cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

Re: The way I see it

Canuck, in many of the cases the people are dead. In many more cases the statue of limitation has expired. And in many cases the offeders are in jail. The Catholic Church has paid billions to the victims, removed enablers from power, and have completely changed the way they train and screen new priest. Nothing will ever make a victim whole again, but to say the Church has moved on and forgotten about it is not so.

Senior Contributor

@r3020 wrote:

Canuck, in many of the cases the people are dead. In many more cases the statue of limitation has expired. And in many cases the offeders are in jail. The Catholic Church has paid billions to the victims, removed enablers from power, and have completely changed the way they train and screen new priest. Nothing will ever make a victim whole again, but to say the Church has moved on and forgotten about it is not so.

It was not me saying it.

It was a spokesman for the Catholic League.

Many of those victims will need help for the rest of their lives.

What was the sign in the China Shop?

You broke it you pay for it.

Senior Advisor

@Canuck_2 wrote:

@r3020 wrote:

It was not me saying it.

It was a spokesman for the Catholic League.

Many of those victims will need help for the rest of their lives.

What was the sign in the China Shop?

You broke it you pay for it.

Well the fact is the Church has not just moved on. They have paid nearly a billion dollars to the victims, hopefully that will be enough for them the get the counseling they need and deserve.

This is not a criticism of other churches or an endorsement of any, merely a statement about what I have observed about institutional control in my own church.

In recent years past when I was in a position to know something about these things, I'm virtually certain that in the N. IN conference of the United Methodist Church all matters of sexual misbehavior were dealt with swiftly and harshly. That would be at least when Woodie White was bishop although I have no reason to believe anything has changed.

People being people I know that the full range of sexual misbehavior has occured involving both clergy and key laypersons. It is simply a question of how decisively the institution deals with it.

Like law in general, I don't know how much deterrent force the knowledge of consequences carries. For some who are merely thinking about jumping the appealing and vulnerable wife they are counseling, probably a great deal. For predatory pedophiles who have managed to insinuate themselves into position, probably little or none. But you just remove them and let the law take its course.

I'm also comfortable in my belief that the Catholic Church now does likewise although it will take a long time for the stain of the monumental failure goes away.

Veteran Advisor

The Bible teaches forgiveness of the Sinner (for his soul) not the Sin.
When Jesus was on the cross, one of the criminals next to him said, and I'm paraphrasing here as I am too lazy to look up the exact quote: 'We (referring to himself and the other criminal) are getting what we deserved, but this man (meaning Jesus) had committed no crime'  He then asked Jesus for forgiveness, and Jesus replied that there was a place for him in heaven.

Note that Jesus didn't say it was wrong to punish him, and he still recieved the penalty the courts doled out to him, but his SOUL was forgiven, and allowed into heaven.

Hope this clears things up a little.

Veteran Advisor

Re: The Catholic League's opinion of sexual abuse victims

@Canuck_2 wrote:

@BA Deere wrote:

See Canuck, if we actually followed Biblical Laws those "priests" would be swinging by the neck on a short rope.  On a radio show there was a story of a wrestling team sodomizing a teammate that didn`t make his weight class.  Now that was a criminal act and should be punished as such.  The namby pamby media is trying to minimumize it a "bullying" or "hazing" ..Nope that is a criminal act and juvenile detention should be sentenced to the rapists, or if I was in charge remove them from the gene pool.

I do not believe killing anyone is an answer or a punishment that will get any results except vengence which is not a help.

It is not 'vengence' so much as guaranteeing that the criminal never harms anyone, ever again.

Do not think the media has been hiding this but many institutions including churches did hide it for years.

I think some of the people responsible for hiding it should suffer a little punishment too.

if you helped a bank robber get away or hide you would be punished.

Sounds reasonable, I think that it is a decent person's duty to protect the innocent, and help see to it the guilty are brought to justice.

Senior Advisor

Re: Sueing a church is a frivolous lawsuit

The punitive damages claim should be limited to $1. Afer all sodomizing my kid is no worse than a gross mistake in the operating room.

That is the hazard of limiting awards in civil cases. One does not know how egregous the misbehavior is until the evidense is presented in a court of law. Same way as you guys wanting to hang Jon Corzine before you hear the evidense and before the evidense is challenged in a court of law.

Advisor

None of that was in the movie. 

Have a good weekend don.  Grandkids are coming for a couple of days here.  The 7 year old's Mom says he walked past the tube he saw and heard Romney and said he sounded good to him, so I've got some hay down.

Senior Advisor

That is terrible. When the fruit of our loins joins the other side it is the ultimate insult. Have you considered disinheriting him?