write at least 125 words "as though you are on the journey to Mecca and are writing in your journal about what you see and experience," 6News' Joanna Massee reported.

-snip-

Husker-J
Senior Contributor

I'm with you, on that.   They can leave all religions out of school assignments, as far as I'm concerned.

My only qualm might be when the assignment is to write about 'anyone', and then the teacher says 'no, not Jesus'. 
However, I think most of the story, is not being told, regarding the details, and as they say, the devil is in the details.

Was it a 'no' to Jesus, because it was outside of the original intent of the assignment (for example, was it someone that is currently living in the neighborhood, etc), or did the teacher just say 'no', because they have something against Jesus?

Husker-J
Senior Contributor

Actually, Jesus is mentioned in the Bible, the Jewish book (Torah??), and the Koran.  I belive all 3 say he was a prophet, but only the Bible says he is the Messiah.

gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

I dont have a problem with your kids learning about your silly god but not with the taxpayers money.  I know it happens all over western society but it should not be happening for the Muslims either.  The public education system should never include religion in the caricculum because if is baseless and of no benefit to a vulnerable child.  I can only guess it is that vulnerability which the jesus junkies prey on to get the kid hooked on god for the rest of his life.  Throw in a few prayers and a couple of threats of eternal fire with Satan and the job is complete.  Does that sound about right or do you let your children decide for themselves!!!!!  Yeah I bet you do. 

gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

Poor old 3020 has lost the plot completely with his god addiction. He needs to go to an atheists boot camp to get him back on an evil keel.

Here's the scenario. In a desert near Brian's he is subjected to massive blasphemy and the repeat bombardment of atheist quotes. His mind start to crack and he swirls around in the sand like a broken caterpillar tractor, swallowing dust by the shovel full, heaving and mentally raving at the mere mention of no heaven exists. The torture concludes when a bucket full of atheists quotes are thrown over him. He gets to his knees, takes a deep breath before spitting mud shaped particles shaped like old prayers, throws his head back like appealing to his past mentor and with his first gasp of free air bellow" Christ that feels good".

The irony is all this can be claimed on obamacare.

That is Australian for taking the mickey out of people. ENJOY.
r3020
Senior Advisor

@gough whitlam wrote:
Poor old 3020 has lost the plot completely with his god addiction. He needs to go to an atheists boot camp to get him back on an evil keel.

Here's the scenario. In a desert near Brian's he is subjected to massive blasphemy and the repeat bombardment of atheist quotes. His mind start to crack and he swirls around in the sand like a broken caterpillar tractor, swallowing dust by the shovel full, heaving and mentally raving at the mere mention of no heaven exists. The torture concludes when a bucket full of atheists quotes are thrown over him. He gets to his knees, takes a deep breath before spitting mud shaped particles shaped like old prayers, throws his head back like appealing to his past mentor and with his first gasp of free air bellow" Christ that feels good".

The irony is all this can be claimed on obamacare.

That is Australian for taking the mickey out of people. ENJOY.

That's a great story Gouch. Hilarious. You have a great sense of humor. I have made it my life's mission to save your soul, I pray for you daily my friend. One day we shall be together in paradise.

Milligan Hay - Iowa d:^)
Veteran Advisor

He wrote that at 4 in the morning, his time in Oz, so I'm thinking that he is having a grand time with a bottle (or two)!of distilled spirits.
"O, tie me kangaroo down, sport, tie me kangaroo down! ...."