cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

That didn't take long

So he backtracked on earmarks and spending. No surprise, because he's elected now, but cutting military spending as a member of the GOP, albeit the teabagger faction, just started the clock of the countdown to the end of his stint in politics. LOL 

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/11/flipflop-rand-paul-quietly-reverses-earmarks-i-advocate-kentuckys...

Revealed: Rand Paul reverses on core campaign pledge before even taking office

Money talks.

Rand Paul, the next Republican US senator from Kentucky, has done an about-face on earmarks even before taking office.

In an interview published over the weekend with the Wall Street Journal, Paul signaled a major backtrack on a core campaign promise: cutting federal earmarks. The promise is a hallmark of Republican candidates of all stripes, who advocate that a smaller government is in the national interest and that money doled out for special progress is tantamount to backroom dealing.

"Rand Paul has made a ban on wasteful earmark spending in Washington D.C. one of the key points of his campaign," Paul's campaign wrote on his website. "He has supported Sen. Jim DeMint’s vocal support for an earmark ban and he supports news that House Democrats are even coming around on the idea of a partial ban."

“The Tea Party movement is an effort to get government under control,” Paul is quoted as saying on his site. “I’m running to represent Kentuckians and to dismantle the culture of professional politicians in Washington. Leadership isn’t photo-ops with oversized fake cardboard checks. That kind of thinking is bankrupting our nation. Senator DeMint understands that and has taken action to stop it.”

The Republican senator-elect, despite supporting earmarks for his home state, told ABC News' Christiane Amanpour that he would support slicing military spending.

6 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: That didn't take long

snip-Senator-Elect Rand Paul today released the following statement.

“The American People are tired of politics as usual and are demanding fundamental reform that ends the overspending and rampant political patronage we see throughout Washington.

“As part of my commitment to this effort, I will not submit Earmarks and will vote against all Earmarks. Also, one of the first pieces of Legislation I

introduce will be a Balanced Budget Amendment to the Constitution. Since there have been erroneous media reports on the subject in recent days, I wanted to be sure to correct the record. I will never Earmark. Period.

“In fact, I am joining Senators DeMint, Coburn, Toomey, Rubio, Lee and others in asking for a GOP caucus vote next week on banning earmarks entirely.

“I am very encouraged that the Senate GOP Conference will vote next week on this caucus-wide agreement to ban Earmarks as well as commit to passing a Balanced Budget Amendment.

“The fact that these votes are happening next week is powerful evidence that the TEA Party message is coming with full force to Washington.

Ending Earmarks and passing a Balanced Budget Amendment are two key parts to the fundamental reform Americans are demanding, and I will never waiver in my commitment to fight for these and other crucial solutions to out-of-control Government spending and debt.

http://www.pr-inside.com/rand-paul-urges-senate-gop-to-r2238268.htm

Veteran Advisor

So, which is it, will he do as he says in the interview that I linked, or has he backtracked on it because he caught flack from the interview??????????

It does prove one thing for sure, and this isn't the first instance of it. He'll say anything (without thinking) if he thinks it is popular or get him some time in the media. LOL

Senior Contributor

Paul quote-" Since there have been erroneous media reports on the subject in recent days, I wanted to be sure to correct the record. I will never Earmark. Period."

I will take him at is word until he proves other wise.

Senior Contributor

Good for you.....keep their feet to the fire. I hope we will all do that. If they waiver, boot them out.

Senior Contributor

Veteran Advisor

Thanks.  Now that he's got the kid in town with him he should probably set him down and have a good Father-Son chat and tell him that he needs to get his position fixed on this, one way or the other. His Sr. Senator McConnell is probably doing the same.

This Rand Paul ascension is going to be a field day for the media. Started the night he declared his candidacy  and platform on a left leaning program. And proceeded to flip-flop once he realized that somebody had actually watched it.

Gift horse.