cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

The Missle Option...Why wasn't it used immediately?

Almost immediately after the leak became public knowledge, someone (not here)  posted their view that a simple missle would stop the leak. If we cannot shoot a missle at a fixed spot with all the time in the world to prepare for it, to move ships out of the area, then our missles really would seem pretty useless for war.

The Associated Press put out an answer to this question, saying that a large amount of methane gas comes out of the leak, and an explosion might occur, or a large bubble might rise to the surface....but if the gulf was cleared out...what harm would it have caused?

It is pretty evident that the large mutlinational corporations run things, just like that nutcase in the movie Network proclaimed. We have government by the Multinationals, from the Mutlitnationals, and for the Mutlinationals. Heaven forbid that a working oil well would have been ruined.

6 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: The Missle Option...Why wasn't it used immediately?

What happens if it cracks the entire seabed open and gazillions of barrels of crude is blown up to the surface?
Can't put the egg back in the shell after that!
Veteran Advisor

The oil isnt that close to the surface, right? I read that after going 5000 feet through the sea, they still have to bore another 20,000 feet to reach oil. My guess is that the worry was that they would close down too much oil production .

And I am not talking about dropping Fat Boy and Little guy on the leak...you would use an appropriately sized explosive.

Advisor

The Russians have done this a few times and actually, one they did deploy was as big as those.

But I believe from what I read it was always in rock. I'm guessing that this mud and muck that lies on top of this field is different and makes Craig's concern real.

Apparantly  alot of that sand on the bottom has increased in deposition dramatically since mass settlement and cultivation began in the upper Mississippi.

Senior Advisor

Re: Craig is right, gag gag.

And explosive device may well fracture subsuface and create many fissures from which the crude and gas may escape in much higher volumes.

Not a good idea according to my oilman acquaintence. There would be no way to control such a release at a depth of one mile under water

Advisor

Well, it wouldn't be a missle.  They'd have to drill another well basically to position the nuke directly adjacent to the original well deep enough so that it is in solid rock formations.  Solid rock is very deep, under thousands of feet of sediment and thousands more of salt deposits.  The nuke would liquify the rock just enough to weld the well shut. 

Probably not necessary, relief wells have a pretty good track record from what I understand.

Senior Advisor

The Russian did it but that was a much shallower well. The idea is to crack the rocks releasing the pussure under ground. This well is too deep for that to work.