cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: The not so luscious Palin

After witnessing yet another Twins disappointment (At least they can blame the umps for part of this one.) on TV this afternoon I started surfing the channels and stopped on CNN for a minute.  They had a reporter and camera crew on following Palin's bus around.   The reporter was at the Gettysburg Civil War battle field and said they thought Palin might be making a stop there but they weren't sure but wanted to be there ready in case she did stop.  I remember thinking who cares?  She is not an announced candidate for POTUS.  She does not have an announced planned speech she will give there.  I could understand it if it was FOX but why does CNN give her so much air time?

Hopefully Repubs will come up with a better choice then Palin as I feel she is lacking in some of the qualities I prefer in a presidential candidate.

"How would you feel if you committed your your time and energy to a politician thinking she was what she said she was only to be sorely disappointed?" 

Don, I think that has occurred many times to voters in both parties and think there are some in your party that have those same concerns with Obama and his promise for change and bringing our troops home. 

Advisor

Never seen a team so snake bitten. Am hoping this is just an odd season and not a sign that the Twins are about to become fo Timberwolves of baseball. The new Pirates.

It's becoming hard to watch, just waiting for "what's next"..

Are you still planning on coming up?

Honored Advisor

Hey Bruce, Sarah has a traditional view of the Constitution, someone happy with the 1970`s or 80`s interpretation or back to it`s ratification for that matter would be perfectly satisfied with a President Palin.  Liberals today, Barack in particular, ramped up with Clinton have taken the country hard left, socially, economically and foreign policywise.  Sarah knows what manual labor is, Barack doesn`t.  I understand you liberals confuse her "plain talk" with lack of intelligence.  Many times those who have had to sweat for a living do not talk like they swallowed a Thesaurus, yet I would stack up their smarts against a liberal who has been a professional belly-acher all their lives.  Sarah`s idea??.... a radical one "Let`s follow the Constitution in a manner that doesn`t cause the Founding Fathers to spin in their graves.   Why don`t liberals write a book about why it`s best moving forward to trash Traditional values, instead of character assassinations of those that hold Traditional views?  By the way wasn`t Barack Hussein Obama the only one who actually robbed Medicare?

Honored Advisor

Hey Don, I really doubt Sarah will run, but who knows.  The media is so against her, she couldn`t win nationally.  She isn`t a phoney, were she to get in I can`t see her turning into a Gun hating, baby killing, homosexual promoting, spendthrift.  I`m sure behind the scenes Sarah is a Diva, most women like that are, but if I can live with Divas so can the rest of the country.  I would like to see Ron Paul get in, but after this country has went in the crapper since `08 I`ll support any Republican that gets the nomination and unless Democrats turn their party a complete 180°, back to a JFK if you will, I would never support another.

Honored Advisor

Hey Gough, the guy who wrote the book did it for one reason only...money.  What kind of employee hangs around if things are that bad? ...one who`s going to write a book with tainted evidence, that`s who.  Oh, if Sarah won, he`d be a loyal subject with some cushy advisor job but when the ride come to a stop in 4 or 8 yrs out would come the book with even more manufactured dirt.  Sarah is the real deal, my cousin and her family lived in Alaska a number of years and Sarah was the only Governor that wouldn`t rollover for the oil companies.   I`m all for businesses looking out for themselves but you need the otherside as well, Governor Palin making sure the people don`t get screwed.  

Veteran Advisor

WHY do YOU think she is any different??  How many books has she written since failing at the VP race?  How many millions has she made since 2008?  She isn't touring to campaign for president--she is touring to promote sarah palin!  Yeah, and my neighbor's 2nd cousin's father-in-law on his wife's side's gardener once lived next door to palin and he says...

Senior Advisor

You're right Dag. Some of us are disappointed in Obama, but I was skeptical from the first and i did not support his candidacy. I thought he was naive in the first place and never would he ever get the cooperation from the right that he expected. He actually thought he could reason with them.

In fact he could not even negotiate with them as he often gave without getting. It sounds like me buying a car.

In fact, I wish someone would challenge OBama for the nomination, but sadly we will go with what we got and left and right will be both sorely disappointed.

Why have i defended him. Because the right has demonized him and have done nothing to make his task easier. That has determined that I will never vote for a republican again. Not in this lifetime and not in the next.

I can hear Reagan now. "god, don't help the sick aand the poor. They will just become more of a burden on you. Give tax cuts to the rich and they will provide the means to care for people. Yeah they will!"

Advisor

Don said:

"You're right Dag. Some of us are disappointed in Obama, but I was skeptical from the first and i did not support his candidacy. I thought he was naive in the first place and never would he ever get the cooperation from the right that he expected. He actually thought he could reason with them.

In fact he could not even negotiate with them as he often gave without getting. It sounds like me buying a car."

The incomparable Bill Black, in what is as good a piece on the frightful situation in the EU as I've come across, hits on what you say.... right on the nuts:

'One of the great paradoxes is that the periphery’s generally left-wing governments adopted so enthusiastically the ECB’s ultra-right wing economic nostrums – austerity is an appropriate response to a great recession. Even neoclassical economists know that the ECB’s policies towards the periphery are insane. The IMF and ECB impose pro-cyclical policies that make recessions worse. Embracing theoclassical economics isn’t simply harmful to the economy, it’s also political suicide. Why left-wing parties embrace the advice of the ultra-right wing economists whose anti-regulatory dogmas helped cause the crisis is one of the great mysteries of life. Their policies are self-destructive to the economy and suicidal politically. Lemmings don’t really follow each other and jump off cliffs – that’s fiction. Left-wing European governments, however, continue to support the ultra-right wing policies that the ECB pushes even when they know those policies will harm the economy and cause the left-wing party to be crushed in the next general election. They watch the ECB’s policies fail and their sister parties lose power and then they step forward to do the same.'

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2011/06/bill-black-bad-cop-crazed-cop-%e2%80%93-the-imf-and-the-ecb.h...

--------------

We don't have a functional opposition to what is being proposed by the lunatic gang that is comprised of  baggers and their sponsors at Koch etc. . Black says that the same thing is happeing in the EU....no principled intitutional opposition..just one concession after another, simply rolling over.. And, FWIW, it probably wouldn't have been any different with Hillary...she slept (for a time anyway) with the guy who told the "new" Democrats it was safe to go outside and play with the bastards. 

Senior Advisor

THAT brought out a chuckle!  Our problem is when we win we win with blue dog democrats which are equated with moderate republicans. Now I beleive in compromise and getting things done but capitulating to the right that negotiates on nothing is mindless.

We allow the right to stipulate what they want and then strive to get them to give up little of anything. No matter where the final deal ends, the right is always the winner. Perhaps not all they want but way more than we should give them.

A bunch of petulant whiners demanding every thain and if nothing gets done they are happy with that because they don't want to do anything but starve the beast and they want the little people to pay what needs paying.

Senior Contributor

Don, talking about some dems being unhappy with Obama got me to thinking.   When was the last time a sitting POTUS did not win his party's nomination?   Seems like most times both parties want to win the White House so bad they will willingly nominate a POTUS they are not that thrilled with simply because they feel he gives them the best chance of winning.  

I don't think Palin will run but may be trying to set herself up for another VP slot although I'm betting and hoping she will not even get that.  I think now days we have people "running" for president that have no expectation or even real hopes of winning but do it simply because it looks good on their resume being an ex-presidential candidate.  It helps them sell books, get speaking gigs and a job on FOX, MSNBC or some other station looking to fill up their 24/7 time slots.

I did hear a couple of interesting quotes about Palin the other day.  Conservative George Will said Americans will not allow Palin to have the keys to our country's nuclear arsenal.  On the other side of the aisle I believe it was Lawrence O'Donnell that said Palin already has made more money then God intended her to make.  

We are still hoping to make it up for game Bruce just not sure when.  They claim the Twins are finally starting to get healthy so hopefully that will help.  Good to see Thome back swinging the bat.  Hopefully when Mauer returns it will help spark them back into playing like a contender.