cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
r3020
Senior Advisor

The flag

Vets and average citizens in Lake County, Florida were really mad, we mean screaming, spitting, hopping, pitchfork mad when this flag went up. It's down now.

7 Replies
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Re: The flag

I didn't know it was legal to do that sort of thing.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

The code is only advisory.  However,

"There can be no breach, as the Flag Code is only advisory. There is a long unchallenged tradition of politicians using the flag. However, the partial flag on her (Palin) bus is recognizable as a flag, so does constitute a US flag. Bashir is correct that the Flag Code states that the flag should never be used for advertising purposes."

Sarah Palin is seen signing a flag for a supporter. Flag Code: "The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature."

So, while not illegal, it is against the code but as this says, politicians have long done things like this.

Samnospam
Advisor

Hard to believe anyone could be stupid enough to do that, given what's implied by putting the picture there.
bruce MN
Advisor

These days Sam you don't need to know very many people to know at least one who would be that stupid.

Not to avoaid a pun, it always could have been the ultimate "false flag" event.  Did anyone report seeing Jim O'keefe in the vicinity?

But not likely, because it was on the dem headquarters pole.  We've got a couple of dreamers and utopia seekers on our county dem central committee who could have put it up and never given a thought to what might be wrong with out.  Damned to near as dumb as a U.S. Congressional committee hearing on an issue that comncerned women's health care and scheduling  exclusively middle aged men to testify.   Enough stupid to go around.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Obama's team is not the only one who has ever done something like this.  As I posted here earlier, palin committed two flag code violations when she was running and many other politicians of both sides have done similar things.  It isn't some underlying code to say he is God or something!  Everyone needs to lighten up a little and the repubs need to do a little research before going apeshiit crazy about something like this.  Once they learn that their side has done it also, then maybe everything would calm down a bit.

ollie2655
Senior Contributor

Re: didnt take obamoites long to RUN

as always

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

I didn't know if it was an actual rule, or just etiquitte, which is why I asked.
When I was in grade school, maybe 5th grade or so, we had an ex-military man as our teacher.  We went to one of the last one-room schools still operating, and he gave some of us the 'privelage' of hoisting and bringing in the flags, for good behavior, or good grades, etc. 
Believe it or not, I got to do that from time to time, and I have little doubt that I was one of the better 5th grade flat-folders around, as he was very precise in how we had to fold, and handle the flag, and I can only imagine the woe that would be unto us, if we were to do anything to 'deface' the flag.  I remember one kid once 'almost' let the corner of the flag touch the ground, and he got a talking to, like you wouldn't believe.  From that experience, I always just thought it was in bad taste to use the flag's image for anything but official purposes, or as a representation of respect, and for some reason thought altering it in any way, for personal gain, was a big no-no. 
I can still remember the time James & I had to re-fold the flag 3 times one afternoon, until we got it 'just right'.  Once, there was a tiny bit of red/white showing, and the other time, it wasn't a tight enough triangle.

funny how things like that stick with a person, yet I can't even remember that teacher's name.