cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

The Moral Compass

it seems like everytime a new story hits the airwaves involving any type of moral judgement, right or wrong, black or white, you can almost draw out to a man or woman what side of the abyss they will line up on.

http://news.yahoo.com/teacher-student-relationship-confronted-teens-mom-dr-phil-225822936--abc-news....

THis is a tenured union guy so I know how the peanut and popcorn  throwing section will line up.

18 Replies
bruce MN
Advisor

Re: The Moral Compass

What would either his status of tenure or his membership in a union have to do with anything   He doesn't need tenure and doesn't need membership in a teacher's union because he's NOT A TEACHER NOW.

And the  Mom even says that she wishes that the cops and the legal folks would come up with something just as you and I both would.  At least she understands that.  If there is evidence that he broke some law he should be charged and prosecuted.  The current  setup between between the man and the young single woman is obviously legal.

The line between Dr. Phil and Jerry Springer has alwys been too fine for me to be able to detect. 

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Re: The last straw

Gasp! The guy was a union man! 

cotman03
Senior Contributor

Gosh I agree with you?

A union teacher who cares for his student....who would have thought?  This one really cares for the welfare and well-being of one of his students.  What a turd.

Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

Bruce, lets use some conjecture here....Lets say that Bruce Farmer/school board president has this guy still teaching, living with the student or even legally wed to her after the hanky panky...how does Bruce handle it?

Obviously "Sargent Schultz" is going to say "well, the cops and courts have not proved a blankettblankety thing", but for the sake of argument , let's be grownups here and forget about Mr. Schultz. Lets say that other teachers and students saw the girl sitting on his lap while still a student and a minor, and also kissing him, right in the school . Lets say that everyone knows the score.

How do you handle this one with the current tenure system and unions?

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

You take the student and the witnesses to the county attorney and ask him to deal with it. If it is an adult man and an adult woman after she has graduated, you mind your own business. Or is there something illegal about an age difference in marriages.  My dad was 34 and my mother 19 when they married. He died when he was 79 and my mother is still alive at age 96.

hardnox604008
Advisor

Neither here nor there but not too long ago a friend and I were talking about lecherous behavior and I recalled the following.

The first winter after college I was home farming and my future wife was 1000 miles away working her first job and we were in contact but had generally agreed that we were not certain that we had a future.

I applied as a substitute teacher in a couple different school systems primarily because teachers are one of the few sources of new female blood in rural communities. I guess it isn't surprising that some of the older HS girls showed some interest in a young guy just out of college.

I gotta tell you, I don't think that my reaction was necessarily moral in nature as it is one of self respect- one of those girls could have been a goddess and the last woman on earth and I wouldn't have touched her with a ten foot pole because I regarded guys who would as low lifes.

Interestingly, the one date with a young teacher that I got out out of that experience revealed that she was rather bitter toward one of the young male teachers who she had dated briefly and she didn't fill in all the details but I later learned that he was having an affair with one of the senior girls.

Anyway, shortly after my wife got transferred to Chicago and we began seeing more of each other and got married a couple of years later. As my father used to say, propinquity compensates for a lack of charm.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Re: Gosh I agree with you?

You are making a very strong judgement when you don't know either of them and have info basically from the girl's mother.  Why wait a little before thoroughly castrating this guy.  It could be the girl is the strong pusher and he is weak.  Who knows??  It doesn't appear that he is forcing her to do anything.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

I spent a lot of time subbing in Mesa when I first came out here.  Most of that time was in an Alternative School which was the kids' last chance before reform school or jail.  I had to break up many fights and we had a Mesa patrolman stationed there.  You never knew what the kids would come up with.  That was one of the biggest reasons I quit doing it.  You just never knew when one of these characters would accuse you of something.  $80 a day wasn't enough money for that!

Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

Yes, it has nothing to do with the relative ages as it does with a person in a position of trust, like a father figure, betraying that trust and taking advantage of the situation. And a teenager is going to be impressed pretty easily, too, and probably live to regret their impressionable youth. I imagine virtually every town has their share of teachers preying on students, and so many take the easy way out of not firing them as all of this is hard to prove with uncooperative witnesses fearing retaliation or scandel.

I personally know of three instances locally that make this case look pretty benign.

I guess if you are the teacher or any employee that is wrongly acused, you are not going to want to get fired without cause. But if you have decent job skills and a good work ethic, you should always be able to find employment. Life is not always fair. Unions are a crutch for those that don't really believe in their own worth.

I know that the last thing I want any of my offspring to aspire to be is to be a card carrying union member. I think too highly of them.