cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: The Dakota 38

I kind of have some sympathy for the German people.  Because let`s say that you were a citizen back then, your friends and neighbors democratically elect a maniacal dictator and they are shouting "seig heil seig heil!" the country has gone nuts...maybe only half the country believes Hitler, but the other half is scared too death.  When your country is taken over at the ballot box there isn`t much you can do ....run a candidate against Hitler???

You perhaps work with the underground fighting secretly on the allied side...then one day Germany is "liberated" and this is how your family is treated.  http://www.ihr.org/jhr/v10/v10p161_Brech.html 

That is one of many accounts of the brutality against the German citizens after WWII, many of them were damned if they did and damned if they didn`t.  I hope not, but we may very well find out what they exactly went through.  I guess the old Indian saying of "Walk a mile in another man`s moccasins before you pass judgement"  kind of applies.

KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

I think it would actually help to understand the real historic timeline of the Dakota Wars: http://www.usdakotawar.org/timeline

Sam is correct in his assessment and I am shocked that several folks here are defending a government cheating people out of their land, moving the Indians to a reservation and then halfing the size of that reservation, then the government gives away the land they stole from the Indians to white people for free - all the while getting the Indians dependent on government welfare and then denying the delivery of that welfare. And when the Indians revolt, the government acts suprised, goes to war, captures everyone and puts them in a concentration camp and kills 38 of them to make an example. After that a law was passed that no Dakota could even live in the state - taking everything once and for all to this day.

And that's not really anywhere near the whole story but if you take away people's means to make a living and make them live on welfare and not do a good job of providing that, there will be trouble.

r3020
Senior Advisor

@Samnospam wrote:

Certainly.   The Iroquois exterminated the Erie.   But the victor needs to show some understanding, compassion and humility.   Regret maybe too.   Someday someone else's drones may be more powerful than yours and karma might bite you in the ass.

It won't be karma, we will be killed because we are weak.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

So what happens to a family living out on the prairie doesn`t matter squat?   Knapper, I don`t think you understand the methods that Indians use in killing people.  A settler family shouldn`t be massacred because of what the federal or state government does or does not do. 

http://minnesotaghosts.com/index.php/library/mnhistory/82-the-sioux-uprising-of-1862 

Just because "Honest Abe" screwed the Indians over on a land deal doesn`t give a bunch of crazy liquored up Indians the right to burn down a family`s cabin, scalp the old man, rape the wife and kidnap the daughter.

KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

I understand more about American Indian history than you will ever know. Did I say the Dakota were not hostile? I am somewhat confused how you would not be sympathetic towards a hard-working self-sufficient group of people that had their livelihood taken away from them and were forced to become hooked on government welfare and then that was not delivered as promised on paper. Would that make you hostile?

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

What part of "it began...with 4 Dakota massacred 5 settlers..." over a basket of eggs, don`t you understand???   In my book, those that "massacre" are "hostle".    I can not condone the sneak attack of a settler`s cabin, if the Indians attacked a fort, I could maybe show them some sympathy.

Samnospam
Advisor

that's why we are at war, because the other side is weak?
r3020
Senior Advisor

@Samnospam wrote:
that's why we are at war, because the other side is weak?

Did Japan attack Pearl Harbor because they knew they would lose?

Samnospam
Advisor

It wasn't because the USA was weak, ironically its because they were sure the USA was a threat.
r3020
Senior Advisor

@Samnospam wrote:
It wasn't because the USA was weak, ironically its because they were sure the USA was a threat.

They knew the US was a threat but viewed them as a threat that could be defeated.