cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: The 2015 Ollie Award!!!

I'm one of those currently healthy people with a policy that got cancelled.  It still pisses me off.  No current health issues, no medications, always paid on time, have never even used up my annual deductible, ever.  Premiums got jacked up 50% each of past 2 years in a row because of the added required ACA coverages that I neither need nor use.  Then company decided to get out of the health care insurance business altogether, probably because of the ACA profit limitations.  This was Assurant Health, and they simply are cancellling all individually held policies, although they were trying to sell the group policies to other companies.  At at minimum, when a company decides to get out of the business, the entire book of business needs to go somewhere, even if the government becomes the insurer, they shouldn't be able to just cancel everyone's policies.

Just my opinion -- they should have considered the impact on healthy people that already had health insurance; or maybe they just need to go to a two-tier system altogether, Medicare or Medicaid, for everybody, politicians included, and no private health insurance.  Or, similar to ACA but forget the 'marketplace' thing, and just have a "national standard policy set" for which all the details, coverages, premium determinations and payouts are exactly the same regardless which company sells or services the policy, in addition to Medicare and Medicaid.

P.S.  Health insurance companies don't want a "national standard policy set" because it would level the playing field and open the door for new competition.  ACA supporters don't want it because it would overwrite or replace a huge chunk of that legislation and eliminate the need for the website marketplace.  Supporters of 'big government' dont want it because it would obviously reduce their role in the health care industry, which was only recently ratcheted up via the ACA.  Legislators don't want it because they would again be required to defend their own package deal from the government.  So, unless we just make the move to a national health care system, which won't happen anytime soon, then simply having and enforcing nationally standard policies, premiums and prices won't happen either, although most ACA-supporting people probably thought that was what the ACA was originally all about (in addition to the mandated coverage).

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

@schnurrbart wrote:

Your policy was canceled because the company didn't want to put the coverage in that would have made it compliant.  It would have cut down on their profit!

They put it a new much more expensive policy.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Thorium!

Funny how just a simple internet search can change "facts" like that.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Didn't the ACA only allow a 20% profit above overhead? Could have been a lower amount, but I thought I remembered that. My policy was more or less compliant before ACA, so there wasn't much change for me - just more co pay and co insurance, but if I don't get sick, that doesn't matter.

Policies need to be able to cross state lines and we need to reform the whole system, but as long as the insurance companies and medical industries have undue influence of Congress, nothing will be done except to charge us more. There's a reason the Republican congress has not acted and it has to do with influence.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: We have the worlds largest solar collector

Geo-thermal was gaining favorin the early part of the century but that was in Illinois.  Haven't heard much about it lately.  Seemed like a win win to me.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: We have the worlds largest solar collector

My brother inlaw installed a geothermal system along with solar panels and heats and cools his home and his business facilities. The only thing lacking is adequate storage batteries to power things in the dark. His children are involved in the business and will benefit far into the future for his foresight.

Here in Tulsa I've seen a housing development advertising available Geo thermal hook up for heating and cooling. Don't know where in the city it is located.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

The policies excluded had little to no value. Government cannot subsidize inadequate policies. Slavery is not legal in the US. Doctors and hospitals cannot be forced to accept your crappola insurance contract. It's as imple as that.

BTW The affordable care act is not raising your health insurance premiums. It's the same greedy bastards that occupy those insurance towers in our major cities. Don'tblame me. It's you nimrods that insisted on insurance company involvement.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

@OKdon wrote:

BTW The affordable care act is not raising your health insurance premiums. It's the same greedy bastards that occupy those insurance towers in our major cities. Don'tblame me. It's you nimrods that insisted on insurance company involvement.

Hands down the award winner.