cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: The problem with your theory..

You mean comparing a country that worships guns and has one for almost every citizen and a country that controls guns and have few in the general population?

Senior Contributor

Re: That profound statement

@Pat C. #1 wrote:

Looks like Kraft-y stepped into a big pile of crap this time. Maybe Kraft-y should know what he is talking about before he spouts off. His knowledge of the military is zero to none.

I dont know you but your comment gave me a crash interview.  And I still think Krafty is right.

Advisor

What technical or factual matters is don off on?  What, specifically in this case, do you "know about the militiary"?

Honored Advisor

Don really isn`t that stupid, he`s just trying to stir the gun control pot.   Don "insinuates" that `2 gunmen go on to a Army base where everyone is armed with a fully auto M-16 and 8 of them are killed...the 2 gunmen weren`t stopped by allll those Army soliders.  Therefore a good man with a gun doesn`t stop a bad man with a gun`.    I would hope that Don isn`t that stupid.

Actually, the Army boys aren`t walking around fully armed, this Ivan Lopez passed all the tests that liberals would say that HE should be entrusted with a gun .  And actually a good WOMAN with a gun put a stop to Lopez`s shooting spree.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/fort-hood-shooting-suspect-treated-mental-issues/story?id=23172142

Senior Contributor

Why not compare Chicago to Chicago

In mid 2013, Illinois enacted a concealed carry law. 

What happened since then?

Was it a bloodbath?

People shooting each other over parking spaces?

Nope, here is what was reported (link in text):

On Tuesday, the Chicago Police Department announced that the city experienced its lowest murder rate since 1958 in the first quarter of 2014. There were 6 fewer murders than the same timeframe in 2013 — a 9 percent drop — and 55 fewer murders than 2012, police said.

Further, there were reportedly 90 fewer shootings and 119 fewer shooting victims compared to last year. There have also been 222 fewer shootings and 292 fewer shooting victims compared to the first quarter in 2012.

All crime is down 25 percent from 2013 and police say they have confiscated over 1,300 illegal guns in the last three months.

Husker here again.   Now, I'm not claiming that crime went down because of the CC law, and no other reason, but how can one claim that more lawful gun ownership (note I said LAWFUL) cannot be linked to more crime/shooting.   
Japan was mentioned, as a far 'safer' place than the US, but couldn't the same be said for Switzerland?

From Snopes:                  http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/switzerland.asp

'The gun crime rate in Switzerland is so low, that stastics aren't even kept'      

Switzerland has one of the highest gun ownership rates in the world, with 45.7 guns per 100 residents (ranking below only the United States, Serbia, and Yemen in this measurement).

A list of countries by firearm-related death rate shows Switzerland as having 6.4 firearm deaths per 100,000 population per year, a figure considerably lower than in the United States (10.27) but higher than a number of other countries. As for gun-related crime in general, a 2001 BBC article reported that in Switzerland "the gun crime rate is so low that statistics are not even kept."

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/switzerland.asp#xYFz4xEm3GD07YMO.99
Switzerland has one of the highest gun ownership rates in the world, with 45.7 guns per 100 residents (ranking below only the United States, Serbia, and Yemen in this measurement).

A list of countries by firearm-related death rate shows Switzerland as having 6.4 firearm deaths per 100,000 population per year, a figure considerably lower than in the United States (10.27) but higher than a number of other countries. As for gun-related crime in general, a 2001 BBC article reported that in Switzerland "the gun crime rate is so low that statistics are not even kept."

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/switzerland.asp#xYFz4xEm3GD07YMO.99
Senior Contributor

Re: Why not compare Chicago to Chicago

So the Swiss do not even keep gun crime stats.............

How do they know how good or bad it is?

Here is another opinin on guns in Switzerland

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-21379912

In an average year here, there is one gun murder for every 200,000 of the population - in the US that figure is several times higher. But there are more domestic homicides and suicides with a firearm in Switzerland than pretty much anywhere else in Europe except Finland.

In his office at Zurich University, Professor Martin Killias, director of criminology at Zurich University is flicking through research papers about gun-related homicides.

"It's like smoking. Less is more. I don't support outlawing guns, I recognise people have their hobbies, just as I have mine," he tells me.

"But the fewer guns there are in cellars, attics and armoires, then that would be helpful, because there is a strong correlation between guns kept in private homes and incidences occurring at home - like private disputes involving the husband shooting the wife and maybe the children, and then committing suicide."

Veteran Advisor

Sounds like you are trying to be silly about this, Canuck. The bottem line is that virtually every statistic shows that the more legal gun ownership , the lower the crime rate in comparison.

There are plenty of issues in this world, this should be one that just gets resolved and the left moves on to some issue that they may have a legitimate point of view on. If you, personally, do not wish to own any guns and to depend on the paid police force and the inherent goodness of your fellow man, so be it.

If you were my neighbor, I might put up a sign pointing at your house that says "My neighbor doesn't own any guns, but I do". Its just like when you are out in the woods and you encounter a grizzly bear...you don't have to be able to outrun the grizzly, just to out run whoever you are with. Just Kidding...I would favor shooting the bear  and /or the common criminal and protecting all.

Senior Advisor

The most dangerous place in America is the womb. If we want to save the innocent let's start there.

Senior Contributor

@Red Steele wrote:

Sounds like you are trying to be silly about this, Canuck. The bottem line is that virtually every statistic shows that the more legal gun ownership , the lower the crime rate in comparison.

There are plenty of issues in this world, this should be one that just gets resolved and the left moves on to some issue that they may have a legitimate point of view on. If you, personally, do not wish to own any guns and to depend on the paid police force and the inherent goodness of your fellow man, so be it.

If you were my neighbor, I might put up a sign pointing at your house that says "My neighbor doesn't own any guns, but I do". Its just like when you are out in the woods and you encounter a grizzly bear...you don't have to be able to outrun the grizzly, just to out run whoever you are with. Just Kidding...I would favor shooting the bear  and /or the common criminal and protecting all.

And the Japanese with few guns and strict laws about owning them...........

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2014/01/10/national/crime-rate-in-japan-falls-11th-straight-year/#....

The number of murders and attempted murders recorded by police in 2013 declined 8.8 percent from the previous year to a postwar low of 939, the National Police Agency said.

Overall penal code violations dropped 4.4 percent to 1.32 million cases, the 11th consecutive year of decline, as the number of thefts decreased 5.2 percent to 986,309 to slip below 1 million for the first time in 40 years, the NPA said Thursday in a preliminary report.

Senior Contributor

r3020 Veteran Advisor
10:06 AM
The most dangerous place in America is the womb. If we want to save the innocent let's start there.

I knew guns were out of control over there but I didn't know they were shooting them in the womb