cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: The future for energy?

It has to go to Texas to be refined because the environmental laws in the US will not allow for a new refinery to be built.   They can update & remodel existing ones, but not build a new one.  Google the newest US oil refinery.  Its age will surprise you.  Going by memory, it has been well over 30 years.

Also, with nuclear you can use a 'breeder' plant that re-uses its waste, or even with our old-style plants, there are ways to recycle the waste:

http://www.ask.com/wiki/Nuclear_reprocessing

snip -

Originally reprocessing was used solely to extract plutonium for producing nuclear weapons. With the commercialization of nuclear power, the reprocessed plutonium was recycled back into MOX nuclear fuel for thermal reactors.[2

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

There is a refinery in Philipsburg Kansas for one that can be updated along others to numerous to name--we build ethanol plants in a few months ---that excuse is like the dog ate my homework---the Canadians said they would build it to British Columbia and export the product to guess where----the project going to the Pacific northwest expense would be monumental---it is quite interesting that we have the state of Nebraska to be the Saudi Arabia of water and we would supervised this commodity for a few seasonal jobs and easements of a few $$$ and "not ''have "any " access to the product traveling through our state---Canada is a good neighbor to us with lots of fresh water---maybe someday we will need both--also numerous refinery's have added lots of capacity without adding on real estate ---as far as recycling nuclear lets roll forward to clean up the waste in a holistic way instead of dumping it in just anyone's back yard---the thousands of tons of it keep accumulating--- 

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

@Milligan Hay - Iowa d:^) wrote:

@Canuck_2 wrote:

Millie you have some good future ideas.

Nuclear has potential BUT we really need a good solution for the waste it produces. So far I think that waste, which will remain able to damage life for thousands of years, is just being stored for ???? our grand children to deal with?

There are new technologies that produce no waste with nuclear.  France uses that technology right now.  You harvest the plutonium from a reactor and it makes the fuel that never runs out.  It is a type of "breeder reactor" that does not make waste.... the "waste" is the new fuel.

We do not have that here, because of backward thinking about nuclear.... so, we have the old type of reactors that make waste that has to be disposed of.

NO waste from a nuclear reactor? Are you sure?

Seems to be like a perpetual motion machine, wonderful if it worked that way but you would have to prove it before I would believe it.

BTW I think greenpeace was after France about shipping it's nuclear waste to Russia where it was being stored in Soberia in less than ideal conditions. Of course maybe that was from old reactors or something before they started feeding all the waste back to the reactor.

I do know there were other options to produce power from nuclear that would not have produced as much or as potent a waste product but the decision was made to use our present type because they produced material that could be used to make neclear weapons. How would decisions ever be made without the input of the 'war machine'?

Yes it waas probably backward but not for those who needed atomic bombs.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

If you click on the link I put above, there is a link on that site (yea, I know, link on a link, but I'm too lazy to look it all up again) they have more info on nuclear fuel reprocessing.  Basically, they have a way that lets you re-use the fuel, and take enough radiation out of it, so that it is much less harmful (think the depleted uranium they use for tank-buster bullets).  However, as of now, the process is expensive, and it is cheaper to just ship the waste to Russia, or bury it, than to 'safen' it.  The price is coming down, though, to the point that the reprocessed stuff costs about as much to re-fuel a reactor as uranium cost at its peak.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

S. Korean or Iranian version of Festiva?

When are you going to just make the jump from (slightly)guzzling gas in that glorified golf car to electric? LOL Does it have to do with the range and where your daily driving is concentrated?

BTW, I didn't even know that Ford made them in Iran until I saw Top Gear the other morning and looked up the Festiva, and they even made a truck version too.

You can do your own conversion, and for considerably less than the Aptera too although it does have some nice styling to it.

Highlighted
Advisor

Hey Tom

How ya' doin? Rehabs and retrofits been pickin up? I'd think they might be. "Fish gotta swim and bird gotta fly".  And people need a roof, do they not?

Senior Contributor

Re: Hey Tom

Yeah, quite a bit actually. I've been busier than I've really wanted to be and in the position that I also didn't want to work my self into, but have. My days are spent drumming up new business and collecting money. The real estate market along with the banks (slowly buy steadily)unloading properties onto the market has been a boon for me, or I should say us. Our son said screw college and is a partner now along with a former employee that can't work with his tools now because of a car wreck. Materials and trusses were such an issue that we bought a closed truss plant because of availability issues, but yet our business alone couldn't support or maintain them. It isn't the plan that I had in mind or had even stuck to until a few months ago, but I had to adjust or else. We're doing the short-term GIGOGP(get in, get out, get paid) work for small to medium sized businesses and also doing retro's for a couple of investment outfits as before, but with a bigger intensity than before.

I'm not looking forward to the winter because I'm kind of blowin' in the wind on having all the bases covered without taking on some more people and equipment. It feels as though it may be the tipping point where it has the potential to make or break things if there's a glitch somewhere along the way. 

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: S. Korean or Iranian version of Festiva?

@tomtoolbag wrote:

When are you going to just make the jump from (slightly)guzzling [sipping] gas in that glorified golf car to electric? LOL Does it have to do with the range and where your daily driving is concentrated?

BTW, I didn't even know that Ford made them in Iran until I saw Top Gear the other morning and looked up the Festiva, and they even made a truck version too.

You can do your own conversion, and for considerably less than the Aptera too although it does have some nice styling to it.

I would like to make the change today, but I want to find electric motors that are hard magnet instead of field induction.  The latter takes electric power from the battery just to make a magnetic field for the motor to work.

I figure that in Iowa, with the winters that we have, I will have to retain the Festiva to get through the nasty weather and park it in the garage when the weather is nice.  The Aptera is very well designed to get the maximum impact from low air drag and is better suited for nice weather.  I might consider changing over the Festiva when the gas engine finally wears out on one of my Festivas.  One is a manual transmission, and the other one my daughter is driving while at college has automatic transmission.  That one has the perfect body and I have not rebuilt that engine and transmission yet.... so, that would be the car that gets the change over.

Say, didn't you say that your son is working on car conversions?  Maybe I could let him do the conversion if he has contacts with finding the electrical components.  My daily driving range is about 100 miles or less.

[Edit... I forgot to answer your question.... My Festiva was made in Korea.  I did not find any info about any being built in Iran.  Are you perhaps thinking of the Fiesta instead?

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: That's just silly

Whose energy are they harvesting? Much of it is on public lands. I think it is our oil not the oil producing companies.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: S. Korean or Iranian version of Festiva?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Festiva  This is where I found the info about the various places and companies that made the Festiva over the years.

Yes, my son has done a few car conversions and is doing 2 now, and one of the recent past ones was hit while parked and a big nightmare ensued because of the age of the car and it's salvage value because of the conversion. I'm not exactly sure who the insurance company was but it seemed as though things constantly changed or were in limbo mostly because of the batteries and controller and trying to determine a salvage value of them. They got it fixed though and it's been back on the road for a couple of weeks now. He has 2 more cars in the process and borrowed some money to have the batteries shipped, but I don't have any idea as to when they're supposed to be finished. He buys the batteries and controllers in a pair because of the pricing/shipping. I've been too busy to follow along with them and we made him move out this summer. He's in a hurry to be a grown-up and he thought that being treated as an adult didn't require man-ning up on his part or that it was selective or part-time. He's realized exactly how many hours are in a day now too.