cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

The game real men play.

On the weekend  the US play Australia in one of the rounds of the Rugby World Cup. I have never seen the yanks get down and dirty on the field so do not know what to expect.  Our Wallabies are right up there with the best.  I hope your boys put it right up to them.

11 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Re: The game real men play.

Gough, Your risking the roth of Craig,    He's Irish you know,    You can see where i'm coming from can't you. ??? lol

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Hmmmmmmmmmm. Your probably right but he hasn't expressed anything about rugby before.  I think I will run the gauntlet on this one. BTW - most of us here are Irish too, including me.

Highlighted

http://www.usarugby.org/#goto/Mens_Eagles

Thanks for your gracious sportsmanship but it doesn't look like the USA is quite up to the top ranks at present.  I haven't followed them at all, but do recall a miracle upset against Fiji a number of years back.

It's a great game. American football took a very different track from those roots a long time ago. It's evolved into a pretty extraordinary spectacle but I'd like to see some of those 300# behemoths go the distance in rugby without going to the sidelines for a snort of oxygen.

I played a bit with the club team many years ago in college but couldn't keep up with the parties after the games. Which is saying something.  They did rigorously adhere to that rugby tradition. I recall one party with a bathtub filled with grain alcohol punch and a girl in a bikini in the tub serving with a ladle. 

Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Yea but Craig makes a point of letting others know he is.              And don't forget, you will have to play England at some stage, 

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

I always wondered how those Aussies could play rugby, and not wind up with shattered bones, or permanent brain damage.

Then again, maybe they don't  Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

@gough whitlam wrote:

Hmmmmmmmmmm. Your probably right but he hasn't expressed anything about rugby before.  I think I will run the gauntlet on this one. BTW - most of us here are Irish too, including me.

Now that explains a lotSmiley Wink

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Because Rugby is an international sport most are familiar with it.  The local game is Rugby League and if you want to see big grown men throws themselves at one another at top speed, get yourselves a copy of one of the state of origin games. These guys wear no pads or helmets like those pussies over there. Just pure hard hits and lot of testosterone and adrenalin.

Knucky - what is that slur about being Irish?  I cannot help it if my G/grandfather jumped a leaky tub with a multitude of introduced species of rats and rabbits.  And most of them are still here.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

It is with regret to report the game went as I thought.  But there is comfort in it for you guys with the knowledge your boys belted the crap out of our bruisers.  Well done boys.

Australia's convincing 67-5 victory over the United States in Wellington came at a costly price after a host of stars including full-back Kurtley Beale were hit by injury.

The Wallabies ran in 11 tries to one but if the celebrations were already put on hold after the shock loss to Ireland last week, they were further silenced when Anthony Fainga'a was stretchered off on full-time.

The Queensland Reds centre was knocked unconscious after taking a knee to the head and received attention for several minutes before being taken off the field.

He is likely to be joined in the casualty ward after Rob Horne (fractured cheekbone), Wycliff Palu (hamstring) and Beale (leg) were all substituted relatively early in the piece.

But outside back replacement Pat McCabe's injury could be the most serious with a suspected dislocated shoulder in the second half.

In a must-win match after last week's 15-6 defeat, the Wallabies withstood a gallant first-half display by a largely second-string US side but eventually ran in 11 tries as their superior physicality and slick handling shone through.

Adam Ashley-Cooper bagged a hat-trick while Fainga'a (two), Horne, Beale, McCabe, Rocky Elsom, Drew Mitchell, and Radike Samo all also crossed for five-pointers.

Quade

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

@gough whitlam wrote:

Because Rugby is an international sport most are familiar with it.  The local game is Rugby League and if you want to see big grown men throws themselves at one another at top speed, get yourselves a copy of one of the state of origin games. These guys wear no pads or helmets like those pussies over there. Just pure hard hits and lot of testosterone and adrenalin.

Knucky - what is that slur about being Irish?  I cannot help it if my G/grandfather jumped a leaky tub with a multitude of introduced species of rats and rabbits.  And most of them are still here.

Remember someone pointing out that there are fewer injuries in rugby than in 'football' as it is played in North America.

Seems fit people chasing down a ball do not do as much harm when they 'tackle' someone as a grossley overweight person in an armoured suit of pads and protective panels does when the fall on someone.

As for those ancestors, well we can choose our friends but not our ancestors.

I also have some 'Irish' blood in my ancestory but if I remember correctly there was a rider attached to that about it being 'English' from Ireland.Smiley Wink

I even have a number of USA ancestors, or at least ancestors who used to live in what is now the US. They got booted out because they were loyal to the government and the rebels did not like that.