cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Re: Why not compare Chicago to Chicago

Are you pretty thick when it comes to processing information?

 

Japan is a racially and culturally homogenous population of civilized Asians. Maybe you want to fund an experiment where you introduce 200,000 breeding Somalians to Japan , along with 20% blacks, 20% hispanics, and of course the assorted  Dutch, Germans, Jews, Norwegians and Irish and see what the crime rate does.

Senior Contributor

Re: Why not compare Chicago to Chicago

So you are claiming that people other than Japanese are more inclined to use guns to kill people?

Guess you can read anything into statistics you like with a little looking.

 

I still say that Japan has strict gun control laws and low death rates from guns as well as a falling crime rate even though they do not have guns to force everyone to be good.

I think that is a legitimate way to look at those stats.

 

 

Senior Contributor

Re: Why not compare Chicago to Chicago

I think Japan would have low crime rates, regardless of the gun laws.   As a guy I know who lived there a while basically said, Criminals in Japan, more or less are expected to not get away with it.   He also commented, as being a 'Non Japanese' individual, pretty much everywhere he went, there was some sort of Police or security watching him, all the time.   He said such a thing here in the States would be considered 'profiling' but that it wasn't all bad.   Anytime he got lost, he could politely approach them for directions, and they would politely point him in the right direction.


Anyway, what do you think about the stats on Chicago's gun crime, and crime in general going down, now that there are more legally owned firearms there?

Senior Contributor

Re: Why not compare Chicago to Chicago


@Husker-J wrote:

I think Japan would have low crime rates, regardless of the gun laws.   As a guy I know who lived there a while basically said, Criminals in Japan, more or less are expected to not get away with it.   He also commented, as being a 'Non Japanese' individual, pretty much everywhere he went, there was some sort of Police or security watching him, all the time.   He said such a thing here in the States would be considered 'profiling' but that it wasn't all bad.   Anytime he got lost, he could politely approach them for directions, and they would politely point him in the right direction.


Anyway, what do you think about the stats on Chicago's gun crime, and crime in general going down, now that there are more legally owned firearms there?


But the stats i linked to showed Japan's crime rate falling even further and that with few guns and strict rules on what guns are allowed.

 

Senior Contributor

Re: Why not compare Chicago to Chicago

Read your link 3 times, and it said nothing about Japan farther restricting gun ownership, so I must assume that the gun laws haven't changed.  The article attributes the crime drop on "“Public- and private-sector crime prevention efforts including volunteers’ night patrols were successful,” an agency official said."

So, how can you claim tighter gun restrictions reduced the crime in Japan, when there were no tighter gun restrictions, to attribute the dropping crime rate to?   So far, it seems like you are just saying that Japan has tight gun restrictions, and less gun crime than places like the USA.   However, Switzerland has many LESS gun restrictions, and still has much less gun crime than the USA.   I would argue that Switzerland has more in common with Japan, for reasons of low gun crime, which has little to do with legal gun ownership.   It is an 'isolated' country, which is not overrun with illegals (which account for as much as 90% of murder warrants in some areas of the US), and it is a mostly homogenous society, much like Japan.

To make the argument valid, we should take a 'scientific' approach, comparing apples to apples, so to speak.

I gave the example of Chicago, where crime went down, after carry laws were enacted.   Again, I'm not trying to say that firearm ownership was the only reason that crime went down, but if the mere presence of more firearms cause crime to go up, why didn't it happen in Chicago, or really anywhere else in the USA, where carry laws have been passed?

Can you link me to any statistics, where the crime rate went down, immediately following stricter gun laws?
I can link you to story after story, where crime went down, after restrictions were eased for lawful gun ownership.

Senior Contributor

Re: Why not compare Chicago to Chicago

The claims were being made that more guns had lower the crime rate.

 

Japan did not change their laws, did not get more guns and they lowered their crime rate too.

And they already had way fewer deaths from guns.

Senior Advisor

Re: Why not compare Chicago to Chicago


@Canuck_2 wrote:

The claims were being made that more guns had lower the crime rate.

 

Japan did not change their laws, did not get more guns and they lowered their crime rate too.

And they already had way fewer deaths from guns.


That's because of their people control. Their suicide rates is nearly twice that of ours.

Senior Contributor

Re: Why not compare Chicago to Chicago


@r3020 wrote:

@Canuck_2 wrote:

The claims were being made that more guns had lower the crime rate.

 

Japan did not change their laws, did not get more guns and they lowered their crime rate too.

And they already had way fewer deaths from guns.


That's because of their people control. Their suicide rates is nearly twice that of ours.


Perhaps that is because so many in the USA were killed by guns, no need to take their own life.

10.3 per 100, 000 in the USA

0.06 per 100,000 in Japan

Senior Advisor

Re: Why not compare Chicago to Chicago


@Canuck_2 wrote:

@r3020 wrote:

@Canuck_2 wrote:

The claims were being made that more guns had lower the crime rate.

 

Japan did not change their laws, did not get more guns and they lowered their crime rate too.

And they already had way fewer deaths from guns.


That's because of their people control. Their suicide rates is nearly twice that of ours.


Perhaps that is because so many in the USA were killed by guns, no need to take their own life.

10.3 per 100, 000 in the USA

0.06 per 100,000 in Japan


They are much tougher on crime. Once arrested they can be questioned for days without a lawyer and there is no trial by jury. Plus they have some of the most stringent immigration laws in the world. They keep the undesirable out. Our gun deaths are misleading. It includes those who kill in self defense. So when the young lady killed the intruder who broke into her home armed with a knife it goes into the gun death category when if she was unarmed it would go into the knife death category.

Senior Contributor

Re: Why not compare Chicago to Chicago


r3020 wrote:

They are much tougher on crime. Once arrested they can be questioned for days without a lawyer and there is no trial by jury. Plus they have some of the most stringent immigration laws in the world. They keep the undesirable out. Our gun deaths are misleading. It includes those who kill in self defense. So when the young lady killed the intruder who broke into her home armed with a knife it goes into the gun death category when if she was unarmed it would go into the knife death category.


Shaking my head.

So many excuses all to try to hide the fact that more guns beget more gun deaths.

 

So Japan is harder on crime and yet the USA has one of the highest % prison populations in the world.

 

Why do you not see a correlation between lots of guns and lots of crime when you can see a correlation between crime and immigration?

You are trying to cherry pick your stats while ignoring those that go against your preconceived ideas.