cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: The 2015 Ollie Award!!!

@schnurrbart wrote:

3020 actually said that quote.  Obama only said the first 9 words.  What makes that quote notable is the fact that it is meant as a slam on the ACA but in reality, there is nothing in the ACA that says you can't keep your policy or your Dr for that matter BUT there also isn't anything in it that stops you insurance co.or your Dr. From dropping you.

@rawhide wrote:

How about the guy--I can't remember his name-- that said and I quote  "If you like your policy you can keep it, Period."

Remarks by the President to the Annual Conference of the American Medical Association

"So let me begin by saying this to you and to the American people: I know that there are millions of Americans who are content with their health care coverage -- they like their plan and, most importantly, they value their relationship with their doctor. They trust you. And that means that no matter how we reform health care, we will keep this promise to the American people: If you like your doctor, you will be able to keep your doctor, period. (Applause.) If you like your health care plan, you'll be able to keep your health care plan, period. (Applause.) No one will take it away, no matter what. "

Bart! You know so much that isn't so!

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Copying The 2015 Ollie Award!!!

I'll take that as a compliment. Copying is a sincere form of flattery. This is all in fun anyway and most folks are taking it that way.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

And you don't know so much that is so!  No one could take it away from you but the dr and the insurance companies could decide and did in many cases to drop people.  My interpretation of that statement is different that yours.  I take it that no 3rd party like the ACA could do anything but the two interested parties could.  I'll never convince you and you won't convince me.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I think he's talking about the Ollie that appears with Kukla and Fran. May indeed be the same guy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kukla,_Fran_and_Ollie

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Hahahahahahaha

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

@hardnox wrote:

Uncharacteristically, I'll demur in singling anyone out in particular and take on an issue instead.Regulars know the players anyway.

Radical climate science denial seems to be the most singular marker. It doesn't matter if consensus hit 99.9% on the matter because it doesn't have anything to do with facts one way or the other, it's about the war against the other tribe.

And regardless, the closest, cheapest, easiest to extract deposits of fossil fuels are severely depleted and sometime soon the second tier of resources is also going to peak.

We're heading toward a post-oil world anyway, the question is whether we try to get a little bit ahead of it. This (probably) last surge of nature's one time gift should be being spent on the replacements.

I'll continue to maintain that the conservative position is that we might want to leave some of that stuff for future generations. One way or the other we're going to burn vast amounts of the stuff even during an ideal transition. There is unique stuff they're going to need the remant for such as chemical feedstocks and agriculture, which is a fairly important human activity.

Peak oil.

Highlighted
Advisor

My ins. company took mine away and told me they had to due to obamacare laws.

Advisor

Re: Thorium!

I'm generally highly skeptical of most forms of techno grandiosity be it in energy, weaponry, whatever.

But sure, "we" ought to commission an independent commission to select several forms of promising energy sources and make recommendations about funding research on them. There are certinly any number that are more promising than celluosic ethanol which we do fund, directly and indirectly.

BTW, a decentralization away from the grid would be a very good thing although the utilities are one of the most influential players in the status quo and taking them on is no easy thing.

Also BTW, the Chinese are said to be ahead on thorium although I guess that like solar, maybe they'll sell it to us?

Highlighted
Advisor

We've talked to many people who have been jacked up since ACA went in. Obviously needs fixing.  What is confounding is that big insurance is fighting so hard  against Republicans in Congress who want to can it.

The truth is hanging out there somewhere.  Wondering if anyone will ever snag it. 

Highlighted
Advisor

One of the reasons why Romneycare worked in Mass was because it was already a community rated state so nobody got their previously preferential rating taken away.

I don't think that the proponents of ACA really thought about the few percent of folks with healthy families living in non-community rated states who were going to get rated with the general pool, and goes without saying that it is a no sale trying to point out the risks that were inherent in the bait and switch that insurers engaged in. Those are some of the most implacable haters of Obama and it isn't going to change. That demographic is highly overrepresented here.

I know people who were jacked up under that system- when somone in the family became uninsurable they waited out the premium increases as the companies squeezed all the people who were still insurable out. Then they could either go on the state high risk pool or somebody in the family got a job somewhere big enough that the could get insured.

I think the answer is pretty simple- permit anyone to buy into medicaid (which would actually improve the risk pool there) and if they're too proud to carry a medicaid card, they can stay in the ACA.