wehav
Senior Contributor

gto or what ever you think you are

" I can hardly read it!"

Because you went to a public school.

KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

Re: gto or what ever you think you are

At least you haven't wasted your time then, right? By the way, I have noted that you have been AWOL for a while, glad you're back. You still need to find your love for teachers though.

If you want to know more about how I am exactly like GTO, read my reply to Sam below. It's probably somewher on the bottom by now.

Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

Re: The Real Motivation Behind Private School Vouchers

Better try again, Goat. You know where the edit button is.

What a great advertisement for the public fool system!

GreaTOne_65
Senior Contributor

Oh, my god. You are to stupid for words.

GreaTOne_65
Senior Contributor

Re: gto or what ever you think you are

You finally got something right, wewe. One thing is certain, you really need help, and not the educational kind, the head kind.

KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

I wouldn't call anyone stupid (barring one who shall remain nameless), but I will say that 3020's line sounded like a child repeating something he has no real knowledge about that was taught to him by horribly misinformed parents.

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

The way I understand it, a voucher system would let parents decide which school their kids go to, within certain limits.  What is wrong with that?   What parent would not want to send their kid to the best school they can?  
Or, look at it this way.   Say a kid was being picked on at school, for whatever reason, and the school is being innefective at stopping it.   The parents could take this kid, to a different school, where maybe this wouldn't happen.

Ditto, if a teacher was teaching subjects the parents thought were inappropriate.

One last thought.   In my poking around the web, I find mixed results where charter schools are anywhere from 'about the same' to 'much better' than public schools.   In no district, could I find that the charter or private schools had on average, worse education results than the public schools.

If they can do this, with less money than public schools, while at the same time making great profits (if the article is correct), what does that tell us about the efficiency, or rather, lack of efficiency and cost-effectiveness, of the public schools in the area?

If we were talking about mechanics, for example, who would defend the mechanic that charges more than any others, while not doing a better job fixing your tractor?   Would you keep going to them, or look around, who can do similar work, for less?

Conversely, if someone opened a new shop in town, and did work that was as good or better than anyone else, and charged 10-50% less, would you want them to have to shut down their business, because it might harm the other shops around, that charge more?
As far as I know, the voucher system, is only about choice.   There is nothing that says you can't keep your kids in whatever public school you want, if you think they are doing the right thing.   Some say that the public schools are the 'best' place to give kids an education.   If that is true, why are they worried about the competition?

Samnospam
Advisor

3020 is closer to the truth than you know.   I've posted it here before and I'm sure you've all ignored it because you don't want to know, but john Taylor gatto's 'underground history of education in America'  will fill you in as to why and how education got to where it is.  Google it you can read it free online.  Until you have I wouldn't assume anyone else is misinformed.

KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

I can't but it as fact that our government, apparently through all the administrations since the 60s when they began tinkering with education, has made it a goal to keep children underducated in order to form loyal voting pools. Weren't some of those administrations and legislatures Republican? I will say education is broken and needs to be completely reformed, but I won't agree that how things have turned out have been any sort of vast coorinated conspiracy to keep people uneducated, loyal, stupid and happy, much like slavery in the 18th and 19th century. We won't agree on that.

Samnospam
Advisor

I should mention that the government schools have some serious cost burdens put upon them by.the politicians in DC. there are several kids in our elementary that have full time employees assigned to just one individual kid. Some of these kids benefit from being in the school, but there are a few that there is just nothing the school can do for them.   It sounds cruel to say but our school has one kid who is just not functional and trying to keep him in a class with a bunch of kids learning their 3rs isn't helping anyone but the parents who would otherwise have to be providing the care those 6 hours.