cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: The Arizona bill - Sam

@KNAPPer wrote:

Do I guess correctly then that you feel any business should have the right to refuse service to anyone for anything, be it the color of their skin, their religion, their sex, their country of origin or their politics, whether rthey have ever been divorced or not, their sexual orientation, etc., etc - whatever one dreams or imagines to ban from their property....?

Is that about right? Feel free to correct me because I certainly do not want to speak for you. I just want you to be clear. You are of course entitled, in this great nation, to your opinion.

Isn't that kind of like not let chick fil a build a restaurant in a town because of their stance on traditional marriage?

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Not at all. Chick Fillet, or Hobby Lobby can build where they can get a building permit because there are no questions asked about their stance on traditional marriage (and any other religious beliefs) in the permit and city governments can't discriminate, but private business can. Chick Fillet, Hobby Lobby or whoever could refuse to serve anyone they wish based on religious beliefs of the company...in Arizona under this law.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

@KNAPPer wrote:

Not at all. Chick Fillet, or Hobby Lobby can build where they can get a building permit because there are no questions asked about their stance on traditional marriage (and any other religious beliefs) in the permit and city governments can't discriminate, but private business can. Chick Fillet, Hobby Lobby or whoever could refuse to serve anyone they wish based on religious beliefs of the company...in Arizona under this law.

snip-

Emory University in Atlanta, Ga., has decided to remove Chick-fil-A from the campus food court. This development comes after the university’s gay and lesbian community intensely protested the restaurant’s presence in the wake of CEO Dan Cathy’s comments last year about same-sex marriage.

A recent tweet sent from the Emory Wheel’s official account (an independent student newspaper on campus) confirms that Chick-fil-A will no longer be a part of the campus’ fast-food offerings. The outlet’s message read, “Chick-fil-a to be removed from Cox Hall this Summer as part of FACE’s new Cox Hall layout.”

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/03/12/prominent-university-boots-chick-fil-a-off-campus-is-it-b...

They can have a permit in Chicago, IF they do as told.

snip-

A Chicago alderman says Chick-fil-A's president is publicly contradicting what company executives personally assured him for months -- that the fast-food chain is changing its stance on gay marriage -- and he asked the company Sunday to clarify.

Alderman Joe Moreno made news last week when he announced Chick-fil-A has ceased making donations to anti-gay groups and has enacted workplace protections for its employees against discrimination.

Moreno said the two concessions were the result of 10 months of negotiations he had with Chick-fil-A executives as he weighed whether to support a new Chick-fil-A restaurant in his Chicago ward. He said the executives gave him documents backing up the new positions.

Chick-fil-A, in a statement Thursday, affirmed the workplace protections. Friday, however, company President Dan Cathy denied the company has ceased making donations to groups that oppose gay marriage and said Chick-fil-A "made no such concessions."

"There continues to be erroneous implications in the media that Chick-fil-A changed our practices and priorities in order to obtain permission for a new restaurant in Chicago," Cathy said in a statement to Mike Huckabee, the former Republican presidential candidate who now runs a conservative website. "That is incorrect."

Moreno said Sunday that Cathy's statement "at the least, muddied the progress we had made with Chick-fil-A and, at the worst, contradicted the documents and promises Chick-fil-A made to me and the community earlier this month."

Moreno said Chick-fil-A executives gave him a letter earlier this year saying the company's non-profit arm, the WinShape Foundation, will not support organizations with political agendas. "We were told that these organizations included groups that politically work against the rights of gay and lesbian people," Moreno said.

He said the executives confirmed to him that both the foundation and the company in 2012 has not given money and will not give money to those groups.

Cathy's conflicting statement, Moreno said Sunday, is "disturbing."

http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/23/us/chick-fil-a-controversy/

Highlighted
Advisor

Yes, that is correct.  I may not agree that it would be wise, or fair, but I think I explained why.  

Do you believe in the principals I outlined?

Do you believe not just the private sector, but the public sector should descriminate based on criteria of its choosing?

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: The Arizona bill.

My example said the president. Doesn't make any difference if he thinks you are sincere or not. Your butt is going to jail or to a pine box!
Highlighted
Advisor

It shouldn't matter. Does the president have more right not to be killed than you?
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

I don't believe denying a business a building permit or closing them down in a location is discrimination. This is done BECAUSE they discriminated against a group of people. Same thing with firing someone because they are gay or old or black. If the Gov signs this bill, then those things will be legal!
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

@schnurrbart wrote:
I don't believe denying a business a building permit or closing them down in a location is discrimination. This is done BECAUSE they discriminated against a group of people. Same thing with firing someone because they are gay or old or black. If the Gov signs this bill, then those things will be legal!

Do they ask people their sexual orientation before they serve them? Is there a sign in the window that says no gays allowed? They were denied a permit because of political views.

If  the govenment can force you to bake a cake for someone it can also force you to read and obey a koran.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Shouldn't, couldn't or wouldn't. Does make a difference. You can't threaten the president of the United States!
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

How is that going to be received with the military? Do they ask them if they are gay or do they have any biases because of their religion?