cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

The nearly billion recalled eggs?

Print reports list a number of farms but wondering if you guys in Ia. know if they are all under the Dekoster umbrella? Ratigan did a feature on it this afternoon and said the eggs were Dekosters.

Any light to shed on the matter? The biggest swine integrator up here is creating sub companies to spred out visibility (and liability?). The most notable dairy in So. Mn is doing it also. Has Pirate Jack done that?

7 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: The nearly billion recalled eggs?

Don't have a clue about DeCoster Farms being involved with the tainted eggs, but don't you think that is a scam? After all, how many folks eat their eggs runny with soft yokes anyway.  

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Yep the eggs are from Wright county eggs at Galt Iowa about 25 miles from my Iowa farm. Yes the news networks attribute the operation to Jack Decoster and cited all the violations he has made and a the sizable fines and penalties he has paid.

I'm not aware of whether the salmonella out breaks are a result of any violation. Anyway it will be one heck of a job to clean out and repopulate millions of birds

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Do the birds have to be destroyed? I don't know. I thought the eggs were handled improperly as in not refrigerated soon enough or something.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I have seen Wright County Egg and Hillandale Farms of Iowa listed as the two egg producers responsible for the salmonella outbreak.   Wright County Egg is part of DeCoster's operation but I don't believe Hillandale Farms is although news reports have said both companies use Quality Egg LLC which is also owned by DeCoster to supply [young chickens] and feed to both companies.  

It is hard to say with DeCoster as he is slick operator that seems to keep one step ahead of the law.  A few years back after repeated illegal manure spreading and multiple manure leaks the state imposed a moratorium on DeCoster from building any new factory farms.  DeCoster simply had a new company ran by his son continue to build.  Investigations show the son didn't have the money but was getting his funding from daddy.   Then a couple years later when there was a raid on DeCosters buildings which resulted in the detention of many illegal immigrants DeCoster claimed he had no knowledge of illegals working for him because he had an outside agency doing his hiring for him.  I'm betting the hiring agency was funded and started by DeCoster.  DeCoster was also able to escape serious damage later when a young female Hispanic worker said she was raped by older Hispanic workers over her and she was threatened with having her illegal status exposed if she reported the crime.  About the same time there was a young male Hispanic worker kidnapped from his house at night and roughed up and threatened by DeCoster workers because they believed he was responsible for damaging a computer at a DeCoster farm site. 

I'm sure you already know about DeCoster's history of terrible treatment of his workers back east and later here in Iowa as well.  He is famous for providing housing that is unsafe and unsanitary.  I've heard stories about him buying large abandoned farm houses around here and renting them out to his workers with several families sharing a single house.  I'm sure if you are here illegal you are hesitant to complain to loudly.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

DeCoster is nothing but trouble everywhere he's been.  Caused loads of problems here in Maine, and paid some massive fines.  Even pled guilty to a cruelty to animals charge recently.  

http://newsblaze.com/story/20100616084747rose.nb/topstory.html

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

That would definitely ompound the problem but I think that salmonella outbreaks within units and are really tricky to get control of.

Typically eggs from suspect units are sent to egg breaking plants where they're turned into pasteurized liquid egg for the commercial market.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

OH, NO!!  Not in Iowa!  The birth place of all that is holy??  Illegals?  Perish the thought.  NO ONE in Iowa would ever do anything illegal or unethical!!