cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

That darn green energy

Solar could probably eventually* make up about half of US energy needs. Other forms are required in the mix, but with photovoltaic power now the cheapest energy ever, it makes all the sense in the world to start moving there as rapidly as possible. Jobs, jobs, jobs.

At current efficiencies that would take an area about the size of MA (assumes growing demand from EVs etc). A lot would be in the SW and there's plenty of space there. A lot can go on rooftops, parking lots etc. and it is generally more efficient to use it at the site of production when possible.

*2035 isn't an unreasonable goal.

9 Replies
aljessen61
Senior Contributor

Re: That darn green energy

Bong XXXXXXXXXXXXX.

r3020
Senior Advisor

Is anyone preventing anyone from bringing solar to market? You can put solar panels in your yard any time you so wish. Many guys around here have them setting behind their quad barns.

josephsuth1189587
Contributor

Of course! The extraction of that important resource can provide not only the United States but the whole world. Have you ever heard of geração distribuida de energia. It is an organization established in Brazil that concludes lucrative contracts for the consumer and supplies him with clean energy. I believe that this is a big breakthrough into the future, which will help poorer countries to reach a new level. Just imagine how many opportunities open up when you receive free energy and how people can improve their lives!

rickgthf
Senior Advisor

Re: We have something similar here, it's called ...

community-generated solar.  Essentially, consumers sign up with a supplier who finances, constructs, and manages a solar facility that puts its output on the grid and swaps solar power &/or other power as needed with the power company to supply its clients.

It's essentially just bookkeeping.  The advantage to the power company is that they get cheap peak power when demand is high in the summer, the investment company gets a steady return on investment and the consumer gets green power at a low fixed price.

rickgthf
Senior Advisor

Re: "Anyone preventing", well the trump administration for one.

The trump administration enacted regulations requiring a certain amount of electricity is produced from the much more expensive coal. It was a blatantly obvious cater to trump's coal company campaign contributors.

aljessen61
Senior Contributor

Re: "Anyone preventing", well the trump administration for one.

" electricity is produced from the much more expensive coal."

I just have to know. How did you get your head so far up your ask?

rickgthf
Senior Advisor

Re: The cost figures for various fuels are well known.

Coal, gas, solar, wind, & hydro are $140, $60, $50, $40, & cheaper per MWh, respectively.  Look it up if yourself if you don't believe me.  You're the one with your head up your a**.4

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Talking, I believe, "new coal."

But there are plenty of aging coal plants that can be taken out of service over the next 15 years. And nobody much is ever going to build a new one.

Time to begin the precess of decommissioning the old nuke plants that are years beyond their projected useful lifespans.

But I think there is a bright future for the new small, modular nuclear tech and somewhere, maybe fusion!

aljessen61
Senior Contributor

Well it appears the libtard's have regulated coal and subsidized solar to the point that solar is cheaper. Congratulations you have now doubled your energy bill.