cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

The Vatican

Well it is on tonight.  We have a herd of cardinals prancing around the vatican waving their walking sticks at the passing tourists. Tthey all wear a hat or something which would scare the hell out of most birds, dressing in the in colour of purple with brightly colour robes wrapped around grossly rotund figures who obviously indulged in too much alte wine.  If they make a mistake and select another punter to be gods man on earth, he will go on to be the head of a church which has hidden all the child abuse for centuries.  That is something to look forward to.  But wait, there is more.  In true mystical tradition they send a smoke signal to the world of the result either way. Phones, etc are off limits as they like to get their message across directly.  None of those androids, etc for these old guys.  That says it all really about how they connect with todays modern society and they wonder why young people are choosing sex, drugs and rock and roll.  If businesses in Wall street were run like that, they would go broke in no time.  What a wank.

8 Replies
hardnox604008
Advisor

Re: The Vatican

I hope they stay in there for a while. It only took 2 days without a Pope and we got a cure for AIDs- think of the possibilities.

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

@hardnox604008 wrote:

I hope they stay in there for a while. It only took 2 days without a Pope and we got a cure for AIDs- think of the possibilities.

Are you saying the Pope holds back human progress?

hardnox604008
Advisor

Just amused at the thought mostly.

But sure, traditional religion is certainly a drag on the rate of human social change and to some extent that is a role that somebody has to play.

But I do think they are hopelessly behind the curve. While we're debating whether two men or two women want to say they're married or people want to use technology to prevent pregnancy in a time when infant survival has improved by 80% (not a bad thing)  the world has been moving on. 99.99whatever percent of scientific knowledge has been accululated since the time of the scriptures and the formation of the church.

As far as somebody to slow down the rate of human change, how about the fact that we've never, ever, even remotely been close to releasing as much geologically sequestered carbon as we're currently doing and one might think that the precautionary principle might dictate that we proceed with a bit of care. Or many forms of commercial genetic manipulation offer very little in terms of net benefit- again the precautionary principle seems to call for restraint.

Conservative churches in particular may even offer some occasional lip service to environmental matters but when it comes down to it they are much more likely to seek alliance with regressive forces within society because they find support for their traditional issues that they've staked the prestige of the institution on.

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

I note you covered this as your post continued but your comment about carbon release is not a concern for many of the conservative churches.

Indeed many followers of the most conservative seem to oppose and change which would include burning fossil fuels at the greates speed possible.

Opposing any form of birth control when infant mortality, better nutrition and many factors have allowed humans to over populate the earth in rapidly growing numbers.

Religion can do so much good and then turn around and cause so much harm especially when they ignore science in favour of old 'beliefs'.

Samnospam
Advisor

somewhat related

Joe Henrich and his colleagues are shaking the foundations of psychology and economics—and hoping to change the way social scientists think about human behavior and culture. http://www.psmag.com/magazines/pacific-standard-cover-story/joe-henrich-weird-ultimatum-game-shaking...
Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

Interesting

Interesting read Sam.

Thanks for the link.

Will have to read it again to get all out of it but think it jives with what I have felt and argued that cultures make a difference in how we see things and react to things.

That is a quick take from it for me.

And what would you offer or take in the monetary 'game'?

That would be interesting to see how I might react in real life without thinking about it and understanding what it shows.

Samnospam
Advisor

Re: Interesting

Probably 50/50. As the culture would predict. I wonder if it would change in some of our subcultures that have a couple generations on support? Would they act more like the cultures where gifts are expected?
Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

Re: Interesting

Would be interesting but didn't the research using that split the money game show that some would turn down an offer of less than they thought appropriate even though it meant they would get nothing?

So would the 'subculture' you mention, that expects to be given to, take less than 50% or turn it down and lose it all?

Would they offer more or less than the 50% if they were on the giving side?

I expect there are individuals within any group that would go against the tide but what wuld the majority do?

If offered 20% would you take it and have some, or reject it so the person offering would get nothing too???