cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

Thanksgiving = rulesgiving

Almighty God giveth, almighty big government taketh away.

snip-

Regulation: As Americans sit down for their Thanksgiving feast, they likely don't realize that another big, nonholiday-related expense is about to hit, courtesy of the Obama administration: a new wave of regulations.

With little fanfare, the White House announced more than 2,000 new regulations — including 144 deemed "economically significant" — just before Thanksgiving.

The law requires doing this twice a year, and Obama has followed it faithfully — repeatedly releasing rafts of costly new rules just days before holidays, when people are most distracted and not paying attention.

Luckily, Heritage Foundation fellow James Gattuso is paying attention. He notes that the 144 new economically significant rules is a record, breaking the previous high of 136 set just last spring.

The regulations, he adds, "span the full scope of American life, ranging from labeling requirements for pet food, new test procedures for battery chargers, mandated paid sick leave for contractors and automatic speed limiters for trucks to a dozen new rules limiting energy use (and increasing the price) of everything from furnaces and dishwashers to dehumidifiers."

Those rules might not sound so bad, but that phrase "economically significant" means that each of them will cost the economy at least $100 million.

So, at minimum, those 144 new rules will cost us north of $14 billion a year. That doesn't include the other 1,856 or so new rules, which will cost billions more.

Read More At Investor's Business Daily: http://news.investors.com/ibd-editorials/112515-782652-days-before-thanksgiving-white-house-dumps-co...

3 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Thanksgiving = rulesgiving

Let me see if I have this right.  Obama is faithfully doing something that is required by law and yet you slam him for it!!

Advisor

Durnburnit I didn't read this until now-AFTER I BROUGHT IN A LOAD OF WOOD TO BURN IN THE SHOP TODAY.  I wonder if I will be in govt. compliance when smoke comes out of the chimney?

Senior Contributor

Is that anything like bogus voter ID laws that will cost money and the right to vote for well tanned democrats?