cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Test for the Republicans?

Will it be a test for the Republicans as this article indicates and if so will they pass or fail.

Few industries are compromised by export success. Ethanol is an exception. By definition, none of the 250 million gallons sold overseas this year were being used to free America from its reliance on crude brought in from the likes of Venezuela and Saudi Arabia, undercutting one of the industry's main justifications for taxpayer handouts. They're even harder to defend given U.S. producers sold ethanol to Riyadh.  ................    

That makes ethanol an excellent opportunity for incoming Republicans, not to mention longtime industry friend President Barack Obama, to display their mettle on austerity and the deficit. Cutting -- or better still eliminating -- the subsidy would show the GOP is willing to endure some political pain to get borrowing under control. Failure to do so, on the other hand, would be a sorry indicator for future Republican budget heroics.

https://research.tdwaterhouse.ca/research/public/Markets/CommoditiesNews?documentKey=1314-N16106891-...

20 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Test for the Republicans?

Canuck, the only subsidy ethanol receives is a $.46/gallon blenders tax credit. Only in America is not taxing something considered a subsidy.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Exxon Mobile has been reporting billions in profit and paying no tax. So if they are getting .46 per gallon for blenders credit I would say that is a pretty nice incentive or subsidy. But aome of you don't mthink corps or stockholders should pay taxes. So I'm guessing that you think that credit is really against taxes that should not be collected in the first p[lace.

Thus your claim that it isn't a subsidy. So I imagine that instead of government paying you $20k per year in farm subsidies, they could just give you a tax credit and you wouldn't be subsidized. Write the $20 K directly off your tax bill and you could claim that you aren't getting any subsidy.

If you thought that up all by yourself, that is pretty creative, but I suspect you picked that up off the GOP propaganda machine.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Not charging taxes on something is not a subsidy. In the lib world tobacco companies are getting the biggest subsidy of all. They are only paying $4.00/ pack instead of $10. Let's end the subsidy to big tobacco.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

You never stop proving how ignorant that you are do you??????

In a right wing extremist world, bubblegum is the biggest contributor to the GDP. LOL

Am I the ONLY one that always hears "feed the parrot", "feed the parrot" when 3020 posts something??????

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

No, your not. He's beginning to sound more like Oily everyday, they obviously listen to the same garbage, the one just above playing in his poop, Glenn Beck.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I love it when liberals talk, keep up the good work boys. Time to lobby congress and demand an end to the firewood subsidy.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

See that's just what we've been talking about, now you tell us your out playin' in the trees! Swinging by you tail, I'll bet!

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

So was cash for clunkers a subsidy. Was home purchase tax credit a subsidy? I you owe government taxes and they give you incentive that allows you to avoid those taxes, it certainly is a subsidy.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Is not taxing fire wood a subsidy? A real subsidy is a couple of carrier groups patroling the strait of hormuz.