cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
roarintiger1
Honored Advisor

Re: The Trade War

Simply put........China needs to buy more of our products to even out the scorecard.  If they refuse to do this, the U.S. has no choice but to make it harder on them in some way.   Not sure this is the right way, but the Chinese need to get the message that we are not going to bend over as in the past.   

jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

Purchases will be made from those that have the quality, at the better price. Period. Even farmers won’t buy from US farmers, if they can get the commodity for 10 cents less somewhere else.

You tax Chinese steel coming in, and the will tax US farm products going the other way. I know it - you know it. And markets lost - as you also know - take a long time to get back.

Tick Tock.....BOBGx10!!!!!!!!!!

Jen
k-289
Senior Advisor

Simply  put  -  has  to  - see how that works out ?  As stated before we could  trade every bushel we have to China - (2017  $228 billion deficit)  NOW What  ? in some way ?  $228,000,000,000. oo  divided by $4. oo/ bu. = 57,000,000,000 bushel corn --?  

gurly3801539
Advisor

Canuck, your link cites Balance of Payments Basis which is not the same as Balance of Trade.

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

It also points out that the US has a 'net trade surplus' with Canada and the United Kingdom.

A lot of figures but the bottom line is more $ flowing into the US than into Canada.

Then there are the economic arguments that a trade deficit is actually good for an economy.

gurly3801539
Advisor

I agree dollars flowing in can be a good deal. If the people of Canada want to invest in and hold assets in the US, I'm good with that.  I am simply pointing out that the 'net trade surplus' on a balance of payments basis is not the same as balanced trade. I am not supporting nor defending Trump, or saying he doesn't lie,but this thread is about trade.

ihmarty543282
Senior Contributor

are we doomed?

We appreciate your concern for us.......chicken little.....

jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

I’d just keep on producing to the max, IH. I’m sue no one will notice when our surplus grain doubles again.

Just don’t be the one without the chair, when the music stops, and you’ll be fine, fine, fine...

Tick Tock.....BONGx10!!!!!!!!!!

Jen
cmilligan1958g
Senior Contributor

In overnight trading, China purchased 198,000 metric tons of soybeans. 

Argentina is in a crippling drought. 

There are only so much food produced in the world, and the population just keeps on growing. 

Your "Sky is falling " screed to cripple your political enemies is wearing thin. So thin, actually, that most folks can see right through it. 

cmilligan1958g
Senior Contributor

The government can take the tariff money from Chinese steel dumping and use it to guarantee price support for farmers. 

A win, all the way around.