cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
naidrocsiD
Frequent Contributor

The Truth will set you free... or kill you.

"The very word "secrecy" is repugnant in a free and open society; and we are as a people inherently and historically opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths and secret proceedings. We decided long ago that the dangers of excessive and unwarranted concealment of pertinent facts far outweighed the dangers which are cited to justify it. Even today, there is little value in opposing the threat of a closed society by imitating its arbitrary restrictions. Even today, there is little value in insuring the survival of our nation if our traditions do not survive with it. And there is very grave danger that an announced need for increased security will be seized upon those anxious to expand its meaning to the very limits of official censorship and concealment. That I do not intend to permit to the extent that it is in my control. And no official of my Administration, whether his rank is high or low, civilian or military, should interpret my words here tonight as an excuse to censor the news, to stifle dissent, to cover up our mistakes or to withhold from the press and the public the facts they deserve to know."

"For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy that relies on covert means for expanding its sphere of influence--on infiltration instead of invasion, on subversion instead of elections, on intimidation instead of free choice, on guerrillas by night instead of armies by day. It is a system which has conscripted vast human and material resources into the building of a tightly knit, highly efficient machine that combines military, diplomatic, intelligence, economic, scientific and political operations.

Its preparations are concealed, not published. Its mistakes are buried not headlined. Its dissenters are silenced, not praised. No expenditure is questioned, no rumor is printed, no secret is revealed."

"No President should fear public scrutinity of his program. For from that scrutiny comes understanding; and from that understanding comes support or opposition. And both are necessary. I am not asking your newspapers to support the Administration, but I am asking your help in the tremendous task of informing and alerting the American people. For I have complete confidence in the response and dedication of our citizens whenever they are fully informed.

I not only could not stifle controversy among your readers-- I welcome it. This Administration intends to be candid about its errors; for as a wise man once said: "An error does not become a mistake until you refuse to correct it." We intend to accept full responsibility for our errors; and we expect you to point them out when we miss them.Without debate, without criticism, no Administration and no country can succeed-- and no republic can survive. That is why the Athenian lawmaker Solon decreed it a crime for any citizen to shrink from controversy. And that is why our press was protected by the First (emphasized) Amendment-- the only business in America specifically protected by the Constitution-- not primarily to amuse and entertain, not to emphasize the trivial and sentimental, not to simply "give the public what it wants"--but to inform, to arouse, to reflect, to state our dangers and our opportunities, to indicate our crises and our choices, to lead, mold educate and sometimes even anger public opinion.

This means greater coverage and analysis of international news-- for it is no longer far away and foreign but close at hand and local. It means greater attention to improved understanding of the news as well as improved transmission. And it means, finally, that government at all levels, must meet its obligation to provide you with the fullest possible information outside the narrowest limits of national security...
"

"And so it is to the printing press--to the recorder of mans deeds, the keeper of his conscience, the courier of his news-- that we look for strength and assistance, confident that with your help man will be what he was born to be: free and independent."

JFK 

Fox and CNN would rather cover Brittney Spears... It's safer and cheaper... 

8 Replies
verbatime
Senior Contributor

Re: The Truth will set you free... or kill you.

We have zero free press.

naidrocsiD
Frequent Contributor

Well they are free to report on absolutely trivial things.  I thought the local news was supposed to cover the trivial things because of their lack of funding.  Instead, the most local of news organizations have more freedom for creative journalism than the big ones due to their corporate/political ties.  I wonder if there is a pattern between theologies of top news management…  On second thought, no, I really don’t.  Hmmm….

Remember when comic books would glorify the journalist for sticking up for the little guy (Spiderman, Superman, etc.)?  There are no more real journalists left.  The corporate media would say they are too expensive and not necessary.  

verbatime
Senior Contributor

Tolerance and passiveness has been spoon fed to the young even the NFL is being sissified by the sports urinalist of today.  **bleep** Butkus would have been suspended for half the season if he played today.

gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

What a ridiculous statement.

verbatime
Senior Contributor

@gough whitlam wrote:

What a ridiculous statement.

You may think so but, it's why we have such "A" political sheeple and no real journalist.  Perhaps they're just not smart enough to uncover the corruption in the Saving and Loan Scandal and now the Fannie May and Freddie Mac.  Or why congress has no one smart enough to ask John Corzine a decent question.  Truth is if you've got folks like Pelsi increasing her net worth 4 or 5 million a year or Harry Reid who started with nothing and had nothing but his senate salary getting filthy rich from insider trading why would you ask Corzine a tough question.  They are just a sticking corrupt as  Corzine and the candy arse press.

I watched the Senate hearing on the Savings and Loan debacle years before it blew up and the reason it went on as long as it did was so the senate could get in there and rape and steal everyone's money first.  Bob Kerry of Nebraska got rich off that and so did Ben Nelson as Keating's attorney.

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

My thoughts are that the people are getting what they want.

Your media is paid by 'the free market' that is by those who advertise and that income is determined by the number who watch.

Therefore the people determine what they see.

As I have noted here before most of your 'news' is really entertainment. And it is getting more like that in Canada too.

The question then should be why do so many in society only watch entertainment instead of real information shows.

Many countries have publicly funded media which in most places are mandated to produce only facts and not be politically biased.

Many of these have uncovered some of the stories that this thread has been pointing to, that are not getting coverage.

Check out the BBC

There is a public funded outlet in Ontario that has the motto "Makes you Think".

They do not have news programs but have some excellent in depth programs on many subjects.

You can check them out here http://ww3.tvo.org/ and 'The Agenda' is a great program.

naidrocsiD
Frequent Contributor

Like always, I am appreciative of your thoughts Sir Canuck.  I am not getting what I want from Fox or CNN.  I think we should both stop labeling it by news or entertainment.  You have already pointed out (quite proficiently) that news could be labeled entertainment as well.  These loaded terms stunt discourse.

I would view CNN or FOX a tool to perpetuate discordianism to the masses instead of a mere profit-seeking corporation.  I would also like to emphasize that CNN and FOX have separate laws to follow as opposed to the normal entertainment corporation.

Anyway, I have kind of gotten off my main point.  My main point is this: I believe Americans want the information but have only two corrupted media outlets to get their information from.  The media has been misused and abused over and over again by the powers that be.  The illusion of choice is that there are two instead of one.  There is no choice if both choices mean the same thing.  Many Americans think that if they're not a "republican," well then they must be a "democrat."  Well, if FOX is a little too conservative then they flip to CNN. 

Here's something to ponder.  If you had infinite money to manipulate the masses, would you put all of your eggs in one basket?

verbatime
Senior Contributor

Not sure they may be getting what they want but, I'd say they're getting what they deserve.