cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Milligan Hay - Iowa d:^)
Veteran Advisor

Texas Voter ID Law

Friday, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that Texas could enforce its new voter ID law this November. Three justices dissented from the ruling. The ruling did not address the merits of the case. It was simply a matter of the Court not wanting to tinker with the election rules so close to an election. Earlier, a district court judge found that the law was an unconstitutional poll tax because people had to pay money to get the necessary documents in order to get a valid voter ID card. The case will go to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit next, then back to the Supreme Court, probably next year, for a ruling on the merit.
9 Replies
wehav
Senior Contributor

Re: Texas Voter ID Law

It's interesting that one judge found it unconstitutional because a person had to pay to get an ID and that was then extrapolated as a poll tax.

I wonder if the same judge would find it unconstitutional to charge people for a concealed weapons permit as that infringes on the right to keep and bear arms?  Charging people for a right is an infringement.

gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

It's that almighty big government enforcing the user pays system so the taxpayer doesn't have to foot the bill. Bluudy government.
schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Do you have one? Why should you get instruction, fingerprinted and the permit for free?
wehav
Senior Contributor

Why should you be fingerprinted and why do you need instructions?

You aren't fingerprinted for a drivers license, hunting license, pesticide license etc.  And in the case of a drivers license the government furnishes you a road to drive on but in the case of CC the government offers you nothing but hassle.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

I have no idea but it your party's law, ask the TX gov. You guys are the ones screaming for voter ID. As for finger printing, it wouldn't do any good unless you had been arrested or in the miltary other than to have your prints on file.
wehav
Senior Contributor

you brought up fingerprinting with regard to gun ownership and you brought up instructions in that same vein.  are you now trying to make it appear as though they are part of the voter ID?

I didn't need my fingerprints taken nor did I need instruction on how to shoot.  All I needed was my DD214 and $50.  I still can't fingure out why I needed to pay $50, they did nothing but give me a piece of paper saying I could carry.  Previously I had a licence that didn't cost me anything.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

You don't get instruction on how to shoot. In AZ you have to have instruction on state laws pertaining to firearms or in the case of a veteran, swear that you are familiar with the law. Yes I was thinking of when you get a teacher's certification, you have to to get a fingerprint card in AZ. But again it is your party that is so intent on voter ID so you better ask them.
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

When dead people vote, it's always 100% Democrat.... I wonder why. Republican just can't get one single dead person vote. Smiley Happy
schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

How do you have access to every vote cast? I think calling you a liar is fitting.