cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Obvious that neither of you read it

It would do nothing.  The cost of living would automatically go up by however much they handed out.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Actually it's a good deal

BA and Red swear that the unemployed are already elgible for $60K or $70K of government benefits if you add it all together. They will never agree to it because bammy would have a balanced budget.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Actually it's a good deal

Did you fail simple English reading in school?

Or was that supposed to be just another exhibit of being "shifty"?

Comparing the situation of a single parent with $15000 of earned income, and all the govt benefits that go with a low income, and kids, in America  to another single parent earning $60,000 , paying taxes on that income, payer health insurance, extra day care,  extra travel, not getting the EIC, etc is not saying that the low income person "gets" $60,000.

It does show the powerful disencentive to get out of poverty, make a living wage, and find out that you are no better off that the person that works the weekend shift and gets all the benefits.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

These clowns are too obtuse to recognize that, Sam.

Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Math

Speaking of strawstacks, I don't think the "proposal" (as impractical as it is) suggests that everybody gets $30,000.

Therefore, ditto to the assertion that it would equalize in the cost of living. Actually far from sure that price increases would be proportional even if it was universal.

Probably more likely to see it flow into certain bubble sectors. Probably would be a huge windfall to landlords and some others who happened to be positioned in the right way.

Since I'm only a few years from getting my own free checks from the gubmint don't think I'd quit working anyway. Actually come to think of it and looking back to my halcyon days on the top 10 of the county EWG database I've been doing it for a long time. Or more accurately acting as the conduit to the landlords.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

@hardnox wrote:

Speaking of strawstacks, I don't think the "proposal" (as impractical as it is) suggests that everybody gets $30,000.

Therefore, ditto to the assertion that it would equalize in the cost of living. Actually far from sure that price increases would be proportional even if it was universal.

Probably more likely to see it flow into certain bubble sectors. Probably would be a huge windfall to landlords and some others who happened to be positioned in the right way.

Since I'm only a few years from getting my own free checks from the gubmint don't think I'd quit working anyway. Actually come to think of it and looking back to my halcyon days on the top 10 of the county EWG database I've been doing it for a long time. Or more accurately acting as the conduit to the landlords.

Why does anyone even contemplate handing out money that is not their own?

Highlighted
Advisor

Other than Don/'s tongue in cheek and 30's repostig of his sarcasm I don't see where anybody who responded endorsed it or didn't see clear through it.  My intenetion in posting it was to see if aybody recognized this phenomena of organized, come institutional narcissism.

Highlighted
Advisor

Most likely.  Or get worse, relatively anyhow.

I hadn't sen that this had been address by the venerable Ms. Smith at nakedcapitalism (not the publication you said it was some time ago Sam--it comes in from all directions). I'd seen it at Drudge.com

As seh says to those who are being titilated by this proposal.."be careful what you wish for"

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2015/01/tech-titans-promoting-basic-income-guarantee-way-shrink-gover...

Highlighted
Advisor

30....."Why does anyone even contemplate handing out money that is not their own?"

Yeah....why?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/sheerafrenkel/meet-the-american-families-bankrolling-netanyahus#.gd0RA15GVD

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

@bruce MN wrote:

30....."Why does anyone even contemplate handing out money that is not their own?"

Yeah....why?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/sheerafrenkel/meet-the-american-families-bankrolling-netanyahus#.gd0RA15GVD

Who's money they handing out?