cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

The American Security State

Which president said this:

"The very word "secrecy" is repugnant in a free and open society; and we are as a people inherently and historically opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths and secret proceedings. We decided long ago that the dangers of excessive and unwarranted concealment of pertinent facts far outweighed the dangers which are cited to justify it. Even today, there is little value in opposing the threat of a closed society by imitating its arbitrary restrictions. Even today, there is little value in insuring the survival of our nation if our traditions do not survive with it. And there is very grave danger that an announced need for increased security will be seized upon those anxious to expand its meaning to the very limits of official censorship and concealment. That I do not intend to permit to the extent that it is in my control. And no official of my Administration, whether his rank is high or low, civilian or military, should interpret my words here tonight as an excuse to censor the news, to stifle dissent, to cover up our mistakes or to withhold from the press and the public the facts they deserve to know.

For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy that relies on covert means for expanding its sphere of influence--on infiltration instead of invasion, on subversion instead of elections, on intimidation instead of free choice, on guerrillas by night instead of armies by day. It is a system which has conscripted vast human and material resources into the building of a tightly knit, highly efficient machine that combines military, diplomatic, intelligence, economic, scientific and political operations.

Its preparations are concealed, not published. Its mistakes are buried not headlined. Its dissenters are silenced, not praised. No expenditure is questioned, no rumor is printed, no secret is revealed."

33 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: The American Security State

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2013/07/20137219444944985.html

Does ALjazeera have a clearer perspective of contemporary American politics that we do?

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Yes, I hear 0bama and Boehner are "meeting behind closed doors" today.  Now Boehner says that he "trusts 0bama"  If Boehner trusts 0bama then I don`t trust Boehner.  0bama ran on being transparent and here we are 6 years later and 0bama has more secrets than Tricky Dlck and Bubba Clinton put together...and the House leader is meeting behind closed doors???   It`s time for a new House leader!

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

We need Americans that have the courage that we see around the world....an army to rally around the Pauls to protect them from assasination so that we can get back to being a free people.

Outside of the Pauls, who is an honest player in America anymore?

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

I hear exactly what you`re saying Red, the trouble that I see is a demographic, we have 40%-50% that simply will not vote for anyone other than a Democrat..period, especially the "old dog" Democrats, even if their party is exposed as rotten as hell, they are hypnotized into  believing that the "Democrats are better than anything else and Mitt Romney ...or Ron Paul is dangerous"...yeah I supose for someone with their nose stuck in the slop trough, a Ron Paul would be "dangerous".

Also the electorate today is impatient, a good guy or Lady would need at least a 60% co-operation for a solid 8 years to get us out of this mess. Some of the answers that would bring this country back might involve 3 or 4 quarters of a flatline economy in other words a recession or 2 on the road to healing.  Ron Paul talked about cutting the budget $1 Trillion his first year, you and I could both go for that, but I doubt that anyone who`s voted Democrat in the last 5 years would have that resolve.

My hope is Generation Z  http://business.time.com/2014/02/12/coming-soon-to-your-office-gen-z/ 

Generation Z is 45 million, about half of the selfish generation Y.  Each generation rebells against the previous generation and it`s about time that a more problem solving, libertarian group comes along that has been trained to think critically and say "Well, WHY AREN`T WE DOING IT THIS WAY???"" and challenge the status-quo.  I see this generation each day and I would rate them on par if not above the WWII generation. 

I think that Ron Paul really appeals to Gen Z.

Highlighted
Advisor

the answer to your question is protected by executive privilege.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I am pleased we have moved on from those conspiracy theories. They could have corrupted rational thought from our senior contributors and we don't want that do we?
Highlighted
Advisor

AJZ has been as good a place as there is for fact based, unbiased coverage for some time.  Their evening TV news program is exceptional.

Interesting to see you giving props to Conell West for his disdain for the permantent government, which is  what is in reality being reported upon, quite fairly btw, here. Obama on matters determined by it undoubltedly same old, same old.  Same on banksters as on energy as on imperial conquest.  No choice.  Just, as the old saying goes, maybe a cuter if not only "diffferent way of getting off and on". Same result for the parties on the bottom.

The absurdity and full blown craziness in your post lies in that If the current administration had done what Mr. West would have proposed (correctly, I would predict) you on exceptionalist,  neocon, get the boogie man side would have ripped it to shreds.  as Former Presidetn Cheney is doing in his quest to discredit the Hagel recoomendations, calling upon good old reliable cold warriors, right thinking Christians, Zionists and neocons everywhere to stand up for the Red White and Blue and our unspoken but presumed by all good people imperialist aims.

What self serving hypocritical  joke you are.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

The guy who said "gentlemen don't read other gentlemen's mail"?
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Red Steele Advisor
Feb 25
We need Americans that have the courage that we see around the world....an army to rally around the Pauls to protect them from assasination so that we can get back to being a free people.

What part of your life is not free? Surely you are still not sulking over the election or preparing for the hordes of communists taking over the country. Huh?